Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

Astrid56

Final Flight
Here's Maddie/Evan's 2015 Grand Prix Finals media teleconference _ http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/158576780/v532729883 . It's nice to know their take of the program ... what they intend to show in their Rachmaninoff program which is to depict the various emotions/feelings/experiences we go through in life. I think, their interpretation is right on the money (Rachmaninoff composed this concerto to express his struggles [depression] and triumphs).

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Congratulations on winning Silver at the GPF !! I must say I felt their music choices this season were not their best (I much preferred Dark Eyes in their SD, for example) but I adore their EX! Initially I was not a big fan of Rach for their FD but will say at the end of the day it certainly made a Satement at the GPF. Their choreographers know know what they're doing...

katha

On the Ice
I find it admirable that they're tackling Rach, it's not an easy piece to interpret. But they do need to do things like that, to keep challenging themselves so they can develop. It's not possible without risk. Rach is not quite there yet IMO, but it did look a lot better here (apart from the twizzle mistake of course). And people like to harp on Igor for not being original in choreo and there's truth to that, but this is an ambitious piece and he's been working on it constantly to get it to workd and to get them high scores for it. He's succeeding now IMO, it's looking coherent as a piece of choreography in a way it didn't at the beginning of the season. Though Madison has to get her issues with the twizzles under control, that is really costly.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I find it admirable that they're tackling Rach, it's not an easy piece to interpret. But they do need to do things like that, to keep challenging themselves so they can develop. It's not possible without risk. Rach is not quite there yet IMO, but it did look a lot better here (apart from the twizzle mistake of course). And people like to harp on Igor for not being original in choreo and there's truth to that, but this is an ambitious piece and he's been working on it constantly to get it to workd and to get them high scores for it. He's succeeding now IMO, it's looking coherent as a piece of choreography in a way it didn't at the beginning of the season. Though Madison has to get her issues with the twizzles under control, that is really costly.

Yes! Well said Katha.... The twizzle error may well have cost them the Gold. Appreciate your insights about the choreographic strategies...

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think they did just wonderfully at this competition and should be proud of themselves :cheer:

While I do agree that Madison has to get the twizzles better, and have been saying so for a while now, I do have to say that I actually find it VERY impressive, with how off balance she was, that she not only didn't fall, but actually managed to fight through and continue the twizzle. That must have taken a lot of core strength, and some mental strength too. Well done!

humbaba

Final Flight
I do have to say that I actually find it VERY impressive, with how off balance she was, that she not only didn't fall, but actually managed to fight through and continue the twizzle.

I agree. I was amazed that Madison managed to not put her free foot down and was able to keep the twizzles going. It was a really impressive save.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so happy for Maddie and Evan, and as an avid fan I'm so proud of them.

I really love the changes they've made to the FD. I think the reworking since CoC brought back some of the nuances and touches, the drama and emotional expressiveness, that is such a strength of theirs. I thought the lifts were better, more dramatic and more wow factor. And I loved the little homage, or echo of their jumping for joy moment at the end of last year's FD.

Well done!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
That was their best skate of free dance EVER. I mean emotionally. I was very touched by this FD. And WeakAnkles will not let me lie here, I didn't even like the dance! :luv17: In my opinion, even with this mistake on twizzles Chock/Bates should have won FD. It was so much better than WePo dance, and elements looked better.

Kudos to Igor for new Diagonal Step Sequence. He changed holds, and changes of holds, just like I thought he would do.

And also, I took a pictures with Evan and Madi! Evan is such a nice guy, very friendly :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Aw WONDERFUL to hear you approached them and that he was especially kind! How exciting! Glad to hear the dance looked great live too, though I'm not surprised... I find them to be VERY special live.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I adore the changes they made to the FD for the GPF, especially the opening 30 seconds or so, and the lift positions. The new transition out of the spin was absolutely lovely. I thought the change to the ending for the GP series was super awkward, and always expected Evan to fall over while he's staggering to the finish line. The new ending is so much better, and makes more sense to me.

I believe the execution of this program will just get better & better the more they live with this version. Their chemistry is already amazing, now they just need to polish this so it becomes second nature. And I have no doubt they'll be paying particular attention to the twizzles ;p

icekiwi

On the Ice
I am quite upset for Chock/Bates not taking the national title today.

As for the SDs, my personal opinion after watching from TV screen, the margin should be a bit more, at least 2 points above the Shibs. Maddie and Evans' twizzles were more difficult with a foot held with one hand at the first segment that has 7 rotations.

