Aljona Savchenko & Bruno Massot | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Aljona Savchenko & Bruno Massot

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aljona just published a lovely series of Instagram stories to announce that her little girl Amilia was born on 7 September!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was interesting to see how Aljona ticks and how she changed throughout the career. They said she hated the two bronzes and put them out of sight, but after getting the Gold she got them out and displayed in her living room, because she finally accepted them as a part of her life & career. She's a very focused athlete.

Most interesting to me was what Robin had to say - he was always the odd one out, always the one at fault if things didn't go as planned, whether it was true or imagined...there was zero communication between the team. I really felt for him, he didn't have it easy. I hope he finds joy as a trainer in the US. And success!

I came here to see if the news was about the baby. Congratulations to Aljona and Liam! :hap57:

And then ... belatedly, I wanted to respond to the above. I'm also happy for Robin. The fact that he was so firm in his decision to retire after Sochi/worlds meant that Aljona was freed to find a partner, Bruno Massot, new coaches and a happy living environment ... all so that her on-ice personality and her very disciplined (if not to say rigid) character off-ice were both able to be softened up, and what had perhaps been latent in her was freed. And she met Liam.

Those changes, to me, made all the difference in her skating, while the habit of discipline, all that passion and desire remained. I thought her connection and chemistry with Bruno were way better.

Been wanting to say this somewhere! :love:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Congratulations Aljona and Liam! And a lovely name, Amilia, for this little person who will undoubtedly be the pride of her parents. And like an earlier poster, I'm happy for Robin (whose wife is also expecting) too, as well as for Bruno (lovely little boy a year ago and a marriage to his long loved girlfriend a few months ago).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Surprised to see nobody's mentioned Aljona's wish to return on here. I for one would be really pleased about that happening.

ragdoll

On the Ice
I would love to see her return but I don’t think Bruno wants to. But I hope she is persuasive enough to lure him back. Aljona will be 36 today so many happy returns to her!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Monday morning paper....

Translation of the Aljona/Bruno part.

FigureSkatingII
Sachenko/Massot are open to a comeback

Hamburg. Pairs Olympic Champions Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot are seriously considering a comeback to the competition-ice. "I didn't know, how it would feel at all, five months after giving birth to my daughter, but it's working much better than I thought," the 36year old said on Sunday. The last show the ex-world champions skated together was 11 months ago. "We are open for everything and could become even better", the Oberstdorf-resident-by-choice emphasized.

Even the paper uses the word 'seriously' in a baffled kind of way, haha.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I have just become a fan of Savchenko/Massot recently, and have been catching up on some things. Is it just me or why does everyone seem to be 'against' Savchenko?
I know Volosozhar had a fall out with savchenko and they are not friends anymore, what happened there?
And szolkowy as well, I think it was after worlds 2014 and he refused to skate with Aljona in ice shows when he could be receiving a handsome 40,000 worth of money, why did he just fly home straight away?
And now szolkowy is coach to Russian pairs, it seems like subtle 'back stabbing' at Aljona. It’s probably not intentional but there's still so much drama.

I know this is quite old but I just finished reading the book that journalist Alexandra Ilina wrote about Aljona.
This is all Aljona POV, so take it with a grain of salt. According to Aljona, she and Tatjana were never friends. In her opinion there is no such thing as friendship when you're rivals on the ice. It's actually repeated twice in the book. Also the fact that her first partner from the Ukraine, Stas, told Aljona that she must retire now, when Tajana decided to start with Maxim Trankov for Russia - that she has no chance.
Robin did not refuse, Aljona wanted to continue in competitions, he didn't. She said she could never find the joy in show skating, she needs the competition. She already searched for a new partner before, and knew she wouldn't be able to skate shows with Robin. The thing is she did not tell him, and she admits that was wrong.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing this team (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I can't help it. I follow Aljona around on various media, so here's another interview.

Thank you - the article is interesting - I'd love to see a documentary film made about her.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Aljona and Bruno also posted a triple twist lift on facebook for 'the first time after a year'. Looked really good for a first effort! As high as ever.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Tonight I watched the St. Valentine's Gala in Italy, and Aljona and Bruno were there. They had a beautiful new show programme about still loving each other after ageing, and a less new programme to 'Ýou're beautiful'. Regrettably the link no longer works, but if I find it again, I'll put it up someplace on the forum!