Men’s Ski Jumping | Golden Skate

Men’s Ski Jumping

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Story So Far

In the few years leading up to Vancouver, the story in Ski Jumping was largely a tale of 3 men – Simon Ammann, Thomas Morgenstern and Gregor Schlierenzauer. Adam Malysz was also in the mix, but he retired at the end of the 2010/11 season.

Going into Sochi, and these three are still the favourites. However, they have been going up and down the rankings in the intervening four years.

Morgi has had a very rough couple of years. Last season he was not performing very well at all. He had just become a father, and we were putting it down to the tiredness that comes with having a new baby. But we soon found out that there was more to it than just a baby. Only a matter of weeks later, Tommy and his girlfriend split up.

Morgi was looking good this season. At Titisee-Neustadt, 2 weeks before the Four Hills started, he won his first competition in nearly 2 years. But, the next day, he had a fall, and broke a finger. He sat out Engelberg, but came back for Oberstdorf with his finger in a splint.

After Oberstdorf, Andreas Widhoezl (who is now on the Austrian coaching team) suggested that Tommy needed a splint on his other hand too, because he was over-compensating. But Tommy said that he was finding it hard enough to push off the bar with one hand bound up without the other hand being bound up too!

His results in the Four Hills were actually very good considering he was injured. In fact he finished 2nd overall in the Tournee! But then, during a training round at the next round at Kulm, Morgi had a horrible looking fall. It was awful to watch. He suffered injuries to his head and his lungs.

Unsurprisingly, Morgi hasn’t been in competition since. Yet, despite this, he has now been confirmed as being in the Austrian Olympic team.

Last season, Schlieri became the most successful ski jumper ever, taking away Matti Nykänen’s long-held record of 46 career wins. And he didn’t stop there – he is now into the 50’s. Considering he is only 24, that could become a very big total.

Yet, this season has been a real mixed-bag for Schlieri. After dominating the World Cup last season, he has been up and down like I don’t know what this season! He had 2 wins at the start of the season. But since then, the only times he has been on the podium were the 2 competitions at Kulm.

Like, Schlieri only managed 8th overall in this year’s Four Hills Tournee. Apart from a 4th at home in Innsbruck, he was very disappointing.

Although he is currently 3rd in the World Cup, that is more down to the fact that the points are being spread out because we have had so many different winners this season.

Ammann is now one of the jumpers over thirty. A few years ago, he said that although he has achieved so much in his career, he still had two aims:

1. to win the Four Hills Tournee (as this is the only major title he did not have)
2. to compete at the Sochi Olympics (because his wife is Russian)

Ammann was looking good coming into the Four Hills last season. But then he took sick after the first round at Oberstdorf, and that was the end of that challenge.

In this year’s Four Hills, he came into the final round at Bishofshofen with a very good chance of winning the title. But, he did not have a great landing in his first jump, and lost a lot of style points. His second jump was good, but then Thomas Diethart came along and put in a winning jump.

Simon still hasn’t won the Four Hills. So, I expect that he will continue into next season for another try. I would hate to see somebody as successful as him missing out on having that last major accolade.

I have already mentioned Thomas Diethart in passing. He has been the revelation of this season. I had never heard tell of him before December! He only joined the World Cup at Engelberg and, apart from the farcical competition at Zakopane a couple of weeks ago, his worst finish has been 6th.

In the Four Hills, his worst result was a 5th in Innsbruck. He was 3rd at Oberstdorf, and won at Garmisch and Bishofshofen. Unsurprisingly, he won the title.

The other guy who I believe has an outside chance of a medal is Anders Bardal of Norway. Bardal won the World Cup overall in the 2011/11 season. It was not so much because of number of wins (he only got 3 wins, whereas Schlieri and Andreas Kofler got 5 wins each), but more to do with his sheer consistency.

Currently, Bardal is lying 6th in the World Cup standings. He has only had 1 win this season, and that was the farcical competition at Zakopane. But, he has also had 2 seconds and a third.

For me, these are the guys to watch out for at the Olympics. However, I haven’t even mentioned yet the current Top 2 in the World Cup!

Petr Prevc of Slovenia is currently leading, with Kamil Stoch of Poland in second. This is purely down to consistency. Prevc has had 2 wins this season (his only individual career wins), but has had lots of top 6 finishes, particularly since Innsbruck. Stoch has also had 2 wins this season, but since Titisee-Neustadt, he has only been out of the Top 10 twice, one of those times being the farcical competition at Zakopane.

