Michael Christian Martinez | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michael Christian Martinez

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I really enjoy watching him and his flexibility is to die for. But I have a strange feeling that through the last 3 seasons his skating is mostly about the same exhibition of spectacular elements like those spins and streching and there is no actual progress in his skating. And he is one of the most attractive and talented athletes out there on ice. His costumes are good, he has a charming smile and everything but without the proper coaching he will stuck with no development- that is my concern.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, he missed a few months of training this year while waiting for funding to come through, and he had injuries on top of that. So I think the lack of progress is understandable (at least this season). He was only a few points shy of Gachinski, whose performance I found much more disappointing, all things considered. Michael's 17 and he seems like a very hard worker who wants to succeed. Now that funding is no longer a problem, and as long as he manages to stay healthy, nothing should hold him back.

AprilS

On the Ice
Well, he missed a few months of training this year while waiting for funding to come through, and he had injuries on top of that. So I think the lack of progress is understandable (at least this season). He was only a few points shy of Gachinski, whose performance I found much more disappointing, all things considered. Michael's 17 and he seems like a very hard worker who wants to succeed. Now that funding is no longer a problem, and as long as he manages to stay healthy, nothing should hold him back.

I sure hope so! I really want to see him succeed (and become a superstar in the Philippines if possible).

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
Well, he missed a few months of training this year while waiting for funding to come through, and he had injuries on top of that.

What were the issues with funding? I just started checking him out so I don't know very much about his situation.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What were the issues with funding? I just started checking him out so I don't know very much about his situation.

Well, someone else might have more info than I do, but from what I know, he didn't have any private sponsors until very recently. He came to the US to train, but ran out of money to pay a coach for a few months over the summer. Now he has a very lucrative long-term sponsorship deal with a Filipino company (I believe they manage the megamalls where the only ice rinks are located in that country).

chantastic

Rinkside
Well, someone else might have more info than I do, but from what I know, he didn't have any private sponsors until very recently. He came to the US to train, but ran out of money to pay a coach for a few months over the summer. Now he has a very lucrative long-term sponsorship deal with a Filipino company (I believe they manage the megamalls where the only ice rinks are located in that country).

Hello!

The private company sponsoring him manages the three rinks in the country. They're promised to sponsor him up to Pyeongchang Olympics, so I hope that this will be a huge help in his improvement. :)

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
Hello!

The private company sponsoring him manages the three rinks in the country. They're promised to sponsor him up to Pyeongchang Olympics, so I hope that this will be a huge help in his improvement. :)

That's great! I'm glad he doesn't have to worry about that anymore. I really liked his skating and I'd love to see more of him

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He shares his birthday with the King of Ice, Plushenko? That means he must be destined for great things. :) Happy birthday!

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
I am really so proud of this guy. He came from a country with no culture of ice skating. The very few skating rinks available in the Philippines are in malls and are very crowded (I have seen them). So for him to pursue skating shows so much love and passion for the sport. I hope he gets better and his popularity in the Philippines continues to rise so he can get more support. I don't know if he really gets a lucrative or very generous amount of support though. Sometimes these things can be very slow to get. Here's to hoping the best for him. ;)

iceberg

On the Ice
What I love about this guy is his flexibility, i think he has the best bielmann spin by a man across the ice. But also I love his 3Lz+3T. I hope he gets the best training, he has an enormous potential to be one of the greats.

MystiqueDragon

Rinkside
Just upping the thread to say that Michael will compete in Warsaw Cup this Friday/Saturday (because most people are into the GPS sooooo yeah - just a mini reminder).
It seems like PSFA will provide an LS but... there's no link still. I hope they'll update soon enough.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Just upping the thread to say that Michael will compete in Warsaw Cup this Friday/Saturday (because most people are into the GPS sooooo yeah - just a mini reminder).

Animo Michael! (Borrowing the cheer of the rival school of my undergrad college ;)).

I think I already wished him good luck in another thread but good that many people are discussing him and his prospects. :)

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
Animo Michael! (Borrowing the cheer of the rival school of my undergrad college ;)).

I think I already wished him good luck in another thread but good that many people are discussing him and his prospects. :)

So you're Atenean....? Hehehe. ;)

Good luck to Michael! I hope he continues to improve and continue to receive more international support and recognition.