Skaters on Team Japan | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skaters on Team Japan

ioanna

Record Breaker
As I've said before, it is now confirmed. TV Asahi will broadcast Fantasy On Ice: Makuhari on June 15th starting from 6 PM to 8:54 PM Japanese time. We will most likely get some professional videos and, who knows, maybe a live stream.

Fantasy On Ice: Makuhari (June 6-7)
Cast: Yuzuru Hanyu, Daisuke Takahashi,Tatsuki Machida, Akiko Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda, Haruka Imai, Stephane Lambiel, Johnny Weir, Javier Fernandez, Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov, Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat

Source

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Thanks for the information demarinis5! Yet another parallelism between Daisuke's and Mao's career: that they will both be not competing this season. There is Yuzuru to carry the torch for Japanese male figure skating (along with Tatsuki and Kozuka), and for the Japanese ladies, I guess the pressure is on Kanako to do well and preserve those Worlds slots. I hope she does the work needed during the off season (not sure whether that will be long enough to fix her jump technique so she won't get those underrotation calls). Anyway, looking far ahead but I for one will be pleased to see her win Japanese nationals this year and have that under her belt before she retires, just like Akiko.

makaihime

Final Flight
So happy that Mao's finally getting her long needed break.

But this makes me really worried for the Japanese ladies...The pressure is ON for Kanako to maintain those 3 spots.
I'm with Maria, I really want to see Kanako get that national title this year because there are up and coming skaters like Satoko Miyahara on her tail and this might be her last chance seeing as she might not even stay till 2018. :cry:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
So happy that Mao's finally getting her long needed break.

But this makes me really worried for the Japanese ladies...The pressure is ON for Kanako to maintain those 3 spots.
I'm with Maria, I really want to see Kanako get that national title this year because there are up and coming skaters like Satoko Miyahara on her tail and this might be her last chance seeing as she might not even stay till 2018. :cry:
Any chances Kanako decide to change coach and go overseas?

makaihime

Final Flight
Any chances Kanako decide to change coach and go overseas?

Unfortunately, no. :no: If she didn't do it when she was up and coming and had a lot of potential she won't do it now considering she was thinking of retiring after the Olympics and just decided to stick around because she was unhappy with her performance and Olympics and Worlds. I don't see her as really aiming for the top, but rather, she's aiming to do her best and go out with a satisfying performance; similar to Akiko

ioanna

Record Breaker
I was expecting Mao to take the year off and I'm glad she will be resting. Now we will be waiting for two announcements next year, hers and Dai's. I think Mao can still aim for Pyeongchang and do well so I'm expecting anything, but Dai will most likely make his retirement official.

Team Japan is going to be so empty without Mao, Dai and Akiko. It's very hard to imagine the nationals in December without them.

mikaboo

Medalist
Daisuke was asked about Mao's decision to take the next season off today in Sapporo. Maybe somebody can translate what he says.

http://youtu.be/5KqXzH5HM0g

I've translated just the section regarding Mao taking a break starting from around 3:45.

Reporter: Yesterday, Mao Asada announced that she is going to take a break. What did you think of this?
Daisuke: Mao and I have spoken about what we should (each) do and I've told her that she should do whatever she thinks is best for her. She feels both frustration about not winning a medal (at Sochi) but also happiness about performing her best. (Before her announcement) I felt that she should take a long break for once to think this through and even if she decided to continue, I was going to advise her to take a year off so I think her decision was good. She should take her time to think about her future without being rushed.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thank you so much mikaboo!

I had a feeling they talked about this issue. They're both feeling frustrated about their result in Sochi but I'm happy Mao managed to win a gold medal at the World Championship.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Personally I think Dai did his best at Sochi despite being injured. His PCS was well-deserved and he shouldn't be frustrated about the placement because so many people were moved by his long program that day.
I hope he won't be too hash on himself and have a long rest.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Most of all he felt like another bronze medal wasn't out of his reach after the SP and he felt frustrated he underrotated and double footed his second triple axel in the long program. With a clean triple axel, he might have had a chance at winning another bronze, as he was 5 points away from it in the end. He said he panicked just before executing it and that led to this result. Personally, I'm surprised he managed to land 2 other clean triple axels in Sochi because no matter how hard he tried as he was training in January, he was unable to land one. He couldn't even land triple axels in practice at Sochi. It is regrettable that another injury prevented him to compete with all his power at the very competition he extended his career for.

There are many other factors contributing to his frustrations, such as his performance at the nationals and taking Takahiko's spot. He felt that the least he could do in Sochi was obtaining a good result, but was again unable to do so. The only wish he managed to fulfill was to not fall - as he's said in the past, he generally feels humiliated when falling, and he didn't want that to happen at the Olympics.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's sad that he couldn't medal but given everything happened that day, Dai outperformed the whole lot. He was the only skater who can move people in that arena without the jumps. I hope he will have time to read all the supportive words people have been sending him.

cdngirl

On the Ice
It's sad that he couldn't medal but given everything happened that day, Dai outperformed the whole lot. He was the only skater who can move people in that arena without the jumps. I hope he will have time to read all the supportive words people have been sending him.

I agree with you Meoima. I was astonished that Daisuke was able to remain upright, given his injury, while the other healthy skaters were falling like dominoes. He won the Gold for me that night as I have never been as moved as I was during his FS in Sochi and I also hope he is aware of how many people he touched on both nights with his phenomenal skating. There will never be another one like him so I hope to see him grace the ice again in the future.