Again with the FDs today, I personally didn't think the margin of difference should be that great. A '4' point difference is a bit high between them and the Shibs. If anything, I thought Maddie and Evans' FD were more demanding technically, skating to the structure of Rachmaninov's Concerto in C minor. It was superbly choreograghed if one understands classical music - twizzles again were more difficult with the hand holding the foot of the blade, every knee and upper body movement were superbly structured to the rise and fall of Rachmaninov. Of course, the passion is always there as usual.

Could someone here explain why they got a level 2 for their spin which I read in another forum?

robredo40

On the Ice
there was a clear travel at the start of the spin which i immediatly noticed, as far as the fd i agree the shibutanis fd was not as technically demanding, its a crowd pleasing program for sure i think the USFSA may have shot themselves in the foot today.

katha

On the Ice
They lost it on the levels, and I noticed the spin as well, so I'm all right with the result. The top three skated great in particular. C/B can be very proud of themselves and this is the best the FD has looked all season. And I don't want to be a grumpy pants because I like Fix You very much as a program, it's more immediately accessible than what C/B are doing this year (though I also maintain that going for Rach and challenging themselves was worth the risk) and the Shibs seem like super people. But the Shibs got level four on everything this competition. And though they are neat and clean, that's not what they've been getting in the GPs. And I doubt they will be getting those calls in international events, and I'm not sure where they stand with GOE and PCS either.

I hope it works out for both C/B and the Shibs because IMO both teams have really strong competitive programs this season and they've been skating great. But my fear is that this result will hamper both teams and give the judges an excuse to dump them both. I don't think the Shibs are ready to challenge for gold at Worlds yet and C/B's chances have been hurt by this result. Or perhaps ice dance has become so fluid that it won't matter and as long as a team skates well they'll get the scores. I certainly hope so.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Final Flight
there was a clear travel at the start of the spin which i immediatly noticed, as far as the fd i agree the shibutanis fd was not as technically demanding, its a crowd pleasing program for sure i think the USFSA may have shot themselves in the foot today.

Yes I tend to agree. It is a crowd pleasing program for sure and they do skate it very well. You can see they love their program and it's an excellent vehicle for them. But, I've been watch many times both Shibs and C/B FD, I have to say even though I'm not really a fan of C/B, Shibs' FD does not seem as demanding. Again, it's definitely more difficult to structure a program around Rachmaninov than Coldplay's straightforward Fix you song. Also, I really can see C/B pushing themselves this year and I especially like Evan's improvement in his interpretation. The question is, how much weight a crowd pleasure the shibs's FD skated in Boston in front of a home crowd will carry among the judges at Worlds ?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am proud of these two and think both they and the Shibs skated great. If they had gotten all level 4s like the Shibs, they probably would have won, but they didn't, and that's the way it goes. I think both teams are top notch.

Alba

Record Breaker
I hope it works out for both C/B and the Shibs because IMO both teams have really strong competitive programs this season and they've been skating great. But my fear is that this result will hamper both teams and give the judges an excuse to dump them both. I don't think the Shibs are ready to challenge for gold at Worlds yet and C/B's chances have been hurt by this result. Or perhaps ice dance has become so fluid that it won't matter and as long as a team skates well they'll get the scores. I certainly hope so.

My impression, looking at Juniors crazy scores this season, is that the USFSA is opening the way for their junior teams next season. I think they believe in those couples - as far as the Oly is concerned - much more than on the seniors they have now and they might have a good point.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Thanks to everyone for the explanation on the Level 2 twizzles. Still, if Maddie and Evan had been awarded a higher mark on the SP and on other elements for their FD, it could have made up for the error like what happened at the GPF.

I do agree with others here that "coldplay" is more a crowdpleasing vehicle and for 'once' the Shibs who have often looked 'ackward' and 'bland' emotionally to me is really showing some true passions but a Gold medal placing shouldn't be handed out just because they are 'finally' connecting to the music, while other teams have demonstrated real chemistry and true passions for a long time. The USFSU gave an emotional reward and marks to please the crowd.

I agree with you, Katha. That was the first thing that came to my mind when the Shibs were awarded the Gold yesterday. This would give the ISU judges ground to dump both American teams. It is clear now internationally, they want 4 teams from 4 countries to fight out for Gold at the next Oly - Canadians, Italians (Anna/Luca are so not up there in my opinion), French (loads of real chemistry and great skating skills but there were errors in their twizzles at worlds) and one American (Chock/Bates is the US team recognised by the ISU judges and deservingly so)

Anyway, Maddie/Evan skated that FD so well yesterday, the best so far this season. Every segment was choreographed to the phrasing and rhythm of the music and loads of chemistry to go with it. I am a lot more comfortable now with the ending.

I so felt for Maddie/Evan yesterday especially seeing their faces. I am still reeling over this result...............