Record Breaker
its time that he gives his potato throne to someone else, pleaseeeeee :yes:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
its time that he gives his potato throne to someone else, pleaseeeeee :yes:

Yes! He should change back to Mr. Prince! Do Potatoes work like frogs? Maybe he just need a kiss from princess ;)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Yes! He should change back to Mr. Prince! Do Potatoes work like frogs? Maybe he just need a kiss from princess ;)

maybe? but he already has his princess, or maybe he is too attached to being potato, he has "only" 1 potato medal this year though :biggrin:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
maybe? but he already has his princess, or maybe he is too attached to being potato, he has "only" 1 potato medal this year though :biggrin:
True, though it's possible she's Potato princess herself :) But in his place I wouldn't like to be potato too long, someone might convert him to French Fries :drama:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
True, though it's possible she's Potato princess herself :) But in his place I wouldn't like to be potato too long, someone might convert him to French Fries :drama:

i love French Fries :yes:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I''m not sure why you guys talk about potato,:biggrin: but it is good to know from the interview that he wants to compete at least up to the 2018 Olympics.

I worried about whether he considers to retire because he has a series of unfortunate outcomes far this season so.....

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I''m not sure what you guys talk about potato,:biggrin: but it is good to know from the interview that he wants to compete at least up to the 2018 Olympics.

I worried about whether he considers to retire because he has a series of unfortunate outcomes far this season so.....
Well, they call 4th place a "Potato Medal " (no idea how it started :biggrin:) and he has plenty of 4th place results thats why he is The Potato King :laugh:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Well, they call 4th place a "Potato Medal " (no idea how it started :biggrin:) and he has plenty of 4th place results thats why he is The Potato King :laugh:

Funny. :laugh: He has a sense of humor but raw potato can be heavy and bulky for his neck, so a fried chip of potato is good enough.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Funny. :laugh: He has a sense of humor but raw potato can be heavy and bulky for his neck, so a fried chip of potato is good enough.

I am not sure but its not him who found that name :think: who knows the history of it? :biggrin:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I am not sure but its not him who found that name :think: who knows the history of it? :biggrin:

No idea, but fourth finishers at US Nationals are called pewter medalists and get on the podium along with their competitors in top 3.

janav

On the Ice
Czechs indeed call 4th place finish a 'potato finish'. Linguistically, I'd love to know how that came to be :laugh:
I really hope he'll have a strong showing at Europeans. Bratislava is not far drive for his Czech fans, so hopefully he'll make them proud. And I'm gonna swoon over him, as usual :luv17:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Czechs indeed call 4th place finish a 'potato finish'. Linguistically, I'd love to know how that came to be :laugh:
I really hope he'll have a strong showing at Europeans. Bratislava is not far drive for his Czech fans, so hopefully he'll make them proud. And I'm gonna swoon over him, as usual :luv17:

wow, it all started to make sense, and while i was searching i came across to this article, i knew i read about it somewhere but i couldnt remember until you mentioned :laugh: related part

Potato medal

There is a special expression in Czech: "bramborová medaile", meaning potato medal, for the one who finishes just off the podium. Michal Brezina must be fed up with potatoes by now. He was fourth at the 2010 Europeans, he was fourth at the 2010 and 2011 Worlds, and now he was fourth again in Sheffield. "If I had landed at least one of my quads, I would have a medal now. But what can I do?" he commented on his placement. As for his performance, he was satisfied with it, although he fell on the quad toe loop and doubled the planned quad Salchow: "After missing the quad I just remembered what my coach always tells me: go step by step and concentrate on the jumps and moves ahead of you. After this competition I will get a week off and then go back to practicing to improve my jumps."
:biggrin:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
wow, it all started to make sense, and while i was searching i came across to this article, i knew i read about it somewhere but i couldnt remember until you mentioned :laugh: related part

:biggrin:

You know what? I tried to find why Czechs associate potato with fourth finishers but no use for me since I have no idea how to call "potato finish" in the language. The phrase named "bramborové Finis" (potato finish) doesn't seem to exist. The only thing I could do for the attempt was to use google translator such as "čtvrté místo" (fourth place) and "brambor" (potato). Thank you for introducing the article.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
so did some more digging (not much though:biggrin:) and seems like it originated from beach volleyballer Natalie Cook, she said that "finishing 4th was like winning a Potato medal" when interviewed by Roy and HG. and comments below by same user says "Cook's comment was along the lines that finishing 4th is worth about the same as what a potato is." , too lazy to dig more :slink:

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Still it is fun and is getting to know a little bit of the culture in which Michal has grown. :)

All the best wishes for Michal at Euros.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I might just end up sending a query to the Czech Language Institute, because now I'm curious. I've googled for 'origins of the term potato medal', and only found one link on the meaning of the term. I didn't find the answer likely or satisfactory (something about potatoes having been rare once upon a time). What I did find was links to two articles about Michal on the first three result pages. He's famous for it, lol. :p

I have no idea how to call "potato finish" in the language. The phrase named "bramborové Finis" (potato finish) doesn't seem to exist.

The word for 'finish' in this sense would be 'místo' (lit. 'place') or 'umístění' (lit. 'placement').

Oh, and I'm hoping for a nice finish by Michal in Bratislava, but am not expecting too much frankly. He's talented, but at the big championships, he's been a bundle of nerves for years. ;) I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing him live at Europeans next season though.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love the 'potato talk' goin' on :biggrin: I didn't know it was Czech saying!