Adam Rippon | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon

LRK

Record Breaker
I think that since he wants to go for it - the more he does it, the better. Ergo both in the SP and the FP. Maybe not in the short run - but in the long, to gain familiarity with it, and make it more... well, I'm not sure it's the right expression, but... a matter of course for him. Instead of this extra difficult thing he's adding.

Last year at Nationals I think it was a wrong decision to go for - I believe it was the 4T? - instead of the 4Lz that he'd been attempting the rest of the season. I think it just served to throw him off. If you've once committed to a course of action - best stick to your guns.

andromache

Record Breaker
A few days late, but congratulations to Adam for helping the US men keep three spots for Boston!

I admit I did not think Adam would be the #2 US man at this WC, but I'm pleased to have been proven wrong. It was also nice to see the international judges give him higher PCS for his LP after they shafted him in the SP. His skating has excellent quality when he's on.

I keep seeing shade thrown Adam's way online even after his good result in Shanghai. :shrug: I'm looking forward to him continuing to work on that quad lutz and his programs for next year. Gooooo Adam!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Really proud of what Adam did at Worlds. No, 4Lz didn't come close, but he hit pretty much everything else (which I actually didn't expect--I thought it was a total "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks strategy").

Since it seems like he's continuing, I just hope he's more confident next year. He can hit the triple axels, when he believes he can. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Yeah, that is a sign of real improvement - his 3As. They have been his Achilles heel as long as I can remember, at any rate - it's nice to see him land some with confidence.:)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
A few days late, but congratulations to Adam for helping the US men keep three spots for Boston!

I admit I did not think Adam would be the #2 US man at this WC, but I'm pleased to have been proven wrong. It was also nice to see the international judges give him higher PCS for his LP after they shafted him in the SP. His skating has excellent quality when he's on.

I keep seeing shade thrown Adam's way online even after his good result in Shanghai. :shrug: I'm looking forward to him continuing to work on that quad lutz and his programs for next year. Gooooo Adam!

This! I hope that he is selected for WTT so that we can see his programs again!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know that I'm very late to the party (I haven't been following figure skating closely for the past few years, so basically I only watch the highlights on Canadian television), but I just wanted to say that I've fallen in love with Adam's skating all over again after watching his breathtaking free skate at Worlds. :love: (CBC TV didn't broadcast his SP, unfortunately.) I haven't been this spellbound by one of his performances since I attended the 2010 Skate Canada International, where I had the great privilege and pleasure to watch Adam win the bronze medal with two splendid programs, plus he had a magical exhibition number. :yay: The Canadian crowd absolutely adored him at that event, and we gave Rippon a standing ovation for both his SP and LP. I distinctly remember that the only male skater who had received louder cheers was Patrick Chan, and it felt like we kind of "adopted" Adam as one our own. :)

I was a fan of Adam's when Orser was his coach, but then I got very upset when their partnership ended, and I gradually lost interest in his career soon afterwards. Because I had only followed the Canadian coverage for figure skating, I had no idea that Rippon had earned the silver medal at the U.S. Nationals earlier this year, or that he had won the free skate in spectacular fashion, so I didn't expect to see him at Worlds. But when his face suddenly appeared on my TV, I actually exclaimed out loud, "Oh my God, Adam!" It was like rediscovering treasure that I once thought was lost forever. Without knowing exactly how he would perform, I knew it had to be good because there was no other reason for the CBC to air his LP when the network purposely ignored his SP. Adam's performance managed to replicate the joy and wonder I felt at the 2010 SC, and I was shocked when I became misty-eyed after he took his final pose---in all of my years following this sport, I've only cried twice before. At that moment, I realized just how much I had missed seeing Adam skate so well and so beautifully.

I probably sound like a silly, emotional fangirl, but it's nothing short of a miracle for me to renew my love for a skater whom I believed for years would not be able to recapture his former brilliance. (The CBC did broadcast Rippon's programs at the 2013 SA, but I recall at the time that they didn't really affect me on an emotional level even though he had a good competition.) If Adam is planning to continue for one more season, then I'll be very happy to follow his career again and support him every step of the way. :rock:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I love your custom title, siberia82!

I hope Adam continues, too. And there's nothing wrong with being a silly, emotional fangirl here. ;)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Perhaps Adam is more a Johnny Weir-type, as opposed to a Jeremy Abbott-type.
To my eyes at least, Adam's style is a hybrid between Buttle's and Weir's. There is at least one figure skater who sees the connection to Buttle; David Pelletier was a guest commentator for the CBC bold coverage of the 2010 SC, and he mentioned that Rippon's skating reminded him a lot of Jeff's.

This! I hope that he is selected for WTT so that we can see his programs again!

Adam is listed as a substitute: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00468311.htm

I love your custom title, siberia82!
*giggles* Thanks! :biggrin:

And there's nothing wrong with being a silly, emotional fangirl here. ;)
Yay! :cheer: I may have let out a girlish "Squee!" when I gave Adam a high-five after the medal ceremony at the 2010 SC. :p

slider11

Medalist
I am disappointed not to see Adam at the WTT. I get it that the usfsa wanted to give Max something. It would have been nice, though, to see if he could have put two strong programs out there internationally. But he had his chance at 4CC and that didn't go so well; fortunately Worlds were better and he was a respectable 8th. I think the judges are saying with his PCs that if he can keep the jumps including the 4Lutz a bit more solid, he has a shot at top 5. I am anxious to see him next year!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
According to Twitter land, Adam will skate next season! I think he will have a strong season, 4Z or no 4Z ( but with a consistant 4 Z he will be a real threat). I just have a feeling :shrug:, he has learned all his lessons, he is experienced and he's hungry for a national title.

Also. I guess Adam made a speech this weekend t the Governing Council and it moved people to tears? Wish I could have heard it.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
According to Twitter land, Adam will skate next season! I think he will have a strong season, 4Z or no 4Z ( but with a consistant 4 Z he will be a real threat). I just have a feeling :shrug:, he has learned all his lessons, he is experienced and he's hungry for a national title.

Also. I guess Adam made a speech this weekend t the Governing Council and it moved people to tears? Wish I could have heard it.

Here you go

http://figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/home/profile/

Celine

On the Ice
Adam has the gift of being an engaging story teller - both on and off the ice. A thoughtful and lovely speech "on paper" - it must have been such a wonderful speech to hear him deliver in person.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
When I saw the Instagram post, my reaction was lukewarm, because a few skaters have used an instrumental version of the song which sounds like Muzak to me...then I saw this:

@fsonline 58m58 minutes ago
.@Adaripp confirmed he is using the original Freddie Mercury vocal version of "Who Wants to Live Forever" for his SP:

Very cool! I can't wait to see it. :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
When I saw the Instagram post, my reaction was lukewarm, because a few skaters have used an instrumental version of the song which sounds like Muzak to me...then I saw this:

@fsonline 58m58 minutes ago
.@Adaripp confirmed he is using the original Freddie Mercury vocal version of "Who Wants to Live Forever" for his SP:

Very cool! I can't wait to see it. :)

I had a feeling he was going to use the vocal version. Glad he made the right decision.

LRK

Record Breaker
As a staunch anti-vocal-lyrics-ist myself.... I think this is a case where an exception could be made.;) I do believe Adam could do something really good with this - a few years back I don't think I would have been so sanguine... but now that he doesn't hold back on the performance, and really gives it his all and shows us what he really can do... Yes, this could be really good.:)

(Nulla regula sine exceptione.)