Michael Christian Martinez | Golden Skate

Michael Christian Martinez

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
just bumped into his facebook, he is gaining followers now
though I assume most are a bit delusional, gold for Sochi ? :unsure:
I think its safe to say most of the followers are FS newbies but that's ok, for a pioneering FS country
his country could potentially see a new FS boom followers like in Korea

I think he has potential maybe Top 10 or 15 in 2018 Olympics
he is regarded as the Philippine's "Kim Yuna" version for his ubers

facebook fan page:
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelChristianMartinezOfficialFanPage

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
just bumped into his facebook, he is gaining followers now
though I assume most are a bit delusional, gold for Sochi ? :unsure:
I think its safe to say most of the followers are FS newbies but that's ok, for a pioneering FS country
his country could potentially see a new FS boom followers like in Korea

I think he has potential maybe Top 10 or 15 in 2018 Olympics
he is regarded as the Philippine's "Kim Yuna" version for his ubers

facebook fan page:
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelChristianMartinezOfficialFanPage

Awesome! I noticed him earlier, while looking for young upcoming skaters.
He's really flexible!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
OMG! That's actually pretty good! I love how he uses his arms :eek: A lot of potential indeed! Also, his Beilmann is so- wow! it's even better than Yuzu's!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Link to news report that Philippine retail giant SM will support Michael's training for the 2018 Olympics:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/04/21/14/sm-vows-support-michael-martinez-olympics-bid

There was a discussion in another thread of how much it costs a topflight skater for training, etc. with $160,000 being a low estimate per Patrick Chan's father so I'm glad SM has vowed to help out Michael financially. We may see Michael as the Philippines's first Winter Olympics medalist yet. :)

BusyMom

Medalist
Link to news report that Philippine retail giant SM will support Michael's training for the 2018 Olympics:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/04/21/14/sm-vows-support-michael-martinez-olympics-bid

There was a discussion in another thread of how much it costs a topflight skater for training, etc. with $160,000 being a low estimate per Patrick Chan's father so I'm glad SM has vowed to help out Michael financially. We may see Michael as the Philippines's first Winter Olympics medalist yet. :)

Congratulation to Michael. Wish him good luck for his future.

BusyMom

Medalist
wow! that is great news, I wonder if we can send him to Canada too, haha

I wonder about that too. I think there is one of the coach there who is Filipino. I saw many YouTube's video of him handles the Harness at the Cricket club

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^It would be a dream come true if Michael will be able to train beside Yuzuru in Toronto, but I think right now with Javier and Nam also under him, Brian Orser already has his hands full.

My wish for Michael is that he will be able to be matched with a coach who can take him to the next level as Brian Orser did Yuzuru.

Here's a link to a recent article on Michael: http://www.illustradolife.com/?p=8977.

There he describes himself thus: "I am an ordinary kid who loves to sing, dance, draw and make origami. I was born asthmatic. I literally grew up in the hospital and I still have asthma until now. But my sickness doesn’t deter me from pursuing my Olympic dream – in a sport that is not even common in a tropical country like the Philippines."

foruiz

Final Flight
That's true Maria Victoria... I guess Orser's hands are full right now... and there is no more space left for an extra Disney character, haha!

I have the same wish for him too, I hope he gets to work on his quads and land them perfectly at the soonest as the other juniors are ahead of him in terms of that aspect. But it was great that he beat Hino and Tanaka in Triglav, not that I don't love Team Japan since I really do, haha. Anyway, he is half Japanese so I might just consider him as a pseudo member. :biggrin: Thanks for the link as well!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That's true Maria Victoria... I guess Orser's hands are tied full right now... and there is no more space left for an extra Disney character, haha!

I have the same wish for him too, I hope he gets to work on his quads and land them perfectly at the soonest as the other juniors are ahead of him in terms of that aspect. But it was great that he beat Hino and Taka in Triglav, not that I don't love Team Japan since I really do, haha. Anyway, he is half Japanese so I might just consider him as a pseudo member. :biggrin: Thanks for the link as well!

half Japanese ? source pls

foruiz

Final Flight
half Japanese ? source pls

I read that from a local newspaper (The Philippine Star), unfortunately I cannot seem to find the same news clip in their website.

Anyway in a tweet by Filipino sports journalist Quinito Henson (@TheDeanQuinito) he says "Figure skater Michael Martinez' mom Tess, a single parent, deserves credit for her son's rise-she raised him well, Michael is half-Japanese" This is his tweet dated 12:17 PM - 23 Feb 2014.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Quinito usually has his facts straight.

Michael's being half Japanese may explain why making origami is one of his favorite hobbies. Now I'm thinking that if he makes it to the elite level of skating, because of his Japanese heritage, like the Shibutanis and Mirai Nagasu, he may get invited to the ice shows in Japan where he and Yuzuru can perform their Biellmann spins side by side. OK I'm thinking too far ahead, but I really hope for great things for Michael. :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^Quinito usually has his facts straight.

Michael's being half Japanese may explain why making origami is one of his favorite hobbies. Now I'm thinking that if he makes it to the elite level of skating, because of his Japanese heritage, like the Shibutanis and Mirai Nagasu, he may get invited to the ice shows in Japan where he and Yuzuru can perform their Biellmann spins side by side. OK I'm thinking too far ahead, but I really hope for great things for Michael. :)

He should market himself more in Japan then
but good for him,

maybe being invited in some Japanese Tour/Shows will also generate some additional funding for his skating career

lbc2138

On the Ice
Yay finally a Michael thread!

I got up to see the first flight because of him and I was not disappointed. He looked so lonely at times, not only as the only Filipino skater at the olympics but the only Filipino athlete at the winter olympics. I really like his fighting spirit and he has a lot of what I feel as unharnessed potential. With a good coach, he may have a chance at finishing top 10 maybe even to 5 next olympics. That would be nice at least.

I'm glad he's getting more attention and sponsors, it's definitely worth an investment in a young talent that is so promising. :clap:

foruiz

Final Flight
That is true, I also hope that the support that he gets does not waver until the next quad and beyond. MCM participating in ice shows will be a good idea. Ir will also serve as a good practice for him this off-season, too. And since he can't do quads yet, that idea on a Biellman battle with Yuzu will do. :biggrin: