Ice Skates are too big, what to do until I get new ones? | Golden Skate

Ice Skates are too big, what to do until I get new ones?

TheSnowQueen2013

Rinkside
Hi all,

My skates are too big and I need a new pair as my ankle support in them is horrible. That won't be for a little while though, as good ones are expensive and money is tight right now. Any ideas as to temporarily helping my ankles? I can't do anything nearly on the ice, like jumps, because my ankles are so darn wobbily. I am only a size over I think, so what's the best thing to do at the moment? Thanks in advance.

I can't give you advice about skates, but I can welcome you to the forum! Thanks for joining us. Post often, post long! :rock:

concorde

Medalist
How about asking around you rink to see if anyone has a pair of used ones that would work.

I want to caution you that if you get boots that have too much ankle support, this can also lead to problems. You need to talk with a pro before you purchase a pair of any boots.

TheSnowQueen2013

Rinkside
I never knew that. Thanks @concorde! My coach knew someone with a size six (I wanted to try one out to see if 5 1/2 was too small) but the pair was already given to someone else. I'll keep looking :)

concorde

Medalist
Yeah - it called "overbooting."

I found the following follow-up information on an old ice skating blog:
"Overbooting" is when a skater wears a boot that is too stiff. The skater may never break the boots in, or the skater may develop injuries.
"Overblading" is when a skater wears a blade that is too advanced. The larger toepick takes a long time to master without tripping. A deep hollow and profile intended for triples can keep the skater from controlling even simple turns and spins.