13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating

BusyMom

Medalist
Guilty. Although, I'm starting to wonder why since most of my comments recently have been totally ignored...

(And it really hurts, especially when I had put so much thought and consideration into some in particular).

CaroLiza_fan
Don't be. Your posts are always informative. I for one love your insight. :bow:

We've been waiting for your help in the British Actors/Actresses thread for you to clarify the confusing topic of the GB and Irish. If you have time stop by please. :eek::

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Don't be. Your posts are always informative. I for one love your insight. :bow:

We've been waiting for your help in the British Actors/Actresses thread for you to clarify the confusing topic of the GB and Irish. If you have time stop by please. :eek::

Aww! Thank you for those reasurring words! They mean a lot.

I'm sorry. Apart from our conversations about snooker in the football thread, I haven't visited Le Cafe for ages!

I'll have a wee peek at the acting thread now, and see if there is anything I can add. (Although I doubt there will be much, since I can never remember who people are when I am watching films! :laugh:)

CaroLiza_fan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Marlie???!!! Eugh!!!! I hate running names into each other! I still insist on calling Jedward by their original stage name of "John and Edward".

As for the abbreviations, I prefer it when they are not used. I know it's handier for the person typing the comment, but it can sometimes take a long time for the reader (i.e. me!) to work out who you are talking about.

And it is going to be especially hard now, after there has been so much chopping and changing of partners...
I hear you on all that! I don't like the running names together thing either. I only wrote it down because I have seen it. My preferred format is X&Y. And if we're discussing pre-90s pairs/ice dance, I know very few teams to begin with. I will skip over posts if I can't figure out the abbreviations. Also, too many splits to keep track of. It's the year after the Olympics and I guess it always happens, but it seems there were more splits/changes than usual after last season.

June?! I was wondering in April!!! :laugh:
:laugh: I just picked June because that's the month we're in right now. Essentially, right after Worlds I start thinking about next season.

Not guilty. Can't be bothered having Google translate them badly from Russian into English...
In my case, the skaters I do this with speak English quite well, so I don't need to worry about Google Translate. From my limited experience with it, it's not that great anyway.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I posted a long list earlier today, but here's another one I'm guilty of:

I associate music with figure skating programs to the point that when I hear a piece in another context, I'll be picturing the applicable program(s) in my mind as I'm listening. Or I think to myself, "I first heard this piece because of watching figure skating." My appreciation of music was greatly enhanced by how devotedly I watched figure skating. When I saw how skaters (some at least) moved and told a story with their programs and how the music was part of that, I was hooked. Various pieces of music create certain moods and it's fascinating.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I associate music with figure skating programs to the point that when I hear a piece in another context, I'll be picturing the applicable program(s) in my mind as I'm listening. Or I think to myself, "I first heard this piece because of watching figure skating." My appreciation of music was greatly enhanced by how devotedly I watched figure skating. When I saw how skaters (some at least) moved and told a story with their programs and how the music was part of that, I was hooked. Various pieces of music create certain moods and it's fascinating.

I've also been exposed to a lot of great music through figure skating. I didn't have as much exposure to classical, jazz or experimental music growing up (we were a suburban ethnic immigrant family without much appreciation for a lot of the finer points of Western art), so figure skating provided a way to hear pieces, and find their musicality. I didn't understand "Blues for Klook" until I saw U/Z do it at 93 worlds, and recognized it when Dai did it in 2011/12. You're absolutely right about picturing it in certain contexts. Thanks for sharing your experience!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've also been exposed to a lot of great music through figure skating. I didn't have as much exposure to classical, jazz or experimental music growing up (we were a suburban ethnic immigrant family without much appreciation for a lot of the finer points of Western art), so figure skating provided a way to hear pieces, and find their musicality. I didn't understand "Blues for Klook" until I saw U/Z do it at 93 worlds, and recognized it when Dai did it in 2011/12. You're absolutely right about picturing it in certain contexts. Thanks for sharing your experience!
An example for me is Mahler's 5th Symphony. I loved V&M's 2010 FD to it. Then, a couple of years later, I watched Katia Gordeeva's tribute skate to Sergei and thought, "Wait, this music sounds familiar, where have I heard it before?" When I made the connection, I watched it again, this time picturing V&M's romantic program while Katia skated. Talk about a wave of emotions. To realize she was skating to this romantic piece of music but without her beloved husband Sergei was just...wow. I'd watched Katia's tribute skate before, but not with the added context of having seen a couple skate to it also. It gave me a whole new perspective on how brave Katia had to be that night. Both programs are magical, two of Marina's best ever. I do wonder if she consciously "saved" the music for V&M after Katia skated to it.

Katia's Mahler

V&M's Mahler

anyanka

Record Breaker
An example for me is Mahler's 5th Symphony. I loved V&M's 2010 FD to it. Then, a couple of years later, I watched Katia Gordeeva's tribute skate to Sergei and thought, "Wait, this music sounds familiar, where have I heard it before?" When I made the connection, I watched it again, this time picturing V&M's romantic program while Katia skated. Talk about a wave of emotions. To realize she was skating to this romantic piece of music but without her beloved husband Sergei was just...wow. I'd watched Katia's tribute skate before, but not with the added context of seeing having seen a couple skate to it also. It gave me a whole new perspective on how brave Katia had to be that night. Both programs are magical, two of Marina's best ever. I do wonder if she was "saving" the music for V&M after Katia skated to it.

