Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

humbaba

Final Flight
Loved Madi and Evan's performance yesterday. The FD is improving with each outing.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I thought Madison & Evan skated the free dance beautifully, by far the best of the season. It's really a shame about the level on the spin & the steps. If they can correct those and continue to skate the program so well, they will be fine at 4CC & Worlds. This result will probably be a big motivation for them. They are still my favorites!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I also agree that their FD at nationals was the best I've seen them skate it all season :) I can't wait to see it improve even more!

Astrid56

Final Flight
I am quite upset for Chock/Bates not taking the national title today.

As for the SDs, my personal opinion after watching from TV screen, the margin should be a bit more, at least 2 points above the Shibs. Maddie and Evans' twizzles were more difficult with a foot held with one hand at the first segment that has 7 rotations.

Again with the FDs today, I personally didn't think the margin of difference should be that great. A '4' point difference is a bit high between them and the Shibs. If anything, I thought Maddie and Evans' FD were more demanding technically, skating to the structure of Rachmaninov's Concerto in C minor. It was superbly choreograghed if one understands classical music - twizzles again were more difficult with the hand holding the foot of the blade, every knee and upper body movement were superbly structured to the rise and fall of Rachmaninov. Of course, the passion is always there as usual.

Could someone here explain why they got a level 2 for their spin which I read in another forum?

I can't understand the level 2 given to their combination spins. Also, their routine looked more technically demanding and the music difficult. Do the technical panel even consider this (music) when scoring an element?

It's funny that they give somewhat the PCS to Chock and Bates ... to appease some people? I would understand if the Shibs won the PCS as it is a very crowd-pleasing program. This Coldplay's music is so appealing ... that so many contemporary dances were choreographed to it. This fact alone tells you how easy it is to interpret the piece - a real crowd-pleasing material. Anyway, I am still reeling over C/B's loss.

Last edited:

icekiwi

On the Ice
Hi astrid56,

I am glad I'm not the only one still reeling over this result. I personally still haven't gotten over this.

I am pleased to read that Evan said this will fuel them to improve even more, not that they haven't done so already.

To me, they are the top American Ice Dance team right now and the ISU judges have recognised that. 3 seasons ago, I won't say that. I was blown away by their improvements technically and choregraphically 2 seasons ago starting with the SP Paso Doble choreographed by Antonio Najarro. I have not seen them skated like that and the World Panel put that SP 1st, deservedly so. They have added so much little nuances and details into their programs and pushing themselves with challenging music and choreography (this Rachmaninov piece is a risk worth taking, showing the international judges what you are capable of instead of an overused popularised western piece of music - Fix You).

The USFSA is really on an island of their own.

robredo40

On the Ice
I agree the USFSA is dumb, from the result in the men's event to this I still don't think the international judges will put the shibs on the podium even with worlds in Boston, if they really liked them they would have given them a medal at the gp final which they didn't. this will hurt Maddie and Evan their main north American rivals Weaver and Poje have gained an immediate edge over them now I'm not even talking about the French team or C&L.

icekiwi

On the Ice
All the best to Maddie & Evan this week at 4CC!!

Has anyone got anything to post about their practice sessions? Thanks!

Really excited. It will be perfect. Rach it baby!!

icekiwi

On the Ice
Woke up this morning with a cup of coffee in my hand

Sat down in front of the computer and clicked "results" from the forum

To see Maddie/Evan in 4th place??????????

Could someone here kindly please explain what happened with the SP?

I am too shocked/disappointed and way too traumatised to watch on youtube.

I thought this SP was at its best at GPF - clean, sharp and they were heading into those twizzles so FAST!

Thank you.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, I think Madison and Evan were very tentative in their performance at 4cc, which is too bad because their SD has the potential to be a first place scoring program (which it has been in the past!) I hope they can make up their points in the FS and get on the podium!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Honestly I don't think it was so bad you have to avoid watching it on youtube... just a little tentative, with some mistakes on levels.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Honestly I don't think it was so bad you have to avoid watching it on youtube... just a little tentative, with some mistakes on levels.

It just tells you how evenly matched the competition is. It's anyone's event at any of these big competitions. You have to have nerves of steel, all the time, must be exhausting.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I didn't think the performance was horrible, but it definitely didn't have the charisma they usually skate the program with. The score was depressing, and I just hope they haven't lost their confidence. At this point, the entire season has been such a struggle for them, with so many mistakes, I'm just starting to look forward to next year. I really hope they show something tonight in the FD.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I didn't think the performance was horrible, but it definitely didn't have the charisma they usually skate the program with. The score was depressing, and I just hope they haven't lost their confidence. At this point, the entire season has been such a struggle for them, with so many mistakes, I'm just starting to look forward to next year. I really hope they show something tonight in the FD.

Me too, their free dance is just so beautiful :love:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm really proud of these two for the free dance they out out there :) They should be proud overall and I think they still have a good chance of medaling at Worlds if they can put two strong performances out there. Well done :cheer:

katha

On the Ice
They were so lovely today in the FD! :luv17: Best performance of it all season IMO. Congrats on silver! But they really need to cut it out on the mistakes. At Worlds they need to produce two strong performances.

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
Congrats to Madison and Evan for delivering a great free dance and coming from behind to grab the silver. :cheer:

Last edited: