Juniors moving up to to Senior Grand Prix in 2014-15 | Golden Skate

Juniors moving up to to Senior Grand Prix in 2014-15

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
In the 2014-15 Grand Prix predictions thread I asked this question about the US ladies. Let's discuss it more broadly, which skaters will be moving up from JGP to Senior Grand Prix for the 2014-15 season?

Also, if anyone can clarify the parameters for moving up, that would be great. I know you have to meet the appropriate age limit but which other thresholds do you have to pass to move up?

RABID

Final Flight
In the 2014-15 Grand Prix predictions thread I asked this question about the US ladies. Let's discuss it more broadly, which skaters will be moving up from JGP to Senior Grand Prix for the 2014-15 season?

Also, if anyone can clarify the parameters for moving up, that would be great. I know you have to meet the appropriate age limit but which other thresholds do you have to pass to move up?

Karen Chen is 15 this summer. I expect she will be healthy come October. It will be interesting how the judges will receive her. I think the Americans haven't the depth of the Russians but they are looking better than they have for a few years now. Wish I could say the same thing about the Canadians. C'mon Kaitlyn!

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Karen Chen is 15 this summer. I expect she will be healthy come October. It will be interesting how the judges will receive her. I think the Americans haven't the depth of the Russians but they are looking better than they have for a few years now. Wish I could say the same thing about the Canadians. C'mon Kaitlyn!

She turns 15 after July 1, meaning she has to stay in juniors for the '14-'15 season

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I think these skaters:
Polinda Edmunds, Rika Hongo in ladies
I'm not so sure about any of these boys, but maybe Pitkeev, Boyang Jin or Nam Nquyen
Yu/Jin in pairs

jimeonji

Final Flight
Satoko Miyahara, maybe? She was barely kept off the podium at Junior Worlds by the Russian girls and she competed on the senior GP last season already. (or is this thread for skaters that have never competed on the senior GP?)
I think these skaters:
I'm not so sure about any of these boys, but maybe Pitkeev, Boyang Jin or Nam Nquyen
Yu/Jin in pairs
Nam might have pressure to move up because of Patrick taking off the GP. He landed an almost fully rotated quad sal last week (he took it off his instagram for some reason).
Keiji Tanaka has outgrown juniors, but is there a spot for him?
I'd love to see Pitkeev in seniors. Quite frankly, I prefer him over Kovtun.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think these skaters:
Yu/Jin in pairs
When I read her name, I thought "There is no room for Rika in Senior GP for sure!", but I then realised that behind Kanako, Satoko and Haruka she'll be the best Japanese girl left, so she'll probably receive at least 1 GP (and for a skater who barely won one JGP Bronze last year, it is quite a change)! :eek:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
When I read her name, I thought "There is no room for Rika in Senior GP for sure!", but I then realised that behind Kanako, Satoko and Haruka she'll be the best Japanese girl left, so she'll probably receive at least 1 GP (and for a skater who barely won one JGP Bronze last year, it is quite a change)! :eek:

If Mao competed in 2014/2015 GP Rika probably wouldn't get her place, but Mao won't be there next season. So I think Satoko, Kanako, Haruka and Rika will get a spots.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I wasn't counting Radionova and Miyahara since they moved up to Senior Grand Prix last year.

Moving up for sure:
-Polina Edmunds (seeded)

Very likely moving up:
-Gabrielle Daleman (Went to Olympics and Worlds)
-Rika Hongo (for reasons stated in this thread, apparent Japanese #4 woman)
-Alaine Chartrand (went to 4CC)

Eligible to move up but will they?
-Lutricia Bock
-a number of US ladies (see below)
-a couple of Japanese women
-others?

Not moving up (won't be 15 by July 1):
-Karen Chen (she really just misses the deadline... birthday in mid-August)
-Evgenia Medvedeva
-Maria Sotskova
-Alexandra Proklova (I noticed Alexandra and Maria S are just a week apart in age!!)
-Elizabet Turzynbaeva
-Amber Glenn

Once I looked up the ages, I realized fewer are eligible to move up than I thought. I thought there would be a huge wave of Russian women, but it looks like most of those young women have another year before they can move up. Man, 2015-16 will be crazy, though.

I am also curious about the big group of Americans who are older than the most top-level competitive Juniors who've been skating on the JGP. I guess some of these may retire without ever hitting the Senior Grand Prix? When does a skater reach that do or die point with getting into the Senior Grand Prix? I'm thinking of Angela Wang, Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Leah Keiser, Mariah Bell, Barbie Long, those types. (I'm most familiar with the US, but probably there are others like this from other countries, perhaps Miyabi Oba, for example). How do they know when it's time to switch? What kind of benchmarks do they have to meet to switch? I know there are some, but I get unclear on what those are.

jace93

On the Ice
In men surely Hino and Tanaka, but I doubt they will'have any GP assignment... maybe Uno(he participated as a senior in Gardenia spring trophy) and Nguyen too, but I doubt it...

NMURA

Medalist
Keiji Tanaka will surely get a NHK spot. Hino has no chance. Maybe they "advise" him to do pairs.

jkun

Final Flight
She'll automatically get 2 because of finishing 9th at Worlds ;)

Not to really hijack the thread.. but do you think she will not need to worry about growth as she trains in the future? She seems to already have a more womanly figure as compared to some youngins .