Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She may be overscored but she didn't get any undeserved titles out of it.

It's not like she was the only over scored skater this year either. The only time she won unfairly was CoR but after Caro held onto the bronze at WC I've since cleared my conscience of that one.

malif

Rinkside
I don't believe that there is a lot of systematic difference "on the ice" because each school has
several coaches with their own approaches. For example, in CSKA there is Buyanova (Vodorezova)
coaching Sotnikova and Kovtun, and Goncharenko coaching Radionova (she was also the first coach
of Sotnikova). In Sambo70 Tutberidze coaches Yulia, Medvedeva, Pitkeev and Voronov, while Tsareva coaches
Pogorilaia in other group. These four coaches are all quite different.

The struggle I meant goes behind the scene: "working with judges and federation", some times "black PR" etc
(what was called "toxic atmosphere" in other post here). CSKA is more influential in FS federation,
especially their guru Tatiana Tarasova, and, as posted here, they don't like the others.
It's a kind of relations between old aristocracy (CSKA rooted in now old soviet times) and "parvenues"
suddenly entering the main scene. Read the remarkable life story of Eteri Tutberidze, if you did n't yet, to better see the
last point.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Read the remarkable life story of Eteri Tutberidze, if you did n't yet, to better see the
last point.

My hairdresser says he went to same class in high school as Tutberidze. Claims she never cared for studying. Yet now after Lipnitskaya's success he met her and she is still simple, nice, and not arrogant.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
It's not like she was the only over scored skater this year either. The only time she won unfairly was CoR but after Caro held onto the bronze at WC I've since cleared my conscience of that one.

And yet I only hear crickets after Kostner miraculously held onto the bronze.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
I think the best russian baby is Maria Sotskova, she is so stylish and jazzy.. she will be the next Carolina Kostner.. she is very diferent of others russian, all Slutskaya o Butyrskaya copies..Sotskova is really a little Kostner

Ace

Rinkside
Reading this forum I can't resist thinking that Yulia can't skate at all! She won all those medals only because Putin corrupted the entire world figure skating community and this forum is the last stronghold of the uncorrupted! lol

Haha just ignore it. Everyone has irrational haters. Anyway, so pleases she did so well at a Worlds :)

Anastasi14

On the Ice
My personal favorite among russian babies is Alexandra Proklova, because she can be different, she can do lyrical program or ballet or something dancing. She was so inpressive at the Russian Nationals! But it's difficult to predict how her body will change and how it will affect her jumps.

I like Serafima, she has one of the best SS among all this girls, and very expressive arms. But i want her to try something new, not always be a nice lyrical girl. And i also have some bad feelings about her growth, she already look not so thin and more mature than other girls of the same age. Puberty may affect her earlier then other Russian baby-girls. And her jumping technique not exellent, she also sits very deep on her landing leg after landing.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I was really impressed with Anna P at Worlds, having read a few interviews I like her even more. She seems to be grounded, levelheaded and mature beyond her age girl. I’ve come across one interview taken straight after China Cup and translate here a part of it (sorry - little time may be not a good translation):

‘‘Q: You didn’t hide your emotions when finished in first ahead of Carolina Costner. Do you think she might have been hurt by it?
A: No, I don’t think so, at least she didn’t show it. But who I really managed to unnerve was Adelina Sotnikova. She was really angry that I did better than her and I think our next competition won’t be easy. Even during training sessions in China she used some dirty tactics. Mind you, Adelina is a honey outside the rink but on the rink she can be very intimidating. I didn’t let it unbalance me, it was even interesting to watch like some perfomance. She would stand there not looking like not noticing me at all, but just when I would pass past her preparing for a jump she would follow me so closely that I would have to give up well knowing that if that was anyone else they would let me to do a jump but not Adelina and that if I still went for a jump we would sure crash into each other. Her purpose was to demoralize me but it didn’t work!’’

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656865

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I was really impressed with Anna P at Worlds, having read a few interviews I like her even more. She seems to be grounded, levelheaded and mature beyond her age girl. I’ve come across one interview taken straight after China Cup and translate here a part of it (sorry - little time may be not a good translation):

‘‘Q: You didn’t hide your emotions when finished in first ahead of Carolina Costner. Do you think she might have been hurt by it?
A: No, I don’t think so, at least she didn’t show it. But who I really managed to unnerve was Adelina Sotnikova. She was really angry that I did better than her and I think our next competition won’t be easy. Even during training sessions in China she used some dirty tactics. Mind you, Adelina is a honey outside the rink but on the rink she can be very intimidating. I didn’t let it unbalance me, it was even interesting to watch like some perfomance. She would stand there not looking like not noticing me at all, but just when I would pass past her preparing for a jump she would follow me so closely that I would have to give up well knowing that if that was anyone else they would let me to do a jump but not Adelina and that if I still went for a jump we would sure crash into each other. Her purpose was to demoralize me but it didn’t work!’’

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656865

I don't think that bashing another skater shows a mature mind

usethis2

Medalist
You know that how? :rofl:

@melissa_ire: Thank you again! I like Anna a lot, too, and she was indeed the most impressive skater to me (aside from Mao) in the WC. I like her feisty but clear-headed attitude in that interview. She is so young and has so many possibilities. I hope she will return next season with fantastic programs to shock the world.

jcsamex

Rinkside
I think the best russian baby is Maria Sotskova, she is so stylish and jazzy.. she will be the next Carolina Kostner.. she is very diferent of others russian, all Slutskaya o Butyrskaya copies..Sotskova is really a little Kostner

I agree. That girl has so much potential.

I love Adelina but I think it's gonna be more than difficult for her to keep up with all the younger girls (and she's only 17 for Christ sake).

hurrah

Medalist
I can totally see that Adelina might try and impede practices. Another Russian skater who was irritating to watch during practice was Tut. Alena Lenova, too, was really obvious. And the older Helgesson sister, too. She was pretty annoying to watch in practice as well.

Fortunately, during Worlds, all the skaters were very respectful and there didn't seem to be any of that crap.

Tutto

Record Breaker
She never said about "dirty tactics", the rest is more or less correct.

I think I apologised beforehand it wasn't to be a word by word translation. I don't know either of them personally and journalists not to be trusted but I kind of find easy to believe that Adelina is capable of err.. strong emotions and that she is not a good loser. Just remember her reactions when she wasnt in for a team event. To Anna's credit she did say in that interview that outside rink Adelina is very nice person