Ice dance rule changes 2014-2015 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice dance rule changes 2014-2015

elif

Medalist
This change will be hard on Coomes and Buckland, but it might be good for the Shibsibs.

Why one less lift good for Shibutanis?:confused: If you have good dance skills but bad lifts, yes this rule work for you. But Shibutanis needs a lot of improvement on dance. Lifts are not that bad.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
basically this new rule favors little height difference like the overjoyed Hawayek / Baker etc.
will be disappointing for Coomes / Buckland who rely on their height to get difficult lifts but having terrible skating skills

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Take a look at the makeup of the ISU Dance Committee and you should have a pretty good idea why.

North Americans ? No more D/W and V/M who did difficult lifts
their new dancers have little height difference with good basics and skating skills
they are shooting for Hawayek / Baker for 2018 Olympics ?

you are spot on that

elif

Medalist
Good news for Stepanova/Bukin too. Interesting last two world junior ice dance champions have little height difference.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Good news for Stepanova/Bukin too. Interesting last two world junior ice dance champions have little height difference.

Stepanova / Bukin have bad posture and skating skills
this new rule is molded for like Hawayek / Baker , similar height but good basics and skating skills

bramweld

Record Breaker
Stepanova / Bukin have bad posture and skating skills
this new rule is molded for like Hawayek / Baker , similar height but good basics and skating skills

Height difference? What we should have is fewer but more choreographically interesting lifts. So rather than all six second lifts one should be a extended lift say 10 seconds. Otherwise what real challenge is there moving from juniors to seniors? Just an extra 30 second choreographic sequence/content? How do you objectively grade that?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Height difference? What we should have is fewer but more choreographically interesting lifts. So rather than all six second lifts one should be a extended lift say 10 seconds. Otherwise what real challenge is there moving from juniors to seniors? Just an extra 30 second choreographic sequence/content? How do you objectively grade that?

Sure that would be a good development. But it isn't. It's simply eliminating an entire lift for what? Six more seconds of steps? And as Doris points out, it is going to kill combo lifts. So say good bye to programs like Scheherazade, which gains much of its excitement of its ending from the momentum of one lift after another. Oh well.

Oh it's a step alright--a big step backward.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Let's get serious S/B have lots of work to do no matter what rules are in place. It is the russian coaches who are partly to blame for the poor packaging and refinement of their skaters. Zhulin at the very least tries to polish his skaters. If S/Z don't make serious improvements or change coaches they will be overtaken by a number of new faces.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I agree that more creativity in the SD could be very good, especially because it may lead to new CDs (during the last 20 years only a couple of dances were invented!), but taking one lift away from the FD is not really an intelligent move :slink:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Why? oh why? That looks like such a tacky little dance. Why do they have to continue with these dreadful patterns. JMO by the way :cry:

I need someone to show me a good paso doble! Why so much drama? :disapp:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:
Sure that would be a good development. But it isn't. It's simply eliminating an entire lift for what? Six more seconds of steps? And as Doris points out, it is going to kill combo lifts. So say good bye to programs like Scheherazade, which gains much of its excitement of its ending from the momentum of one lift after another. Oh well.

Oh it's a step alright--a big step backward.

:cry: This is such a shame... They're taking the excitement away from ice dance right after interest was rekindled (to a degree, for a time period) in countries like the U.S. No offense to those who feel differently, but if I want to watch a dance program, I'll go watch some ballroom dancing. I get that ice dance isn't pairs....But the more they push for less athletic expectations, the more complaints there will be as to why it's an Olympic sport, imo....

Plus I just LOVED Scheherazade .... And was excited by the direction I/K's programs were headed. :(

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
should Ice Dancing be removed now as an Olympic Sport ?
I think it should

after all they now think its more dancing and not a sport/athleticism :unsure:

caitie

Medalist
Well, to be fair I think the change is less about six seconds of more steps and more about all the time and energy it takes to come up with and train the lifts -- they want to shift the focus a bit to choreography maybe?

But let's be real, the lifts and twizzles are the most popular part of ice dance. I will miss combo lifts especially, ugh. And I really think free dances would be better if there was an extra spin, said no one ever! I wish they'd left it alone. At least one compulsory pattern and I assume some required turns is an interesting change to the SD.

noskates

Record Breaker
I doubt reducing the requirements by ONE lift is going to make that much of a difference. Quite frankly, for some of the teams those lifts really break the flow of the program. What I don't like is the required spin. Doesn't seem to fit an ice dance program. It will be interesting to see what the teams do with creativity ....

caitie

Medalist
I doubt reducing the requirements by ONE lift is going to make that much of a difference. Quite frankly, for some of the teams those lifts really break the flow of the program. What I don't like is the required spin. Doesn't seem to fit an ice dance program. It will be interesting to see what the teams do with creativity ....

It's actually reduced by two required lifts. Now only three are required + a choreo lift OR a choreo spin.