Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Congrats to them! The win was absolutely deserved.
Despite that I think they were a bit overscored at SA, I think I'm beginning to be a fan of them. They definitely are my favourite non-european senior Ice Dance team now. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Congrats to them! The win was absolutely deserved.
Despite that I think they were a bit overscored at SA, I think I'm beginning to be a fan of them. They definitely are my favourite non-european senior Ice Dance team now. :)

It's a very North American style (what can I say? I much prefer modern to ballet myself, so I'm all for a North American style). And I do think the two female ice dancers with the most natural charisma are Ms. Chock and Ms. Illynch (I can't remember how to spell her name, please forgive me!). You just can't take your eyes off of them when they skate. I said a couple of years ago on here they were ones to watch, and it's so nice to see them finally reach the upper echelon. They are now a legitimate medal threat at Worlds. Woohoo!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am wondering what effects having Fabian Bourzat as a coach has had on their skating. He was in the Kiss and Cry with them during the SD.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This was 100 million times better than their performances at Nebelhorn. Well done to Maddy and Evan. I jope that this new 'battle' with the Shibutani's will really push American ice dance even further.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm not a lesbian but I would totally switch for Madison. What a gorgeous, elegant lady!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love their video selections, which include many other teams, including the top 6 SD's at Europeans and Mariah Bell at US Nationals :love:

Evan has a nice, wry blogging style.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for all the good interviews and information posted here. Maddie & Evan are my favorite Ice Dancers at the moment.

Happy for them for the Silver at Worlds and looking forward to continued improvement next season!

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
Congratulations to Maddie and Evan on winning silver at Worlds. :cheer::dance: They really took a big leap forward this season. I loved their programs. Hope to see them continue to improve over the next year.

icekiwi

On the Ice
(I have posted this in the 'Free Dance' forum) -

You can add me as a fan of Chock & Bates:

They have so improved from the last couple of years. I noticed a huge difference in their skating right at the start of the season, at Skate America. I was simply blown away by their total 'package' this year - speed and edges across the ice, posture and line, costuming (Maddison has the best Paso dress among the ladies!!), complicated choreography and the best overall presentation. In one straight viewing on Youtube, I decided to watch just the top couples' blades and not look at the upper body movements at all, and contrary to some moderators in 'other' forums, Maddison does have strong lovely edge work - she and Evan does have strong edge quality. In fact, they have better edge quality than the other couples in the top group, in my opinion and I have followed figure skating for over 20 years.

Chock & Bates - their 'Paso' - the best of the evening - great costuming, great characterisation - listen to what the BBC guys, in particular, Nicky slater said about Maddison - that "all female skaters should look at her total commitment to the Paso dance". To me, their Paso has the most difficult and complicated choreography of the evening. Skating wise, great edgework in the side by side straightline footwork (this is from purely watching the movement of their blades).

Chock & Bates - Free Dance - light, fresh and joyous - again beautiful costuming (love Maddie's dress - modern and stylish), skated so light and free, no inhibitation or tightness at all. In fact, their free dance has the most difficult lifts!! The music itself has lots of 'shapes' and therefore different dance moves were incorporated which makes this a rather difficult free dance to execute.

Congrats to Chock & Bates - keep up the great work!! Gold is within reach!!!

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting these vids from Worlds - I live in Seattle so I get both NBC and CBC and the CBC commentary made me chuckle. They really harped on that twizzle mistake in the free dance and poor Evan, Kurt doesn't think much of him, does he?

I've noticed over the years the CBC is a little harsh on rival teams that are perceived as a threat, and much more complimentary of teams when they aren't. Funny how that happens. I still have the ice dance coverage from Sochi from the original CBC broadcast saved on my DVR and I watch it pretty frequently. Their commentary on Davis & White was basically the same thing, reluctant back-handed compliments. On the other hand, the British Eurosport guys are much more even-handed toward all the teams. Sadly, Johnny and Tara were basically worthless in the ice dance coverage on NBC; I really wish they would keep Tracy Wilson on the call. She knows what she's talking about, unlike J&T.

Last edited:

icekiwi

On the Ice
This is the British Euro Sports Commentary which I think is far better than CBS. I personally don't like the two ladies who comments with Kurt. Kurt's comments were honest and great. However, the other two ladies' comments, of course, has a Canadian bias which is simply annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntNXdw7--qc

Hope the link does work. I always prefer the British guys, so honest, and always have something positive for every skater and they were skaters themselves once upon a time. One of the British guys, Nicky Slater, was an ice dancer representing Great Britain many years ago. Of course, Robyn Cousins was a former world champion single skater. Listen to their description of Maddison - absolutely fabulous.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wish they would have Tanith and Charlie. Charlie did a very nice job for IN at US Nationals during the SD.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes, or Charlie and/or Tanith, or even Ben Agosto. All three were so much better on Ice Network than Johnny & Tara, who really had nothing to add to the broadcast.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Just thrilled for them that they made their goal of a world medal this season.

Their 2015 silver medal fd
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oO6GL0WFO7M

And their short dance personal best from worlds (Canadian coverage) Kurt is so.nice :)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEGj2YUdfM

And their Exhibition from Worlds 2015
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=u495ub2wvMY

Thanks for posting these videos. I love Kurt's comments about Madison and about their Paso. I'm glad he didn't feel compelled to agree with the female commentators who were obviously biased toward the Canadian skaters.