Katia's Mahler

V&M's Mahler

Both versions have reduced me to heaps of sobs in front of my laptop! I love how each treatment of the Adagietto was so different, yet each worked.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I posted a long list earlier today, but here's another one I'm guilty of:

Not sure if you meant the "guilt" thing seriously. If you did, no guilt needed!

As a musician, your post delighted me. It doesn't matter how one comes to love music -- only that you get there. For me, one of the special pleasures of figure skating (and dance) is seeing a piece take shape in 3D, so to speak. I love seeing how choreographers treat pieces I grew up with and watching skaters and dancers bring them to life.

One of the best examples is Virtue/Moir's exquisite Mahler program from 2010. Watching them, my jaw hit the floor -- never in a million years would I have thought of that music for ice dance, but wow! Same for Carolina's 2014 "Ave Maria." I've never liked the piece very much but Carolina made me hear it in a different way. Now it will always remind me of her lovely skating in Sochi.

Then there was the Shibs' Michael Jackson program this year. MJ doesn't exactly float my boat either (to say the least) but the Shibs made it work for me. Anything that can actually make me listen to MJ, even for a few minutes in a skating program, is nothing short of a miracle! :laugh:

It's great that we all love skating for so many reasons and bring so many different perspectives to it. Which is just one of the special pleasures of GS. :yay: All the best!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not trying to spam the thread, but here's another one:

You remember the names of figure skating coaches (at least the high-profile ones) and recognize them when they're sitting in the kiss and cry. You participate in discussions about "Who is the best coach for Skater X." (I typically don't weigh in on such discussions, but I do recognize some of the coaches).

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not sure if you meant the "guilt" thing seriously. If you did, no guilt needed!

As a musician, your post delighted me. It doesn't matter how one comes to love music -- only that you get there. For me, one of the special pleasures of figure skating (and dance) is seeing a piece take shape in 3D, so to speak. I love seeing how choreographers treat pieces I grew up with and watching skaters and dancers bring them to life.

One of the best examples is Virtue/Moir's exquisite Mahler program from 2010. Watching them, my jaw hit the floor -- never in a million years would I have thought of that music for ice dance, but wow! Same for Carolina's 2014 "Ave Maria." I've never liked the piece very much but Carolina made me hear it in a different way. Now it will always remind me of her lovely skating in Sochi.

Then there was the Shibs' Michael Jackson program this year. MJ doesn't exactly float my boat either (to say the least) but the Shibs made it work for me. Anything that can actually make me listen to MJ, even for a few minutes in a skating program, is nothing short of a miracle! :laugh:

It's great that we all love skating for so many reasons and bring so many different perspectives to it. Which is just one of the special pleasures of GS. :yay: All the best!
Great post! No, I wasn't being serious about the guilt thing; in fact, it's a "guilt" that I feel very fortunate to have. :laugh: Music and skating are great on their own but you put them together and it can be pure magic. I feel strongly also about both of Patrick's Four Seasons programs. With his footwork and transitions and smooth skating, Patrick helped me hear Four Seasons in a new way.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Not trying to spam the thread, but here's another one:

You remember the names of figure skating coaches (at least the high-profile ones) and recognize them when they're sitting in the kiss and cry. You participate in discussions about "Who is the best coach for Skater X." (I typically don't weigh in on such discussions, but I do recognize some of the coaches).

Yes. At the Sochi World exhibit in Vancouver back in 2010, I actually recognized the cardboard cut outs of Tarasova and Rodnina clutching Cheburshka dolls, and made my friends question my sanity because I knew who the coaches were! Then I put them on a wild goose chase around the building looking for Moskvina.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*You refer to skaters by first name or last name only (it was rather annoying during Sochi to go back to saying (with non-handcare fans) "the skater from Canada" or "the Japanese guy" when I'd gotten so used to referring to them as "Patrick" and "Yuzuru" here; just one example of many)

Joshua, Jason, Max, Artur - yep.

*You know what most of the abbreviations for ice dance/pairs teams are (D&W or D/W or Marlie, V&M or V/M or Voir, etc)

Nope and I think those "name smash" things like Marlie or Voir are really dumb

*You don't mind reading protocols after competitions and have figured out what everything means and now use that shorthand for jumps when posting on GS

Yep :)

*You know various other skating acronyms (for competitions, scoring, etc)

Yep :)

*You wonder, "What is Skater X up to now" and go to GS to find out, because you care deeply about what certain skaters have been up to since they retired

Sometimes

*You are wondering in June what Skaters X, Y, and Z will skate to next season and what their new programs will be like

Depends on the skater and their current programs. For example, Josh had barely finished his LP at Nationals and I was bawling at my computer for him to please keep it for next year. On the other hand, I've been looking forward to Max's new long program since oh, about...September...

*You read/watch every interview you can with your favorite skaters

Always!

*You rewatch old skating programs on YouTube or VHS tapes (yes, I still have a large skating collection of VHS tapes that I recorded from TV)

All the time :laugh:

More:

- You aren't even in the same room as the TV and you recognise the movie by the soundtrack (did this with Man in the Iron Mask one night to my parents' astonishment)
- You can't watch a movie now without thinking, "Wow, Skater X should skate to this!"
- You start mentally coming up with programs in your head every time you hear a new piece of music

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More:

- You aren't even in the same room as the TV and you recognise the movie by the soundtrack (did this with Man in the Iron Mask one night to my parents' astonishment)
- You can't watch a movie now without thinking, "Wow, Skater X should skate to this!

Oh, yeah! All the time! :biggrin: