Skaters on Team Japan | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Skaters on Team Japan

Meoima

Match Penalty
Competing in seniors without a 3A seems like an anachronism. I wouldn't really recommend it. But perhaps his team wants him to have the experience.

I'm still unsure about what effect height has on jumps. What's the ideal figure skating body? Shorter and stockier for good balance, like Stojko and Patrick? Tall for big jumps, like Plushy and Joubert? Super thin like Yuzu? I'd be more worried about a singles skater who's too tall, rather than too short...
I still think below 1m60 is too short for powerful jumps like 3A and quad for men.
Lady skater like Midori Ito was short and stocky but I have never seen any men with good jumps and shorter than 1m60.

ioanna

Record Breaker
He needs to grow up at least 6 more centimeters. It's really a shame because he gets level 4 on spins and footwork and he's very smooth on the ice. He's also gifted with a lot of musicality.

BusyMom

Medalist
Men have different growth rate than women. It's very difficult to tell what will happen to Shoma at this point. Oda is pretty small too. Shoma just seems like he still holds on to his baby fat. He might loose it at some point. Right now his problem is more on his technical issues. He needs to keep up with the rest of the teenage skaters. He might get away with his artistic and spins sometimes but he could be the new sensation when he gets all the jumps. I wish him all the best for his future.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Men have different growth rate than women. It's very difficult to tell what will happen to Shoma at this point. Oda is pretty small too. Shoma just seems like he still holds on to his baby fat. He might loose it at some point. Right now his problem is more on his technical issues. He needs to keep up with the rest of the teenage skaters. He might get away with his artistic and spins sometimes but he could be the new sensation when he gets all the jumps. I wish him all the best for his future.
For the record Nobunari Oda is small but his height is still 1m64. :) the problem with skater is since they practice too much, their growth rate is very different from normal people.

I remember when Yuzuru was 15 he said his height was 1m70 and he wanted to grow taller but since then he seemed to grow only more 2-3 cm at most and they still lost him as 1m71. He seems to almost stop growing at the time.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
For the record Nobunari Oda is small but his height is still 1m64. :) the problem with skater is since they practice too much, their growth rate is very different from normal people.

I remember when Yuzuru was 15 he said his height was 1m70 and he wanted to grow taller but since then he seemed to grow only more 2-3 cm. He seems to stop growing already.
Machida is the shortest of all the Japanese men. Internet put him from 1m60m to 1m62.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Machida is the shortest of all the Japanese men. Internet put him from 1m60m to 1m62.
Yes, that's why I hope Shoma will get to 1m60 at least. But 6cm growth with a natural short body in 2-3 years is not easy, though.

yhmafan

Medalist
umm…..about Yuruzu’s height, I think that he now is around 173cm …no?:think:
in my eyes, he is a bit taller than Javier or the same height as Javi. and I guess Javi is 173-175cm
also he is at least 10cm is high, next to Mao. and Mao is 163cm

Edit: about Yuruzu’s height,>>>> about Yuzuru's height, silly me:disapp:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Yes, that's why I hope Shoma will get to 1m60 at least. But 6cm growth with a natural short body in 2-3 years is not easy, though.

Well internet says that boys that don´t have growing spurts keep growing steady so maybe he will get there eventually.

Is there anyone in the international seniors that is shortert than 1m60?

BusyMom

Medalist

I remember when Yuzuru was 15 he said his height was 1m70 and he wanted to grow taller but since then he seemed to grow only more 2-3 cm at most and they still lost him as 1m71. He seems to almost stop growing at the time.
I guess it's very varied from different reasons. I spent 11 years in a swim team and most of the boys shoot up at around the age of 12-14. They got like a foot taller in less than a year time at some point. My oldest doesn't play any sports but he is already 180cm at 16. He never have a growth spur though just kept growing at slow pace since he was 12.

I heard that some of Thai teenage actors got the Acupuncture or taking some Protein milk tablets to increase their height. Seems pretty effective to me. :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
umm…..about Yuruzu’s height, I think that he now is around 173cm …no?:think:
in my eyes, he is a bit taller than Javier or the same height as Javi. and I guess Javi is 173-175cm
also he is at least 10cm is high, next to Mao. and Mao is 163cm
He is still listed as 1m71 at the moment. Maybe that's his height when he first joined senior rank and they haven't updated it since. I think he is 1m73 now but without proper document, it's hard to know.

Japan's average height among men is 1m71 so Yuzuru's height is average in Japan. He is not a natural shorty. I have seen natural shorty people and frankly, if their body couldn't reach the height of 1m65 before 16 years old, it is very difficult for them to reach that height when they are 20.

But well, some people doesn't need much height to have powerful jumps. Midori Ito is an example. (But the leg wrap is not easy to the eyes, though).

ioanna

Record Breaker
Anything can happen. Machida himself has had a lot of trouble with his technical content and just staying consistent over the years and he finally competed at his first Worlds at the age of 24.

Shoma is actually consistent with his performances despite the 3A problems so you never know what can happen in the future. He needs help with his jumps and he needs to fix his flip / lutz though.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, some skaters are not famous for their jumps, still they can become famous, so I think Shoma can do it. He has much better presentation than both Nam and Adian Pitkeev.

ayarose

On the Ice
Well internet says that boys that don´t have growing spurts keep growing steady so maybe he will get there eventually.

Is there anyone in the international seniors that is shortert than 1m60?

Actually, growth spurts in boys starts at around 12 - 13, it would suddenly spike and reached peak by 14 to 15 y.o. There is still height velocity after but it's slow and mostly stopped by around 18. By Shoma's age, he could still grow but i doubt it would be quite significant. Genetics also plays a role, the average height of his parents is more or less the height he could obtain, give or take a few cm. By experienced though, some of my patients still grew taller, at most 2 inches after their peak.

BusyMom

Medalist
Michael Martinez is 172cm. Wow I didn't know he is that tall. I thought Parkinson from Italy is quite small too. He listed as 163cm but that is still taller than Machida. :eek:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Let´s see the size of Worlds/ Olympic Champions just to get and idea
Alexei Yagudin 1.75
Plushenko 1.78
Evan Lyzacek 1.88
Ilia Kulik 1.80
Alexei Urmanov 1.80
Viktor Petrenko 1.78
Brian Boitano 1.80
Scott Hamilton 1.60
And we already know Yuzuru is 1.71

Average 1.76mts, and lets said that Scott and Yuzuru "help" put down the average a lot

Instead Japanese figure skationg champions
Daisuki Takahashi 1.65
Takahiko Kozuka 1.70
Nobunari Oda 1.64
Takeshi Honda 1.68
Yamato Tamura 1.74
Yosuke Takeuchi 1.65
Yuzuru Hanyu 1.71
The problem with these stats is that most of the champions have been Russians, who tend to be tall. I don't think it's necessarily an indication that tallness helps figure skating. Russia is a country that values figure skating and invests in it, hence why they have many champions. (Also, Evan is a huge anomaly, just like Scott, and he isn't a good jumper either).

We also have to consider people who won Olympic medals even if not titles. Orser, Chan, Browning, Takahashi, and Stojko were not tall. I don't think their heights had anything to do with not winning OGM. ;)

I do hope Shoma grows to at least 1.60cm. Mainly because I think being taller helps make better lines across the ice, which could help for PCS. :laugh: I'm not sure if it's a deterrent in terms of jumps. Maybe he needs a different jump technique than the tall guys?