So, although these guys are at the top of the World Cup, I would not have them as potential Olympic Champions. But, you never know.

Other names to look out for include Noriaki Kasai. The oldest regular competitor in the World Cup at 41 years old, he recently had his first World Cup win in 10 years. Nori has also been having a very good season, and is currently lying 4th overall in the World Cup standings. A dark horse for an Olympic medal, particularly in the Ski Flying!

Another old guy to watch out for is Janne Ahonen. Yes, he is back again! Janne first retired in 2008. But, he came back in 2009/10 for the Olympic season. And he had a very good season, the highlight being finishing 2nd overall in the Four Hills.

But, then he made a mistake. Instead of doing the Summer Grand Prix like a lot of the other jumpers, Janne spent the summer drag racing. When he came back in the 2010/11 season, he was a shadow of the guy we saw just a few months earlier. And, ultimately, he decided to retire again.

Nordic sports in Finland are still struggling to get over the doping scandal in cross-country of 2001. But, last season, things got to crisis point in ski jumping. Their top jumper, Matti Hautamaeki, had retired at the end of the 2011/12 season. Harri Olli had been given yet another ban for bad behaviour, and then decided to quit the sport (He has since attempted to make a couple of comebacks, but hasn’t troubled the scorers). Most of their other jumpers were either injured, such as Janne Happonen and Annsi Koivuranta, or really struggling, such as Ville Larinto.

So, as there was a real shortage of jumpers, Ahonen decided to come back again during the 2012/13 season. And whilst it has not been as successful as his previous comeback, us nostalgic ones will be hoping he can put on a good display in Sochi! ;)

Team Competition

In the Team competition, it will be between Austria, Germany and Slovenia. Austria has always had the strongest team in recent years. Germany has traditionally been the next best, but their jumpers are having a disappointing season. So, I would not be surprised if Slovenia jumped past them.

Those that have not been following ski jumping since Vancouver may be surprised that I suggest Slovenia for a medal. But, over the past few years, they have developed into a very strong team, in both men’s and women’s ski jumping. They have so many good jumpers in both that it was very hard to choose who would be sent to Sochi.

Put it like this – if there had been a mixed-team competition at the Olympics, I would have definitely put money on Slovenia for the gold, as they are the only country that are strong in both men’s and women’s jumping.

Japan was traditionally the 3rd best team, but Nori Kasai is the only male Japanese jumper that is doing anything this season. All the others are not doing well at all.

So, going into Sochi, I believe that the following will be the ones to watch:

Simon Amman
Gregor Schlierenzauer
Thomas Morgenstern (if he is fit enough)
Thomas Diethart
Noriaki Kasai
Anders Bardal

Outside chances for a podium:

Kamil Stoch
Any of the Slovenian boys

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

BBC (all times GMT)

Saturday 8th February 2014
15:15 – 16:00 SJ Men’s Individual Normal Hill Trial Round
16:30 – 17:30 SJ Men’s Individual Normal Hill Qualifying

Sunday 9th February 2014
16:30 – 17:00 SJ Men’s Individual Normal Hill Trial Round
17:30 – 18:14 SJ Men’s Individual Normal Hill Round 1
18:45 – 19:06 SJ Men’s Individual Normal Hill Round 2

Tuesday 11th February 2014
16:30 – 17:00 SJ Women’s Individual Normal Hill Trial Round
17:30 – 18:20 SJ Women’s Individual Normal Hill Round 1
18:25 – 18:56 SJ Women’s Individual Normal Hill Round 2

Wednesday 12th February 2014
08:30 – 09:00 NC Individual Normal Hill Trial Round
09:30 – 10:30 NC Individual Normal Hill Competition
12:30 – 13:15 NC Individual 10km Cross-Country

Friday 14th February 2014
16:15 – 16:56 SJ Men’s Individual Big Hill Trial Round
17:30 – 18:45 SJ Men’s Individual Big Hill Qualifying

Saturday 15th February 2014
16:30 – 17:00 SJ Men’s Individual Big Hill Trial Round
17:30 – 18:14 SJ Men’s Individual Big Hill Round 1
18:45 – 19:06 SJ Men’s Individual Big Hill Round 2

Monday 17th February 2014
16:15 – 16:45 SJ Men’s Team Big Hill Trial Round
17:15 – 18:02 SJ Men’s Team Big Hill Round 1
18:22 – 18:57 SJ Men’s Team Big Hill Round 2

Tuesday 18th February 2014
08:30 – 09:00 NC Individual Big Hill Trial Round
09:30 – 10:30 NC Individual Big Hill Competition
12:00 – 13:00 NC Individual 10km Cross-Country

Thursday 20th February 2014
08:30 – 09:00 NC Team Big Hill Trial Round
09:30 – 10:30 NC Team Big Hill Competition
12:00 – 13:00 NC Team 4x5km Cross-Country

Johar

Medalist
I've been a huge Simon Amman from waaay back when he looked like a 12-year-old, lol. Best of luck to him!

Lota

Record Breaker
I don't have any favourites, but I'm kind of rooting for the japanese team. What Noriaki Kasai is doing at his age is just incredible, I almost cried when he finished first a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully Ito, Takeuchi and the others manage to find some sort of form.

As for the others, Morgi. Goodness gracious, that fall was horrible. I mean, the fall earlier was bad enough, but this one... unnngggghhhh. I cringe every time I remember it. I really hope he recovers successfully. I like Ammann too. I just hope there are no falls, and no goddamn wind to ruin things. I know it is part of the competition, but I don't really like the whole "wind lottery" thing.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I've been a huge Simon Amman from waaay back when he looked like a 12-year-old, lol. Best of luck to him!

Although I like Schlieri, and think he is amazing to have achieved so much at such a young age, I'm with you on this one.

Simon Ammann is my favourite of the top ski jumpers.

He just seems like a really nice guy! Although he has achieved so much, Simon is so down to earth. And so modest. He may have achieved a lot, but he never goes on about it.

I really wanted Simon to win the Four Hills, and was gutted when his chances disappeared with that first jump at Bischofshofen. Yes, I was delighted for Diethart to win the Tournee at his first attempt, but I really want Ammann to win it before he retires.

So, that is why I want to see him carry on after this season.

I don't have any favourites, but I'm kind of rooting for the japanese team. What Noriaki Kasai is doing at his age is just incredible, I almost cried when he finished first a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully Ito, Takeuchi and the others manage to find some sort of form.

I have always tended to like the Japanese too, and particularly Kasai. And not just because he is old. There is just something about him that you can't help but like.

I have been willing Nori on for years, and was gutted when he came so close a few times earlier this season but just missed it. But when he did get the win, I just jumped up and shouted out a big "YES!!!!!!!!" I just couldn't help it!

But, Nori is the only one of the Japanese with any kind of form this season. It's disappointing, as over the past four years all of the Japanese jumpers have gone through spells where they have been doing very well.

Unfortunately for them, they just haven't managed to time it as well as their older team-mate. ;)

But, it would be nice to see at least one of them pull something together for the Olympics.

I just hope there are no falls, and no goddamn wind to ruin things. I know it is part of the competition, but I don't really like the whole "wind lottery" thing.

Well, although it has it's faults, at least the wind/gate compensation system means that we have a better chance of getting rounds/competitions completed.

Like, there has hardly been a competition in the past 3 years that has not been affected by bad weather in some way. Like, imagine how many of them would have to have been re-started, or would have been abandoned, under the old system.

So, I for one like the system. I just don't like what happened at Zakopane the other week...

CaroLiza_fan

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Will have fun watching Mackenzie Boyd-Clowes. He obviously won't win a medal but he's having as good a season on the world cup as any Canadian since the 80s. It would be great if he made the top 30 in either event.

Otherwise I'd love to see Kasai get a gold medal, especially considering he was part of the ill fated large hill team in 1994 but not on the winning team in 1998. Will also be rooting for the Poles, the Slovenians and Diethart.

treeloving

Medalist
Thank you so much for info CaroLiza_fan, to know background information make watching sport much more exciting and meaning full.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Alex D

Record Breaker
Great stuff Caro ;) thank you!

I would love to see Noriaki and Janne win a medal, I have so much respect for those two. However, I find the current ski jumping a bit "less interesting" than in the 90´s. That new judging system with the wind modification etc. just doesn't do it for me. :(

May they all fly safe!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Awww. Didn't you just love the way that Simon Ammann was enjoying himself so much when doing flagbearer duties at the Opening ceremony last night!

And it was great to see one of the cameramen single out Noriaki Kasai for a close-up shot when the Japanese team came in

Just a wee reminder that the Men's Ski Jumping will be starting today, with qualification for the Normal Hill competition.

Now, the trial round starts in about 45 minutes time (i.e. during the Short Dance), but I am not sure if the BBC are streaming it.

The actual qualification starts in about 2 hours, and it is available via the BBC website.

Official BBC Livestreaming Channel

Unfortunately, it will not be on the TV

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For the first ¾ of the qualification yesterday, things went very smoothly. And I was thinking “Ah, good. There’s no problems with the weather for a change…”

Then the wind started playing up. Thankfully, the delay was only about 5 minutes or so. And although we had a few more pauses before those that needed to qualify finished, it was nothing major.

Michael Hayboeck of Austria won the qualification, from Andreas Wank of Germany, Reruhi Shimizu of Japan, and Anders Fannemel of Norway.

Of those that had to qualify, these were the only 4 jumpers that reached 100m.

Andi Wank had the longest jump of those that had to qualify, at 102.5m. For that matter, Shimizu (101.5m) also jumped further than Hayboeck (101m). But whereas Wank and Shimizu had deductions from the wind, Hayboeck had compensation. Fannemel jumped 100m exactly, and had a small deduction.

This was really encouraging for Shimizu in particular. He was a revelation in the Summer Grand Prix a couple of years ago, but has not been able to repeat that form in the World Cup.

After missing some competitions due to his injury, Morgi had slipped out of the pre-qualified group (well, only 1 place outside it!) So, he had to qualify, and got 9th position, in between 2 Czechs – Jan Matura in 8th, and Jakub Janda in 10th.

Last to qualify was America’s Nicholas Alexander, with Canada’s Matthew Rowley the first to miss out.

The first of the pre-qualified jumpers was Slovenia’s Robert Kranjec. He jumped 100.5m, but had a crash landing. He got up straight away, and walked away off the hill, but with a serious limp. And this morning the news came through that he will not take part in the Normal Hill competition:

The Slovene fell at the landing and twisted his knee. He was taken to the hospital were a sprained medial collateral ligament was diagnosed, there's also the possibility that the ligament is partly torn.

Robert Kranjec will now not jump for a couple of days and hopes to be fit again on time for the two competitions on the large hill (individual on Feb. 15th and Team on Feb. 17th).

http://www.fis-ski.com/ski-jumping/news-multimedia/news/article=robert-kranjec-injured.html

There was a long-ish delay after Kranjec’s crash, while the hill was checked out, and while he was checked out.

The longest jumps of the day were 104m, and were shared by Schlieri and Germany’s Severin Freund.

The other pre-qualified jumpers that reached 100m were Ammann and Stoch (100m each), and Prevc (101.5m).

Now, because they are showing the Free Dance until its completion, BBCi1 will not be joining the Ski Jumping Normal Hill competition today until 18:00 GMT.

HOWEVER, the ski jumping will be shown in its entirety on the BBC website, from 17:25 GMT.

Official BBC Livestream Channel

This is NOT the same livestream page that was used for yesterday's Qualification.

BBCi1 is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 301 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): pressing the red button on a BBC channel? (I don’t have cable, so I’m not sure)
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 977 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 45 (10.773H. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
NOTE: The channel you want for the ski jumping is labelled “BBC RB 1”​

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Lota

Record Breaker
Thanks, CaroLiza_fan! They only showed about half of the qualification in my country, so didn't see what happened afterwards. Sad for Kranjec :( Hopefully he'll recover for the next competition. I do wonder where Daiki Ito is, though.

kasik8222

Rinkside
The Story So Far

In the few years leading up to Vancouver, the story in Ski Jumping was largely a tale of 3 men – Simon Ammann, Thomas Morgenstern and Gregor Schlierenzauer. Adam Malysz was also in the mix, but he retired at the end of the 2010/11 season.

Going into Sochi, and these three are still the favourites. However, they have been going up and down the rankings in the intervening four years.

