Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

chameleon

On the Ice
I didn't like the red dress at Nebelhorn because the leotard seemed so mismatched, but that seems to have just been a temporary dress. The leotard is darker now and I love the ombre on the skirt!

tvuckic16

Final Flight
The blue SD dress is nice. Although I have liked some of her other outfits better. Interested to see their new SD.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wooo hoooo Madison and Evan!:cheer:

I absolutely :love: their new SD. Tanith and Mancuso said, and I agree, that Maddie and Evan were the only couple who actually looked like they were dancing together. That is key ... they have a new groundedness and confidence together I think. Something very real but maybe hard to measure is happening with them now.

Tanith talked about Madison's beautiful flexibility of her neck and back. The more I watched the new dance, numerous times now, the more I see how rare it is and how much beauty that adds to their lines together, and how it gives their dances a dip and flow that wouldn't otherwise be there. Also, that the way Evan partners Maddie gives her the support she needs to really commit to that fluidity in her movements.

They said the SD change was because some judges didn't feel the previous music met the requirements of the waltz, so at the discretion of the judges, they could lose 2 points just because of the music. I'm really happy with the new music. Love the Italian singers!

Could not be more thrilled!

firal

Record Breaker
I was not a big fan of them but I must say my attitude had changed since seeing them live this week. Even during practice it was quite obvious they are at a different level. It can't be helped but my eyes go to Madison no matter what (sorry, Evan) and on a very shallow note how can she be even more beautiful than on TV? Her make-up game is spot on!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't that something, how when you see someone in person, something extra comes across. I had the same experience seeing Ashley Wagner live, like, oh, I get it now. She has presence. Madison does have the It Factor, and together she and Evan have charisma.

I make sure that I watch Evan (usually after 2 or 3 viewings of a program!), because then it seems obvious what all he does that contributes so much to the partnership. One thing, now that you're interested, firal, to notice is how he keeps his attention on her at different points in the program, thereby directing everyone's attention to her. And while he does it, he looks really happy to be dancing with her.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Seeing these two live a few years ago is what really made me a fan as well. Prior to that I actually actively disliked them, but in person they are such engaging performers, really conveying the music so well and with so much energy.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I never disliked them, but I wasn't a real fan till I saw them live Boston 2014. They were so committed to their performance, and so much right on the beat! Which I love.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I usually like one program per year from them, either SD or FD.
This season it was a SD turn, but now after they changed it.. hmmm... maybe I can count their exhibition program as my favorite this time :biggrin:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I usually like one program per year from them, either SD or FD.
This season it was a SD turn, but now after they changed it.. hmmm... maybe I can count their exhibition program as my favorite this time :biggrin:

:laugh2: I also feel this way a bit... I am not crazy about their free this year but am still mourning that amazing short. The new one is also 'okay' but I do not like the first part much at all... it comes to life much better in the Unchained Melody section.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The last part is the RW. Evan is from the era where CD's were competed, and you had to be ready to compete any of some 5 or 6 different pieces of music.; you didn't know which until the draw at a given competition. Madison less so, but yes she too has competed in 2010 and before at senior level. I am not surprised the RW looks pretty darn good.

OTOH, The first part of the program is completely new, and to foxtrot, rather than polka. I expect it to do nothing but improve. And the ending is fabulous :love:

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I love the new SD, I wonder if they can use the Dark eyes for another season? It was great too.
Incredible this season many teams have not programs enough good and they have 2 beautiful options.

firal

Record Breaker
So apparently they only had 2 run throughs of their SD before the real thing?? Crazy!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought Evan did not look healthy, and he ended the program drenched in sweat and kind of glassy eyed, something I don't remember seeing at Nebelhorn. I wonder whether he was having a cold or something?

uhh

Medalist
I really want the full story on what happened with the FD over the summer - did they chuck everything that they did with Najarro & if so, why? The dance they have now is so bland, just element after element with no nuance, but the work they did with him on their paso last year was really good, so I'm surprised it didn't work out this time. They've shown that they are capable of much more than this, sort it out please Igor!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yeah, I know this is a fan thread but honestly I am not a fan of their FD this year, it is incredibly bland to me as well (though the costumes are :love:). I also was kind of baffled buy some of the scoring of it at this particular competition- for instance the positive GOE on the twizzles is a bit puzzling given that Madison crashed toward Evan and almost fell over. A lot of the program felt a bit off.

I am sure they will be making improvements throughout the season though and hopefully by worlds I will 'get' the program a bit better.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yeah, I know this is a fan thread but honestly I am not a fan of their FD this year, it is incredibly bland to me as well (though the costumes are :love:). I also was kind of baffled buy some of the scoring of it at this particular competition- for instance the positive GOE on the twizzles is a bit puzzling given that Madison crashed toward Evan and almost fell over. A lot of the program felt a bit off.

I am sure they will be making improvements throughout the season though and hopefully by worlds I will 'get' the program a bit better.

It was barely noticeable. She just lightly touched him and calmly did the last twizzle. Maybe there other issues that they'd like to keep under wraps. But knowing them, they will regroup.