Adam Rippon | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
OMG! What happened with Adam? I really believe he will be very good after the amazing performance at US Nationals.. Yes, I agree with LRK, come back strong in the free program!
Honestly, nothing too bad happened to him performance-wise. Only the axel was disruptive. But the double downgrades really killed the score... kinda a Dai-in-Sochi scenario. :no:

On the positive side, I really appreciated how he used his hands in his performance. Truly attention to detail down to the fingertips. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Honestly, nothing too bad happened to him performance-wise. Only the axel was disruptive. But the double downgrades really killed the score... kinda a Dai-in-Sochi scenario. :no:

On the positive side, I really appreciated how he used his hands in his performance. Truly attention to detail down to the fingertips. :)

That was the thing I was most relieved to see. Seeing the score and how far down he was had me really worried at first. But the main thing is that he seems to have learned how to deal with the mistakes - and not let that disrupt his performance too much. I mean, obviously, it won't be "the same" as a clean - or almost-clean - skate; but as I said, he kept it together - which gives me hope for the free. I do hope he'll go out there and give a killer performance - as he now has proven to us all that he can do.:)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

When I wrote my post I didn't see the program. I only saw the the scores and the rank. I love Adam in this season. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
When I wrote my post I didn't see the program. I only saw the the scores and the rank. I love Adam in this season. :)
Yeah, only seeing the scores would definitely be the stuff of nightmares. I just searched videos according to skate order, without looking at the results first. So I was able to enjoy most of the program... only to see the << on slow-mo. :hopelessness:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Disappointing, but not a surprise (and I wanted so badly to be surprised)...

At least I can take comfort in Joshua landing in the top 5. The tech panel was absolutely brutal to both Adam and Jason.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't think he can make up enough lost ground in the FS given some of the other scores. I just want him to put up a good fight.

LRK

Record Breaker
I was sorry to see Adam's placement, but then I watched the program - and I just loved his performance! He just grabs one's attention and doesn't let go. That's what we saw glimmers of last season, and which was out in full force in Nationals - and it was there now as well. Come back even stronger for Worlds' Adam - and show us all what we know you can do.:)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Adam wasn't perfect, but I still admire him for not playing it safe, and I certainly enjoyed his skating more than many others who placed above him...oh well. The heart wants what it wants.

Adam's lovely performance from the MediaMarkt Eisgala in December (he skates with a live band):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_QFe0C_jLI

LRK

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed Adam's performance today - pity about the URs and resulting low score, but... at least he gave it all, and didn't hold back.

Note: Both he and Misha were sporting beards/stubble - have they picked up on Plushy's non-shaving superstition, I wonder? :)

LRK

Record Breaker
http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/uncategorized/2015-world-championships-wcshanghai/

(link posted by shaker in the ladies' SP thread)

"Adam Rippon (11th place, 75.14 points)

(on short program) I’m kind of mad right now. I’m going to take my feeling and channel it into my long program. I want to use that energy to skate better tomorrow and do a cleaner quad Lutz. I would like to be the first man to land a clean quad Lutz at the World Championships.

I wanted to show the judges and audience my very best. I’ve been working very hard on the quad Lutz because nobody else in the world does it. I’m really proud of how I skated today. It’s not the score I wanted but tomorrow I hope to have a great skate.

For the free, I want to do the best quad Lutz that I can and then perform all of my other elements to the highest GOE possible."

That's good - that's very good, Adam; be mad, be very, very mad - give in to the Dark Side of the Force.... Oops! Okay, scratch the last one - but yeah, be angry, and show us all what you can really do! :thumbsup:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/uncategorized/2015-world-championships-wcshanghai/

(link posted by shaker in the ladies' SP thread)

"Adam Rippon (11th place, 75.14 points)

(on short program) I’m kind of mad right now. I’m going to take my feeling and channel it into my long program. I want to use that energy to skate better tomorrow and do a cleaner quad Lutz. I would like to be the first man to land a clean quad Lutz at the World Championships.

I wanted to show the judges and audience my very best. I’ve been working very hard on the quad Lutz because nobody else in the world does it. I’m really proud of how I skated today. It’s not the score I wanted but tomorrow I hope to have a great skate.

For the free, I want to do the best quad Lutz that I can and then perform all of my other elements to the highest GOE possible."

That's good - that's very good, Adam; be mad, be very, very mad - give in to the Dark Side of the Force.... Oops! Okay, scratch the last one - but yeah, be angry, and show us all what you can really do! :thumbsup:

I like that Adam wants to channel his frustration into positive results, but Adam ... your FS is lovely. You don't need a quad lutz. Forget the quad lutz, and just skate like you can skate. Please???

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't understand something. Maybe it would be good question in Stupid question thread..;) Why he wants to do 4Lz? He invested a lot of energy into those jump, but that is so hard. Wouldn't have been better if he learned the 4t?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I like that Adam wants to channel his frustration into positive results, but Adam ... your FS is lovely. You don't need a quad lutz. Forget the quad lutz, and just skate like you can skate. Please???

The thing is, if he can at least get it to a single carrot vs a double carrot, it is not so bad in the Free.

You have to look at what he would replace it with, he does not exactly have a quad that is more secure that he can add, so he likely would have to go with a 2A. A 2A is worth 3.3 a 4Z< is worth 9.5, even a 4Z<< is worth 6.00 or 3.9 with all negative GOE. The max he can get with positive GOE on the 2A is 4.8. So even a worst case scenario, he is only losing .9 points off of a perfect 2A.

He could I guess do a 3F+2T+2L and do the Salchow separately. But I am not sure how much that would help pointwise, plus it would mean more changes to the program.

Really at this point I think i would rather seem him struggle with a 4Z than a 4T.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't understand something. Maybe it would be good question in Stupid question thread..;) Why he wants to do 4Lz? He invested a lot of energy into those jump, but that is so hard. Wouldn't have been better if he learned the 4t?

Hasn't he attempted the 4T earlier with no more success than the 4Z? I think for him the lutz is just the jump he is most comfortable with so for him trying it as the quad is just, I don't want to say easier, but more comfortable/more familiar. If a 4T gives him knots in his gut and a 4Z excites him, I think the 4Z is almost certainly the better choice.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Hasn't he attempted the 4T earlier with no more success than the 4Z? I think for him the lutz is just the jump he is most comfortable with so for him trying it as the quad is just, I don't want to say easier, but more comfortable/more familiar. If a 4T gives him knots in his gut and a 4Z excites him, I think the 4Z is almost certainly the better choice.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It seems to me he enjoys having something that sets him apart from the rest (used to be the Rippon lutz, now many others are doing it). I understand why he wants it, although the odds of him getting 4lz ratified seem quite small at this point. I think he still got a bit hosed in his score, but it's not a surprise, sadly.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I didn't dare say this in the men's thread, but I thought Adam's 4Lz looked more < than <<. Considering the difficulty of the element, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It does seem like a silly thing to try in the SP (though I think it remains a good idea in the LP)... but it seems to be very important to Adam, so no surprise that he won't take it out. And hey, he stood up and (IIRC) landed on one foot this time, which is probably a better attempt and a harder move than anything the other men can do, even if the scores don't reflect it.

paulusfr

On the Ice
I didn't dare say this in the men's thread, but I thought Adam's 4Lz looked more < than <<. Considering the difficulty of the element, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry, but < is only 90°. Adam's 4Lz was 180° UR, this is evident even without repeat, and based on the rules this is <<
Personally, I'm more concerned on his 3Lz again was <