So-Youn Park | Page 3 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

ahy

Final Flight
I was so excited when So Youn got into top 10, i really hope she can gain confident from this and go up against the russians, but then she also had to improve her spins and step sequences. While her jumping technique is really great. Her puberty seemed over already. KSU better bring their acts together, it's so sad to see actually some of the Koreans actually have an awful lot of potential but the training environment is horrible.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I think with the wake up call they got from So-Youn and possibly Jin-Seo, KSU WILL (and I hope) get their acts together. It would be a pity and a waste if they don't let them reach their potential. At least let them go abroad if they don't have enough ice time! :bang:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Next Olympic, she will be at her peak, won't she. I hope she will shine.

cooper

Medalist
Next Olympic, she will be at her peak, won't she. I hope she will shine.

depends how Korean skating union will do.. they're incompetent.. not to mention short track and speed skating are the top priorities.. (even when yuna was still active)..

lbc2138

On the Ice
depends how Korean skating union will do.. they're incompetent.. not to mention short track and speed skating are the top priorities.. (even when yuna was still active)..

I know the KSU is at the very least, miffed about the whole Yuna incident but I hope they turn their attention to So Youn who has a possibility of being at the top of the podium in the next cycle up until Pyeongchang. I'm sure they know that much considering her results at this Worlds.

She may need an international coach so that maybe she could get a bit more attention. I'm not sure if the KSU is going to be eager to work with Russian choreographers but I guess we'll have to wait and see if So Youn will purely be a product of Korean figure skating.

Meoima

Match Penalty
She may need an international coach so that maybe she could get a bit more attention. I'm not sure if the KSU is going to be eager to work with Russian choreographers but I guess we'll have to wait and see if So Youn will purely be a product of Korean figure skating.
Baring anything that happened in Sochi, I doubt that KSU would want to send So Youn to the Russians.
US maybe, definitely not to Canada where Brian Orser is, though.
Though I think she might get choreography from David Wilson.
That I don't want because his choreography has been getting lackluster these days.:disapp:
Still, he is still better than most choreographers out there.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am thinking maybe KSU should send her to Frank Carroll if they want her to have an international coach.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Then I hope he doesn't make her skate to princess-y programs :no:

lbc2138

On the Ice
Then I hope he doesn't make her skate to princess-y programs :no:

Haha are you referring to Gracie?

So Youn does have this refined way of skating despite her age. Very good! Having artistry down in addition to pretty good jumps, she's hopefully well on her way to a podium spot for worlds next year given some skaters are taking a break/retiring.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Still, he is still better than most choreographers out there.

I think David Wilson's choreo is great on refined skaters so I think So Youn would be fine using him. In terms to technicality, it seems like the Korean coaches are doing an excellent job so far...

Canada would be awkward but I don't think sending her to the US would be any better (case in point the current American skaters and anyone who isn't team USA that's training in the US)

Or I could just be cynical about US figure skating haha

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Haha are you referring to Gracie?

So Youn does have this refined way of skating despite her age. Very good! Having artistry down in addition to pretty good jumps, she's hopefully well on her way to a podium spot for worlds next year given some skaters are taking a break/retiring.

Yeah...I kinda am :eek:hwell: I do know that he's a good coach but the way he's been packaging his skaters lately isn't impressing me...

lbc2138

On the Ice
Yeah...I kinda am :eek:hwell: I do know that he's a good coach but the way he's been packaging his skaters lately isn't impressing me...

Denis Ten isn't doing so bad! His programs don't wow me but I do love the fight that he puts into them.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
You do have a point. Denis is turning out fine, although I agree with you about his programs. :confused: I'm just unsure with her training under Caroll's wings.

lbc2138

On the Ice
You do have a point. Denis is turning out fine, although I agree with you about his programs. :confused: I'm just unsure with her training under Caroll's wings.

Artistry is questionable, but it looks like Gracie's and Denis's jump landings have been more stable. It's hard to credit coaches for certain things because it could just be the skater becoming more comfortable and whatnot but apparently every time they land, the commentators always talk about being the "Carroll" landing. Not that it looks any different from any other haha

I think if So Youn was sent to Carroll, she could improve on the consistency of her jumps. Especially the high-value combination ones that she already has down but maybe more triples?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Or maybe they could send her to PChan's previous coach, Christy Krall. She's a good one.