Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

Barb

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting these vids from Worlds - I live in Seattle so I get both NBC and CBC and the CBC commentary made me chuckle. They really harped on that twizzle mistake in the free dance and poor Evan, Kurt doesn't think much of him, does he?

I've noticed over the years the CBC is a little harsh on rival teams that are perceived as a threat, and much more complimentary of teams when they aren't. Funny how that happens. I still have the ice dance coverage from Sochi from the original CBC broadcast saved on my DVR and I watch it pretty frequently. Their commentary on Davis & White was basically the same thing, reluctant back-handed compliments. On the other hand, the British Eurosport guys are much more even-handed toward all the teams. Sadly, Johnny and Tara were basically worthless in the ice dance coverage on NBC; I really wish they would keep Tracy Wilson on the call. She knows what she's talking about, unlike J&T.

In Teledeporte the spanish female commentator was impressed with Evan, she said: *wow he is a dancer*. I know everyone knows he is good but usually Madison get all compliments.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really love fancams, because they give you the feeling of exactly what it was like to view an event from one person's seat, without any overhead shots, and with the music synched to the program correctly. This is a particularly good one of Maddie and Evan's FD :love: When the video is synched correctly you see how beautifully the details of the program are right on the beats, as they should be.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RjOyKofdJp0

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks for posting that fancam link, doris! Really does show how amazing it is to be there viewing as a spectator. And it really annoys me when that final sequence is out of sync with the music. :frown:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It makes all the difference, when you see everything landed right on the beat. The viewer's heart beat seems to synchronize with the dancers' movements, and the music comes fully alive when the audio, video, and dance are all in synch.

Jason's world performance of Juke really comes alive on fancam, too, and is worth viewing :)

Last edited:

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Oh gosh, thank you for posting that! I was surprised when some of Maddie's little jumps in the FD when Evan is holding her by the upper arm were not synched to the music the way it was on the Nationals videos, so this makes complete sense. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, so this makes total sense.

It's funny that Madison either gets lambasted for a perceived lack of skating skills and/or hamming it up, or praised for the same thing. I'm thinking particularly of the British EuroSport commentator who recommended all female skaters watch Maddie's Paso performance, or Kurt saying how much he likes her. What I didn't like is him dismissing Evan's part in the team. His job is to complement and make Maddie shine & I think he does that exceedingly well. It's no different to me than what Andrew does with Kaitlyn (which Kurt praised as being subtle but holding his own - what's the difference?).

mintx

On the Ice
I may be late in asking but are they a couple or just friends or are they keeping their private life private?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't think they are dating each other. Like most of the US teams, they are quiet about their private life.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think they are dating each other. Like most of the US teams, they are quiet about their private life.

I think Madi has been quite open in the past about dating Deividas Stagniunas?? Pics together on her Instagram, and references to him as her BF.

(My hunch is that they are going strong as a couple, but I don't claim to be up to date.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Evan's wrap up blog from WTT 2015

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2015/Ap...-World-Team-Champion-With-Seven-Of-My-Friends

Madi is visiting family during their stop in Hawaii.

Other activiy in Hawaii:

We are trying to get the island youth interested in figure skating so we are doing a performance at the local rink followed by a public skating session with the kids. We look forward to the opportunity to connect with the local kids and also cool off inside the rink after a few hot days in the sun.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It makes all the difference, when you see everything landed right on the beat. The viewer's heart beat seems to synchronize with the dancers' movements, and the music comes fully alive when the audio, video, and dance are all in synch.

Understatement of the year! It's one of the reasons I almost never talk about if pairs are skating on the beat or not, because with most online video, who can tell???

Thank you so much for the beyond comprehensive history and video links for one of my favorite teams. I'm very curious indeed to see what they skate to next season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ison-Chock-amp-Evan-Bates&p=873499#post873499

I just finished updating Maddie and Evans OP. I included a lot of videos from theire previous partnetships too.

I could not find a link to their 2015 US National Sd, but most everything else is there!

I hope you enjoy it!

Wow, thank you, Doris :bow:. Incredible collection of videos and other C/B history.

FYI, video of their 2015 Nats exhibition: