Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Page 4186 - 4194

Worlds Championships

German eurosport guys were over the moon for yuzuru. They're usually a little grumpy and therefore hilarious to listen to, but today they were just in awe:

(after the second half): so, in short, a new world record it will be.
(after 3axel sequence): and here are the 100 points and he still has potential for at least 15 more points
(after his skate): Oh my. Oh what was that. What was that, dear viewers? We became contemporary witnesses of an unbelievable performance of yuzuru hanyu. who doesn't get goosebumps, I don't know. I saw people crying - I understand that (meaning he can relate). I understand that totally, this was well and truly an extraordinary occurrence/ happening and a well and truly extraordinary long program without ifs and buts (meaning: with no doubt).He was a great champion.

- yes, the outsider (referring to his 5th place after the sp) raised the bar and the others, I can assure you, there will be some who'll find this to be a hard nut to crack.

- yes, he didn't - when looking at his presentation, at his music choice - gone crazy like with his prince sp, but he showed an unbelievable technical content, that hasn't been showed before by anyone ever. This certainly will become his new personal best at an lp, 219points were the last record. Whether he'll beat his total combined record score, I don't know, because he lost a lot of points in the short program.

- but a program like this - Joe Hisashi composed this music for the opening olympics 1998 which was in the hometown of Joe Hisashi, who is now leading the new Japan Philharmonic orchestra - an overall Japanese constellation concerning the music choice, the execution, the performance, the presence, the brilliance that shines here in Helsinki. The brilliance of Yuzuru Hanyu.

- who would have thought. you watch (figure skating) since 20 years and every few years we see such things that totally hits you, that enthralls you, seizes you and just pulls you under it's spell. Unbelievable! My god. Ha!

- he showed three different quads - salchow, toe loop and loop. he repeated the salchow. And now he's punishing all those who thought he doesn't have a chance to win gold after yesterdays short. He laid out the bar. This reminds me a little of those fighting cows of saitama (what?!) a few years after the Olympic Games when they did something at last (didn't really understand what they meant and what they were talking about, but they definitely said fighting cows ...)

he leaves the impression that he could skate for another 4 minutes. Everything he showed today was done with an unbelievable ease. That was the most impressive of Yuzuru Hanyu.

yes 223 points. personal best of his life. 219 was the record till now. But the combined record score he doesn't top, because of the short programs.

He's sweating, but there're also a few tears I think.

here's a cute selfie that I think one of the volunteers posted with herself and Yuzu

Finally caught up with the thread. Thank you for all the updates, translations, links etc.:thank:
I have nothing to share now but just want to say congrats to Yuzu and all of you.

I joined this thread almost a year ago when I was really depressed with the things happened in Boston and after that. After SP things reminded me of exactly what I felt at that time and I realized that what made me sad at that time was not his loss or unhappy face but the feeling that his effort was not rewarded. As he said before, effort lies, and he is not the only one who’s working hard and dealing with difficult situations, but seeing his effort remain unrequited was just heartbreaking.
After seeing his FS, I felt so light after a long time. It was like a spell was broken by the FS.
Score-wise, I don’t think his effort was fully rewarded, but he could perform the way he wanted after a long, hard struggle, at the most important event, against all odds. And he has done it with such a personal piece. According to this article,(If there is no translation shared, I can translate it but it will take time) he even considered changing his program music after 4CC, but he didn’t give up and in the end 4S-3T answered and many people who questioned this music choice enjoyed this performance.
I’m so happy now. :)

Thanks to all the people who supported him at the venue! I want to hear what you experienced when you have time or after taking rest!

This was royalty. This was maaaajesty.
- Johnny Weir, NBC

Ah, thank you Johnny, yes, yes it was :luv17:

At the Kiss & Cry:
Tracy: Oh boy, I got a workout!
Brian: Oh, but that was fun to watch.
Tracy: Wasn’t it?
Brian: That was just beautiful.
Yuzuru: Finally. I worked hard [each day?]

Brian: And it all worked.
Tracy: Yes, you did.
Brian: But today you were calmer…
Tracy: Yes.
Brian: Not so intense.
Yuzuru: I don’t know. I was feeling like I don’t have enough energy for…
Brian: Guess what, you did.
Tracy: You always do.

[They laugh.]

Yuzuru: Right.
Brian: Just trust your training, you trained hard.
Yuzuru: Yeah

Brian [jokingly]: 201.

[Scores are announced.]

Tracy: Oh my God!
Yuzuru: I’m not crying!
Brian:[laughs] I am. Almost.
Yuzuru: Almost. I’m not!
Brian: Good boy. Wow.

Bonus:
Yuzuru: But I have to get more 10 points right?
*dead*
x

Oh Yuzu :laugh:

kiches posted the medals ceremony :D

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x...terview-and-men-s-medal-ceremony-part-2_sport

- 4:15 yuzu noticed that boyang's flag was reversed and went to fix it ^_^||
- 5:52 yuzu nicely folded (as always) the national flag before handing it back

^ mom sensibilities hehehe. Mr. Kami-Taiou. Just a really nice kid. I love these sides of him :luv17:

Before I go to bed since some of us actually live quite close to Helsinki a k a the Temporary Yuzuru Time Zone :laugh: Just wanted to share this link I found to the BBC commentary (not my upload): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5gygnj_2017-wc-men-fs-g4-en_sport

Also, don't think anyone here have pointed it out yet but Yuzuru managed to fulfill another one of his goals this season: World Record Free Skate with a Level 4(!) Step Sequence this boy just leaves me speechless :palmf:

another fancam! from higher vantage point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxkBzSqVf4

Some new insights into how he prepared for his competition from this article

Rough translation for the interesting part: he has a very slow digestive system/metabolism so there's more than 1kg of food left in his stomach, making his body feel heavy. They discovered that at GPF FP where he didn't perform well. At 4CC he did the free with an empty stomach and was able to do all four quads with a lighter body. He did so again at Worlds.

I hope they feed him afterwards! When did he get to eat!!??:laugh:

I finally had some free time to watch the SD's and guess who did Yuzu's "mou chotto" move this time? Madison Chock in the K&C :biggrin:

https://icudoucmetoo.tumblr.com/post/159094951618/april-1-2017-isu-2017-world-championships

Not a 100% sure what he is saying really fast but I think he said something along the lines of "Really that score!?"

Revelation! 1st worlds Yuzu has had since 2012 where he was not injured!

These French interviewers are so hilarious. Yuzu was so overwhelmed.

This guy said so you are already a God in Japan. What you are going to be now after this great performance?

and lastly You are like an Alien. (I don't think Yuzu got it though, he was so confused). so fun.. :biggrin:

Yuzu's confused face is so adorable.

I just want to say i am so happy this photo exists. A perfect reminder that 4S3T finally happened and it was beautiful :D

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
Page 4195 - 4200

Worlds Championships

It was a priviledge, as always, to see Yuzu skate in person.

10x more so when he delivers a supreme, flawless, record breaking performance like last night's FS.

My throat was sore from cheering so loudly, I was roaring along with everyone else, after each magnificent quad.

There are just not enough words to describe what we experienced...

Mission accomplished

The crowd went crazy

Kiss and cry

Well-deserved medal

If you guys want commentary in multiple languages. I found a good site here: http://www.fgsk8.com/archives/post-57985.html

Wow, this is an amazing collection! Thanks so much for sharing! :thank:

And looks like there's also one for his SP in the same website :)
http://www.fgsk8.com/archives/post-57284.html

Worlds 2017, Helsinki, Day Four: quad showdown and dance drama by Titanilla Bőd, Absolute Skating
The program of the day: "Hope and Legacy" by Yuzuru Hanyu

It's amazing how sometimes the title of a program, of a music piece, can reflect what's actually happening on the ice. "Hope and legacy", that's what Yuzuru Hanyu could rely on going into the free skate from fifth place. Hope that his talent and brilliance will shine once again, and legacy of what he has already achieved.

