Violence In Kiev - Has The Ukrainian Team Withdrawn From The Olympics? | Golden Skate

Violence In Kiev - Has The Ukrainian Team Withdrawn From The Olympics?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I've just been watching the Cross Country Team Sprint, and noticed that the Ukrainian Team did not start the first Women's Semi-Final.

As you all probably know, violence erupted again in Kiev yesterday, and the last I heard there had been 25 deaths.

http://news.sky.com/story/1213843/ukraine-attacks-continue-as-talks-break-down

So, that started me wondering - has the Ukrainian Olympic Committee decided to withdrawn their athletes from the Olympics in response to the trouble back home?

If they have, it'll be really disappointing for Natalia Popova, being pulled out of her first Olympics on the day she was due to do her SP in the main competition. But, at least she got to do it in the Team Event.

Let's hope that things get sorted out properly in the Ukraine soon without any more violence and loss of life. I have a few friends over there (who I have gotten to know through our mutual interest in skating), and I am really worried about them and their safety.

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I've just been watching the Cross Country Team Sprint, and noticed that the Ukrainian Team did not start the first Women's Semi-Final.

As you all probably know, violence erupted again in Kiev yesterday, and the last I heard there had been 25 deaths.

http://news.sky.com/story/1213843/ukraine-attacks-continue-as-talks-break-down

So, that started me wondering - has the Ukrainian Olympic Committee decided to withdrawn their athletes from the Olympics in response to the trouble back home?

If they have, it'll be really disappointing for Natalia Popova, being pulled out of her first Olympics on the day she was due to do her SP in the main competition. But, at least she got to do it in the Team Event.

Let's hope that things get sorted out properly in the Ukraine soon without any more violence and loss of life. I have a few friends over there (who I have gotten to know through our mutual interest in skating), and I am really worried about them and their safety.

CaroLiza_fan

Oh, yes, this is too sad, too many deaths already.

The Ukrainians are still listed for the mixed biathlon relay today.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh, yes, this is too sad, too many deaths already.

The Ukrainians are still listed for the mixed biathlon relay today.

And they HAVE started the Mixed Relay. So, the withdrawal of the Cross-Country team must have been for some other reason, or else they made the decision on their own.

Fingers crossed that Natalia will still be skating this afternoon. She looks promising for the future.

CaroLiza_fan