Morgi has had a very rough couple of years. Last season he was not performing very well at all. He had just become a father, and we were putting it down to the tiredness that comes with having a new baby. But we soon found out that there was more to it than just a baby. Only a matter of weeks later, Tommy and his girlfriend split up.

Morgi was looking good this season. At Titisee-Neustadt, 2 weeks before the Four Hills started, he won his first competition in nearly 2 years. But, the next day, he had a fall, and broke a finger. He sat out Engelberg, but came back for Oberstdorf with his finger in a splint.

After Oberstdorf, Andreas Widhoezl (who is now on the Austrian coaching team) suggested that Tommy needed a splint on his other hand too, because he was over-compensating. But Tommy said that he was finding it hard enough to push off the bar with one hand bound up without the other hand being bound up too!

His results in the Four Hills were actually very good considering he was injured. In fact he finished 2nd overall in the Tournee! But then, during a training round at the next round at Kulm, Morgi had a horrible looking fall. It was awful to watch. He suffered injuries to his head and his lungs.

Unsurprisingly, Morgi hasn’t been in competition since. Yet, despite this, he has now been confirmed as being in the Austrian Olympic team.

Last season, Schlieri became the most successful ski jumper ever, taking away Matti Nykänen’s long-held record of 46 career wins. And he didn’t stop there – he is now into the 50’s. Considering he is only 24, that could become a very big total.

Yet, this season has been a real mixed-bag for Schlieri. After dominating the World Cup last season, he has been up and down like I don’t know what this season! He had 2 wins at the start of the season. But since then, the only times he has been on the podium were the 2 competitions at Kulm.

Like, Schlieri only managed 8th overall in this year’s Four Hills Tournee. Apart from a 4th at home in Innsbruck, he was very disappointing.

Although he is currently 3rd in the World Cup, that is more down to the fact that the points are being spread out because we have had so many different winners this season.

Ammann is now one of the jumpers over thirty. A few years ago, he said that although he has achieved so much in his career, he still had two aims:

1. to win the Four Hills Tournee (as this is the only major title he did not have)
2. to compete at the Sochi Olympics (because his wife is Russian)

Ammann was looking good coming into the Four Hills last season. But then he took sick after the first round at Oberstdorf, and that was the end of that challenge.

In this year’s Four Hills, he came into the final round at Bishofshofen with a very good chance of winning the title. But, he did not have a great landing in his first jump, and lost a lot of style points. His second jump was good, but then Thomas Diethart came along and put in a winning jump.

Simon still hasn’t won the Four Hills. So, I expect that he will continue into next season for another try. I would hate to see somebody as successful as him missing out on having that last major accolade.

I have already mentioned Thomas Diethart in passing. He has been the revelation of this season. I had never heard tell of him before December! He only joined the World Cup at Engelberg and, apart from the farcical competition at Zakopane a couple of weeks ago, his worst finish has been 6th.

In the Four Hills, his worst result was a 5th in Innsbruck. He was 3rd at Oberstdorf, and won at Garmisch and Bishofshofen. Unsurprisingly, he won the title.

The other guy who I believe has an outside chance of a medal is Anders Bardal of Norway. Bardal won the World Cup overall in the 2011/11 season. It was not so much because of number of wins (he only got 3 wins, whereas Schlieri and Andreas Kofler got 5 wins each), but more to do with his sheer consistency.

Currently, Bardal is lying 6th in the World Cup standings. He has only had 1 win this season, and that was the farcical competition at Zakopane. But, he has also had 2 seconds and a third.

For me, these are the guys to watch out for at the Olympics. However, I haven’t even mentioned yet the current Top 2 in the World Cup!

Petr Prevc of Slovenia is currently leading, with Kamil Stoch of Poland in second. This is purely down to consistency. Prevc has had 2 wins this season (his only individual career wins), but has had lots of top 6 finishes, particularly since Innsbruck. Stoch has also had 2 wins this season, but since Titisee-Neustadt, he has only been out of the Top 10 twice, one of those times being the farcical competition at Zakopane.

So, although these guys are at the top of the World Cup, I would not have them as potential Olympic Champions. But, you never know.

