How to plan for a trip to the Olympics (2018 focus) | Golden Skate

How to plan for a trip to the Olympics (2018 focus)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would love to go to Pyeongchang for the 2018 Olympics. I have a deep interest in Korean culture. I had the opportunity to visit South Korea in 2008 and would love to return. In addition, I'd expect the figure skating competition fields to be pretty awesome and I'd think my husband would enjoy some of the other events, such as the slope-style skiing/snowboarding, skiing/snowboard halfpipe, etc.

I have no idea where I'll be in four years (I have no children now, but might by 2018) and this may turn out to be a totally unrealistic endeavor, but I'd love your tips and guidance on how you plan for a trip like the Olympics. When do you start looking at flights? Are those packages are good deal? What's the best way to get tickets?

I'd probably try to get in some time in Seoul as well while I'm there.

Just am curious how it works.

P.S. At this point going to 2016 Worlds in Boston seems like a more ideal endeavor....but I'd be willing to trade off Boston Worlds for a trip to Korea. :p

anyanka

Record Breaker
I believe there are a number of touring companies that have packages for the Olympics set up. It's not a bad idea to find a couple that specialize in these and put in an early query, so you'll have some idea of what they offer and what you may need to follow up on your own. They'll likely set up accommodations, flights and help you with the paperwork requirements, but for individual event tickets you will probably have to brave the online queues and stalk the sites for when they go on sale.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I think airlines publish their flight schedule 1-year in advanced, so if you want to book your international flight tickets to Incheon separately, the earliest you'd be able to do is 1 year before travel dates.

The indoor events are actually to be held in Gangneung. The alpine stuff in Alpensia Resort is probably 2+ hour (?) drive from Gangneung. The cities might streamline the transit between venues by Olympic time, but looking at it today, it's easier with a tour package. And I hate travelling with a tour group. Having been to Seoul in 2012 (travelled alone), I found navigating the city to be rather easy despite not knowing the language beyond hello and thank you. But of course, Seoul, especially their subway system, has English all over the place, color coded and all. The Gangneung+Alpensia area is another story - seeing the nearest airport (Yangyang) doesn't currently have scheduled flights to/from Incheon. Although, according to this site, they are trying to plan for charter flights from various Asian cities.

They also have an official twitter account. Might be worth a follow for updates on tickets info. Also check the visitkorea site in a couple years, maybe after your Boston Worlds :biggrin:, they oughta have some Olympic package.

desertskates

Medalist
I would love to go to Pyeongchang for the 2018 Olympics. I have a deep interest in Korean culture. I had the opportunity to visit South Korea in 2008 and would love to return. In addition, I'd expect the figure skating competition fields to be pretty awesome and I'd think my husband would enjoy some of the other events, such as the slope-style skiing/snowboarding, skiing/snowboard halfpipe, etc.

I have no idea where I'll be in four years (I have no children now, but might by 2018) and this may turn out to be a totally unrealistic endeavor, but I'd love your tips and guidance on how you plan for a trip like the Olympics. When do you start looking at flights? Are those packages are good deal? What's the best way to get tickets?

I'd probably try to get in some time in Seoul as well while I'm there.

Just am curious how it works.

P.S. At this point going to 2016 Worlds in Boston seems like a more ideal endeavor....but I'd be willing to trade off Boston Worlds for a trip to Korea. :p

A girlfriend and I are very seriously considering going, also. I've been told lodging is the first thing you have to worry about, then event tickets, airline last. You can usually only book tickets about 10 months in advance. Pyeongchang has little in the way of lodging currently, but that will change rapidly, I'm sure. My husband travels a lot for work, and has no interest in using his downtime to do so, no kids here, and there won't be any then.
I would also be planning on some time in Seoul, so our loose plan of attack is to go to the games for one week only. Maybe the first week, if the team event stays. For now, I'm abstaining from my yearly international girlfriend getaways (sigh) and socking all that money away so that if something great comes up I'll have the $$ to try to make it happen. Currently, South Korea is a stamped visa on entry for US citizens, so that part's easy.
If a group tour comes up, we'd likely go with that to save myself from a nervous breakdown on the event entry stuff. I'm pretty good at pulling things like Rihanna tickets out of thin air, but it's not quite the same :rofl:
I'll post back if I learn anything new!