Help on Sit Change Sit/Back Sit Spin | Golden Skate

Help on Sit Change Sit/Back Sit Spin

joebrayka

Spectator
So last month, I just passed the ISI Freestyle 5 Test after I got my Axel jump clean and really consistent. Since my coach isn't really always at the rink (due to health problems), no one has been teaching me and giving me advice on the maneuvers that I'm currently learning. I'm having a hard time learning the back sit spin. I can do front sit spins with massive speed in low position but I can't seem to do the back ones. Every time I try to switch my foot, I just simply fall down on my right inside edge (sometimes in right outside edge also). I'm also quite conscious about my body position in doing it because I think it's too high or not really looking that "sit down". Any tips?

FS.Addict

Rinkside
It's hard to tell why you fall without seeing it, but usually in sit spins, if i'm in a basic position (not in a variation), i like to have my upper body forward and my arms too, as if i'm trying to touch my toe pics. It helps to really get your weight right over your blades and gives you more stability, both in the entrance of the spin and in the spin itself, and it will allow you to achieve a lower sit position without falling. And also, be patient in the entrance of the spin. If you try to get into it too soon you're going to loose control.

Hope it helps :) I like coaching spins, but it would be a lot easier if i could see it :p

joebrayka

Spectator
Ohh maybe I fall down all the time because I'm trying to get into it too soon.
Maybe I should also lean my body forward since sometimes my heel is the one that hits the ice.
BTW, I can do shoot-the-ducks with either of my foot that's why I'm quite confident that I will be able to do this spin.

I'm gonna upload a video on YouTube soon and link the video here (if it's allowed to do that in this forum). :)