Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am dreaming that they were working on the FD first and foremost...the sychronization of the small movements in the FD practice show an amazing amount of polish for this time in the season....even if there are a few too many Egyptian hands in it.

The RD looks like they have been concentrating on getting the Finnstep key points and not much else yet...I am hoping there will be significant changes before we see this again.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I agree Doris. It is a work in progress. That said Congrats to Maddie and Evan they were the class of the field!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really want Evan to wear something else. The black pants look all wrong, and the shirt from a distance looks like he has faux green suspenders.

OTOH, Madison's whole look is utterly fabulous.

The lifts are all different and amazing, and Madison always ends up slithering to some location completely unexpected :love:

I would like the second posing section to be shorter, and there to be a few fewer Egyptian hands.

On the whole I really like it.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I have just seen their programs. A few thoughts about them:
The RD is pretty much what I expected: they are very good, Madison is very hot and Gaboid knows (as we saw last season) how to make the best of their features. Very good RD, no surprise here.

But the FD is a totaly different game, I'm really impressed, they looked for something new and different and they really raised the bar here. Everybody says that they try to do something new every season but most of the skaters/coaches lack the imagination, sense of humor and/or courage to even try. Well, Mady and Evan just did it. Congrats!

How good is the program for me? Well, if I think about my go-to programs, those that I wanna see when I'm in the mood of a collector watching his/her art collection of figure skating videos, this program probably wont be in the main room but it will have a place of honor in a room devoted to creativity, movement and body language. How many unconvincing man-woman romantic programs have we seen? Hundreds? Thousands? Well, I have just seen an absolute convincing zoophilia program between a man and a snake and I love it. :luv17:
I'm a fan now :hap10:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The FD is just wonderful... they have stretched their boundaries for sure ! Arm, hand movements should be refined and Evan's outfit could use a slight bit of bling - not much - to blend with Madison.. the lifts are out of this world!!
Musically I am reminded somewhat of Takahashi's unforgettable SP, In the Garden of Souls (Vas), an instant meditation.. out of curiosity I watched DT's performance again after seeing the FD just to check what Takahashi did with his arms and hands.... exquisite movements from him without a hint of hieroglyphics...

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I agree with previous comments about the RD - it didn't wow me, but it has potential. They need to jazz/sex it up a bit more because it did go a little flat for me. I've no doubt it will get much, much better over the season.

The FD on the other hand? I LOVED IT. Wow, how unexpected and divine. The music is absolutely mesmerizing and of course Madi is perfect. I love the costumes, and I especially love Evan's shirt. The olive green is good for him. I just loved every bit of it, the arm movements, the slinky slithering performance of Madi, and Evan had some nice choreo as well. Very, very intricate. It will really stand out for them again this year. I love what M-F is doing for them, it's just so fantastic as a fan to see the growth and confidence!

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I've just seen their FD and wanted to say that I really liked it. The music is refreshing, the lifts and spins wonderful and I don't think they have too many Egyptian arms positions. A belly dance couldn't be considered as such without belly movements, and an Egyptian dance needs some of the characteristic arms posing. I also love their costumes. Madison's dress is gorgeous and Evan's snake shairt suits him well.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congratulations on their RD skate at Finlandia.. wonderful energy!! Good luck in the FD!! :luv17: :luv17:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
The Finlandia camerawork was really beautiful in their FD, especially the closeup on Madison at the very beginning .. just gorgeous! !! And that final lift was just WOW!! The debated "arms" are still there... not sure about those.. but a wonderful FD nonetheless..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MhtpoGiYrPg

slider11

Medalist
Mmhhhh.... well, the FD is interesting. The costumes are gorgeous as beautiful. They are a striking couple on the ice. At Finlandia, a choreo element was not counted towards the end - not sure what that's about. I really like the hands during the twizzles but it got a little repetitive by the end of the performance. Interesting, but not one I would go back to watch again and again.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Congrats to Maddie and Evan!!!! :love:They were the class of the field. I have to look at the protocols because I thought their
FS score was low.

humbaba

Final Flight
I have to look at the protocols because I thought their
FS score was low.

Their choreographic step sequence was invalidated. Shpilevaya/Smirnov and Lajoie/Lagha also had their choreographic step sequences invalidated. Outside of a fall, I don't recall any teams having this element voided so far this season. Then at Finlandia, we get three. Madi and Evan scored 4.59 on the chst at US International, so it's likely they would have scored quite a bit higher without the invalidation.

On the positive side, the judges seemed to like Madi/Evan. Their PCS was higher in both the RD and FD than at US International. Took a quick look at the GOEs and those appear to be stronger as well. In the scored elements in the FD I saw one 2. Everything else was 3s, 4s, and 5s.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Better to find out that there is a problem now than later.

I love that the YLE Vid makes it really easy to see the detail on Maddy's fabulous costume.

I do not think any other team could skate this dance convincingly. Which is a good thing! No one can say this is same old, same old.

Without knowing anything about their backstory, it is immediately clear Madison is playing a snake.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Thanks @humbaba. Costly error for Maddie and Evan. It really did not effect
them at this competition but something they will surely work on and correct.

Who designed Maddie's dress it is so beautiful!