He was extremely focused as he took the ice. And the very first jump showed he was "on". Quad loop. Quad Salchow. Triple flip. Quad Salchow-triple toe. Quad toe. Triple Axel-double toe. Triple Axel-triple Salchow. Triple Lutz. This is just the jump layout and it's impressive enough, but Yuzuru's programs are never only about the jumps. It was kind of magic. With 223.20 points he set a new world record free skating score, but numbers can't express the smoothness and flow we witnessed.

Yuzuru finished with a just as focused face as he started. The competition was still open; five more men were yet to skate. But somehow we could sense it would be impossible to top this performance.

Yuzuru celebrated his victory yesterday by studying his short program instead of, you know, celebrating. :palmf:

We didn't even try to get in the line for the medal ceremony :laugh: we just watched it on the screen in the Arena
https://picload.org/image/rcgiwirr/tmp_2073-imag01501614683919.jpg

that pooh landing

http://i.imgur.com/xR2JE1n.jpg

this is the best pic from worlds this yr :laugh:

Here is the latest fan art by runrun8383:
https://twitter.com/runrun8383/status/848486699977981952

How adorable :love:

He got Misha Ge to bow separately! He's just so classy!

ETA: but I HAVE to see what happened then!

Bonnie

Rinkside
So I had another nightmare about Yuzu. In this one, he'd dyed his hair blond. It was horrifying.

Now I can post my terrible nightmare too, hahaha...
I had a bad dream after ladies LP, so maybe Anna shocked me :palmf:

When he started practice at the cave, he sprained his ankle. He fell down all jumps, so he changed the program all to spins lol
I was so closed to his spin, and his blade almost cut my face.
But I didn't move, I was gazing his spin, then he glared at me like Li'Kitsu face avatar...

This is the first time I had a dream about someone :drama:
But the result was completely opposite, so I must have a nightmare at least 3(GPF, OG, WC) in next season :dbana:

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
mmm.... "Hanyu has no transitions" TSL? Lol... but I guess it makes sense, Brian was in New York after all.

"Hanyu has no star power" is still the funniest thing I've ever heard from them. At least with anything technical you need to somewhat know skating basics but with the the former, it just goes to show they're blinded and deafen by their hate for him him and speak from their ***. :whack:

gladiolusc

Medalist
"Hanyu has no star power" is still the funniest thing I've ever heard from them. At least with anything technical you need to somewhat know skating basics but with the the former, it just goes to show they're blinded and deafen by their hate for him him and speak from their ***. :whack:

It's honestly hilarious because Brian had said in the Q&A in that same event that he gets upset when he hears crap by the media, etc, about Javi and Yuzu... and here comes one of the biggest offender interviewing Brian :rofl: but #yuzuruhanyu, of course, each and every single time.

mcq

Record Breaker
Btw GP schedule is out http://www.nbcsports.com/olympic-sports-schedule

IN this order :
COR
SC
CoC
NHK
TdF
SA
-
GPF

This gets tricky :think:

ETA : If NHK is fixed for him, I think getting CoR/SC/SA would not be a bad idea. Since NHK is an awkward middle event, he would have to go back to Canada before going to GPF. TdF and CoC is out of the picture. SC and SA maybe are too close for his liking (he used to like 1 mth gap between GP) and CoR seems like it is the most beneficial for him? He would have 1 mth from CoR to NHK and 1 mth from NHK to GPF.

Last edited:

mcq

Record Breaker
10/22~ COR
10/27~ SC
11/03~ CoC (expecting Boyang, so no Yuzu)
11/10~ NHK
11/17~ TdF
11/25~ SA
-
12/07~ GPF

why tricky?

Because NHK is the middle event, he would have to go back to Canada before GPF, can't stay in japan until GPF. I think CoR would be best for him in this kind of setting. So SC+TDF for Shoma, CoC+SA for Boyang and NHK +CoR for Yuzu and everyone is happy in this kind of setting ;)

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
Because NHK is the middle event, he would have to go back to Canada before GPF, can't stay in japan until GPF. I think CoR would be best for him in this kind of setting. So SC+TDF for Shoma, CoC+SA for Boyang and NHK +CoR for Yuzu and everyone is happy in this kind of setting ;)

Not me 😢

mcq

Record Breaker

Well the other scenario would be if he is not invited to NHK so he get SC+TDF and shoma get NHK+CoR. But I think his team would (and should) lobby for CoR+NHK imo, TdF or SA would be too close to GPF and it would be too much travel in such a short time for him. CoR and NHK is such a nice timing, about 3-4 weeks gap to each competition? And I don't think Russian fed would mind having Yuzuru over Shoma/Boyang :biggrin:

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
Well the other scenario would be if he is not invited to NHK so he get SC+TDF and shoma get NHK+CoR. But I think his team would (and should) lobby for CoR+NHK imo, TdF or SA would be too close to GPF and it would be too much travel in such a short time for him. CoR and NHK is such a nice timing, about 3-4 weeks gap to each competition? And I don't think Russian fed would mind having Yuzuru over Shoma/Boyang :biggrin:

As much as I hate this, yes, it does sound like the best thing for him :(
I really wanted to see him 💔

gladiolusc

Medalist

Ah yeah. But like you said COR, NHK, GPF is actually very nice with some breathing room in between all. Does he get preference or priority in any way? Or not really?

mcq

Record Breaker
As much as I hate this, yes, it does sound like the best thing for him :(
I really wanted to see him 💔

If he goes on to compete, the next GPF and 4CC is in Canada if I am not wrong, so there you have it :biggrin:
Anyway, it does not have to be like that. There is a chance he would pick SC+NHK too, since it is not so much travel for him (and he really want that 4th Skate Canada silver you know :p). Then Shoma get CoR+TDF and boyang get CoC+SA. Everyone will still be happy :laugh:

Ah yeah. But like you said COR, NHK, GPF is actually very nice with some breathing room in between all. Does he get preference or priority in any way? Or not really?

He is allowed to state his preferences first before the 2nd and 3rd seed. But if the fed does not want him then there is not much he can do , I think? Like it is common sense he can''t go to CoC because of host pick. I think SA would love to have Boyang again (so that they can butcher his PCS) over Shoma/Yuzu against Nathan (and I don't think Shoma and Yuzu actually prefer to be there). Last year Javi preferred to go to back-to-back event due to unfortunate circumstances, I believe (maybe US Fed didn't want him and he didn't want to go to SC because of Patrick). So he picked CoR and TdF though it is back-to-back.

Last edited:

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
If he goes on to compete, the next GPF and 4CC is in Canada if I am not wrong, so there you have it :biggrin:
Anyway, it does not have to be like that. There is a chance he would pick SC+NHK too, since it is not so much travel for him (and he really want that 4th Skate Canada silver you know :p). Then Shoma get CoR+TDF and boyang get CoC+SA. Everyone will still be happy :laugh:

Yeah but... Javi is always at CoR and Gabby can't go to SC right? So maybe TCC Will take a trip to Russia 💔
How cruel, after ignoring him for so long, when I finally have a chance to see him, he decides it's time to go and skate in Europe u.u
I feel really sad right now 😂

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just like everyone has completely forgotten about Boyang all season long because there was a new shiny toy and, well :coffee: *points at podium*
Not *everyone*. :yes2: <--- happy smile to hide the fact that I'm still annoyed I didn't place high bets on the men's top three.

And I don't get this obsession with people skating clean. You want a clean skate? I can skate clean. I can barely stand on a skate, but I can probably manage to skate around the ice rink a few times without falling and stumbling after some practice. With the kinds and numbers of jumps these men are doing at the moment, skating clean is like asking for the impossible. With Hanyu's ridiculous everything-in-between-the-jumps program, the fact that he did pull it off in the FS is just mind-boggling. I'm obviously thrilled he pulled it off when it was most necessary, but why people equate skating clean how it always should be is beyond my ability to comprehend. This is a sport, not a ballet performance. They're there to score the most points, not to be perfect in front of the audience. If you *are* perfect, that's the best outcome, but that's not a requirement for winning, and in the end, that's what everybody wants. To win.

And last but not least, Sephiroth! Just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.