Gold and Silver for Poland and Slovenia. Amazing evening for both these guys:laugh:

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Kamil Stoch was phenomenal! Nobody came close. Also congrats to the other medalists - and Bardal reminded everyone he's still there ;)

Poice

Final Flight
So happy for Kamil! He was great :) And I could hear my national anthem at the Olympics thanks to him!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Kamil Stoch was phenomenal! Nobody came close. Also congrats to the other medalists - and Bardal reminded everyone he's still there ;)

Oh, I don’t think anybody forgot about Bardal! ;) OK, so he might have only had 1 World Cup win this season, but there have been very few occasions when he has not been in the Top 10.

So happy for Kamil! He was great :) And I could hear my national anthem at the Olympics thanks to him!

OK, so maybe I underestimated Kamil Stoch a bit. OK, a lot! But, that assessment was written before Stoch got the double win at Willingen last weekend.

Those two jumps from Kamil in the Olympic Normal Hill competition on Sunday were magnificent. After the first round, we knew that it was going to take a massive jump in the second round to beat him. But for him to put in another massive jump just shows that Round 1 was no fluke.

Three wins on the trot just shows that Stoch is the guy on form at the right time. And he is normally good on the big hills as well. So that is an ominous warning for the rest of the field ahead of the Olympic Big Hill competition this weekend.

Gold and Silver for Poland and Slovenia. Amazing evening for both these guys:laugh:

You know, although they are not at the level of Austria yet, the Polish and Slovenian teams are showing that they can become genuine regular contenders over the next Olympic cycle.

I have said a few times that Slovenia has a very big reservoir of talent. Like I genuinely believe that there are 4 or 5 that can become regular World Cup winners over the next few seasons.

For me, Kranjec is probably the strongest of the Slovenian Men. So, it was very unfortunate that he got injured in the qualifying for the Olympic Normal Hill competition. But, Prevc sure made up for it!

Although it was a slightly depleted field, the fact that we had an all-Slovenian podium in Sapporo a few weeks ago is a sign of things to come.

As for Poland, well they also have a lot of strong jumpers. However, ever since Adam Malysz retired, there hasn’t really been a Pole that has been consistently near the top. They seem to be taking it in turns each competition.

Take the first 4 competitions of this season’s World Cup as an example. Krzysztof Biegun won the opening competition at Klingenthal, while his team-mates Piotr Zyla and Maciej Kot were 5th and 6th. Stoch was only 37th. Onto Kuusamo, and Stoch was the only Pole to make the Top 10 (in 10th place), with the next Pole being Krzysztof Biegun in 18th. First competition at Lillehammer, and Kot was 5th with the next Pole being Stoch in 20th. Second Lillehammer competition, and Zyla was in 6th, with the next Pole being Stoch in 18th.

At the moment, the strongest is definitely Stoch! But, that may change almost overnight.

But, what I did find interesting was that the top 2 in the Normal Hill competition just happened to be the current Top 2 in the World Cup standings.

It’s just a pity that Noriaki Kasai didn’t complete that pattern by getting the Bronze medal. But, at least both his jumps were 100m or more. And just remember, Kasai always seems to do his best on the bigger hills…

Is Ammann only good in north america? Lol seems like maybe true.

Come on, that is not fair! OK, so it may seem like that when it comes to the Olympics. But what about all the wins that he has had in Europe in the World Cup over the years?!

He’ll not do the double at this Olympics, but I would not bet against him getting a good result in the Big Hill competition next weekend. He’s one of those guys you can’t count out.

Oh, and don't forget that the inaugural Olympic Women’s competition is today. The Trial round starts at 16:30 GMT (the same time as the Group 3 Warm-up for the Pairs Short gets underway), with the Competition itself starting at 17:30 GMT (when Berton / Hortorek will be getting their scores)

I’ll post more details in the Women’s thread in a moment

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder that the Qualifying for the Individual Big Hill competition will be starting in around 20 minutes, i.e. during Brian Joubert's FS routine.

Unfortunately, the BBC is not showing it on the TV. So if you want to watch it, you'll have do it on their website.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry, haven't had a chance to write a qualifying report.

Just a wee reminder that the Individual Big Hill competition will be starting in around 40 minutes.

And, unlike yesterday's Qualification, the BBC will be showing it on TV, on BBCi2

This is NOT the same livestream page that was used for yesterday's qualification, or any previous competitions.

Here are the details on how to receive BBCi2:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 302 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 992 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 978 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 76 (12.551V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
NOTE: The channel you want for the ski jumping is labelled “BBC RB 2

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan