So-Youn Park | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

Kuan

Final Flight
Don't hate me for saying this but IMO if she wants to do 3F-3T or 3Lz-3T, she needs to 1) lose weight, or 2) need some serious power training for leg muscles. Her chest is kinda big for her height and she needs lots of speed to land any kind of combo as it is. Compare her combos with, say, Yulia's. Yulia with no flow and mule kicks can eek out 3T combos because she is so small and her chest doesn't get in the way of rotation. I definitely prefer Park's textbook style (who knows what will happen to Yulia in the next few years), but nevertheless Park's 2nd/3rd jumps in combos are tiny because that chest puts quite a bit more stress on her legs when landing.

Example:

Check out her 2nd Lutz combo (3Lz-2T-2Lo) in realtime -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2jzPxN68vrU#t=169
Slo-mo -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2jzPxN68vrU#t=340

Her TES was fine in WC 2014 and may even be enough in 2018 if Korea does Sochi :biggrin: , but 3-3 has become a staple of top flight contenders and she will need one other than 3T-3T.

Loose weight??? :confused:
Where?

For comparison... Yuna Kim and Hae Jin Kim at Krean Nationals on the podium. pic 1 pic 2 She seems to be as slim as Yuna and Hae Jin. Ok, she has another bodytype, but still slim and well trained.

Note: This is a thread in FAN FESTS. If you are not a fan, then stay out of here. :rolleye: Criticism is ok, but that is vicius nonsense.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Couldn't agree more...She was indeed one of the most beautiful surprises at this Worlds. I saw her in Sochi also,but at that time I wasn't able to have a clear opinion about her :) But now I know exactly that I'll watch her more carefully . And I also believe she could medal at the 2018 Olympics :popcorn:

And of course,she is very beautiful and surly doesn't need to lose weight ;)

Well consider Adelina's highest world championship was 9th. So Young is equal to her already without a strong federation or any hype.

Eurosport broadcast (Hilarious mistakes as usual from Eurosport boyz, PyeonChang not PyeonYang. Also it is Rachmaninov not Andrew Lloyd Webber.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzPxN68vrU

CBC broadcast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDcWNS8FxI

Cute picture with team mate Jin-Seo, also Zijun and HanYan
She and Zijun are good friends from their days at Youth Olympics as 3rd and 4th. Han Yan is listed to take part at Yuna's farewell ice show in May.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/os168_photo/WC2014/kckids3_zps41a18a42.jpg

Kuan

Final Flight

usethis2

Medalist
Loose weight??? :confused:

Note: This is a thread in FAN FESTS. If you are not a fan, then stay out of here. :rolleye: Criticism is ok, but that is vicius nonsense.

I said lose weight or strengthen leg muscles for 3-3. What is vicious about it escapes me because I offered my analysis which I won't repeat here. I like her skating very much and want her to succeed.

Eurosport broadcast (Hilarious mistakes as usual from Eurosport boyz, PyeonChang not PyeonYang. Also it is Rachmaninov not Andrew Lloyd Webber.)

CBC broadcast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDcWNS8FxI
What struck me from both the commentaries was how often they utter "judges," and "judging." What is it called, Freudian something..? ;) Thank you for the links, os168.

Thank you for that video, Mrs. P. I stand corrected; she doesn't skate like a junior. I think my first impression came from rather incoherent choreo and music cuts than her movements.

BTW I love that camera work. So much better gauging the speed across the ice and everything just looks bigger. I hope NBC/BBC copies it.

cooper

Medalist
so youn said that her goal is to get in the podium in pyeongchang... good for her!! at least that will be a motivation for her in the next 4 years to get better and be consistent...

and there are other young junior skaters in korea that are promising.. hopefully they will also get better..

and ksu SHOULD get their act together..

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I think her "debut" in this year's worlds was amazing and it showed her potential as a podium contender. I may sound odd but I'm thankful that she has the time to improve and get better so in case some certain event in Sochi occurs again in Pyeongchang, we can wholly say the she deserves her medal. I do hope KSU got a wake-up call after her placing this year. They should start on focusing on figure skating more! They have a deep pool of fs skaters that shows potential. My goodness, KSU should have built another ice rink already! Arrggghhh

jimeonji

Final Flight
I watched So Youn's Worlds programs yesterday and was pleasantly impressed!! I hope to see some podium finishes this season, and it shouldn't be too much to expect for a win at Korean Nationals, right? :laugh:
small matter, but it actually is Andrew Lloyd Webber and not Rachmaninoff. That Paganini caprice is quite popular, and Rach wasn't the only one that wrote variations on it :p

alicetang

Rinkside
ive only watched soyoun's recent worlds performance but i have to say, just from that, it looks like she has a lot of potential. her jump technique is really on point and consistent for someone her age. if theres one thing ive consistently found that i can't get over about younger (mostly junior) ladies, its how uncomfortable and awkward their jumping styles are but soyoun seems to have a great hold on her own technique.
leading up to vancouver i remember reading an article about yuna's body structure and how it's helped her get an edge over other skaters. a lot of people have commented on soyoun's weight but honestly i see no problem; you'd be surprised at what a skater's body looks like in person. i feel like the camera and the distance viewers see the skater elongate the legs and arms in general. anyways, i remember reading this article about how yuna's torso leg proportion is crazy abnormal and that she has almost a 1:2 torso leg ratio, which is why she looks like she has so much flow and power when she skates (aka good lines). in addition, i watched a yuna documentary where she talked about how she started skating when some coach saw her at a rink and told her she should skate because she has the perfect body structure for it. you can't really compare any skater to yuna because it's a crazy standard lets be real here
granted, soyoun has a long way to go but i could see her on the podium in at the 2018 games and compared to her teammate haejin soyoun seems a lot more stable overall. (again ive only watched one of her performances but im definitely going to watch many more)
all in all, soyoun's a huge potential threat to the current arsenal of womens figure skating especially with all the ladies retiring (sighs sadly) and i will anticipate her next and upcoming seasons!! :)

Scovies

Final Flight
I agree, alicetang. Just from her worlds performances, I really like this girl. She's got really lovely presentation -- she has some of the most graceful arms I've ever seen. And she does have at least one triple-triple in her arsenal, as she did a terrific 3S+3Z in her short program. I wouldn't be surprised if we see her doing a more difficult combination next year. She's one of the few ladies I've seen who does a true lutz and true flip; it's usually one or the other. If she does well on the Grand Prix next year, I think her PCS will skyrocket. Fingers crossed that she gets good programs!

One random thing I love about her skating: on her I-spin, she actually points the toe of her free leg! I've never seen anyone do that, but it's so much prettier than the flexed foot you usually see.

ahy

Final Flight
There is an awful lot potential in her :DDD ksu really should wake up!!! Build an ice rink for figure skaters!! Also, i hope DaBin Choi can get through puberty, she seems promising too!!

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
It was pointed out on the 2014-15 Grand Prix thread in The Edge that So-Youn may qualify for a seeded spot in the Grand Prix this year. She came in 9th, assuming at least three skaters who were above her at Worlds either retire or decline to compete in the Grand Prix, she'll be the sixth seed. Seems there is a good chance this could happen given what we know (Akiko Suzuki retiring, Carolina and Mao both considering retirement and/or sitting out the Grand Prix next year.) This seems like a great opportunity for So-Youn and not one I would've necessarily expected. It is a wonderful chance to get out there in front of the international judges. Hurrah!

lbc2138

On the Ice
I haven't paid much attention to other ladies besides the obvious ones like Mao, Carolina, Yuna, Akiko, etc. but after seeing her placement at Worlds, I was procrastinating today and finally sat down to watch So Youn's programs from Worlds.

Wow did I miss out. I am now a huge fan of her! She's only 16 with soo so much potential (as stated by everyone here). I'm looking forward to seeing her compete next season and in Pyeongchang!

I think she can definitely push either two elements after the halfway mark for that 10 percent boost or adding a more difficult combination. She looks pretty solid and hopefully over the puberty monster. I hope her next set of programs challenge her and get her to a podium spot in 2018!

Meoima

Match Penalty
:think: With Mao retiring and other Japanese ladies are not really consistent with their jumps, I hope she can be one of the new faces for Asia in the ladies field. I mean, Russian ladies are too strong and there are so many of them, I hope there will be at least some Asian faces.:biggrin:
GO So-Youn! :cool:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I should've posted this earlier but anyway,

So-Youn is performing to I Dream A Dream but by the Glee cast for ATS. Although I wish that she skate it with Susan Boyle's version instead, I'm thinking that it might be her one of her competitive programs for next year. :think:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I should've posted this earlier but anyway,
So-Youn is performing to I Dream A Dream but by the Glee cast for ATS. Although I wish that she skate it with Susan Boyle's version instead, I'm thinking that it might be her one of her competitive programs for next year. :think:
Next year she will be 17 years old, isn't? Will she get taller? Most Asian girls stop growing at this age, but I am not sure. I hope she has done growing already.

jimeonji

Final Flight
Next year she will be 17 years old, isn't? Will she get taller? Most Asian girls stop growing at this age, but I am not sure. I hope she has done growing already.

yup, her birthday is actually a few weeks before mine :biggrin: I'm Chinese and I'm definitely done growing, and it seems that she's really filled out now - I would think she's done growing. Looking at her ISU profile, we are also about the same height - she's 160cm. Very excited to see her skate at ATS in a few days and I hope she'll continue to improve on her artistry in the coming seasons leading up to Pyeongchang :yay:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I'm looking forwards to watching her progress for the next few years. She was a delightful surprise during Worlds, and she has a good chance of making the podium in 2018 if she continues to improve.