Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Since there is no difference in assignments, it shouldn't be too hard to climb your way back to the main team if you skate well, I assume?

Huh, Menshov has never been to Worlds? I didn't even realize that! Rooting for him to make the team then! Two spots... he'll probably be fighting Voronov and Pitkeev for it (Kovtun likely gets the other spot, Artur likely won't get sent, Plush likely isn't going to compete next season... but with the men's field, you never know. Maybe they'll end up sending the two 30-year-olds to Worlds :laugh: Then we'll get someone trash-talking 'geriatric Russia' :popcorn:). All in good fun, no offence intended.

Btw, what's going on with Artur Dmitriev Jr.? What are his chances going forward?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Since there is no difference in assignments, it shouldn't be too hard to climb your way back to the main team if you skate well, I assume? Huh, Menshov has never been to Worlds? I didn't even realize that! Rooting for him to make the team then! Two spots... he'll probably be fighting Voronov and Pitkeev for it (Kovtun likely gets the other spot, Artur likely won't get sent, Plush likely isn't going to compete next season... but with the men's field, you never know. Maybe they'll end up sending the two 30-year-olds to Worlds :laugh: Then we'll get someone trash-talking 'geriatric Russia' :popcorn:). All in good fun, no offence intended. Btw, what's going on with Artur Dmitriev Jr.? What are his chances going forward?

Just curious- doesn't Russia have 3 spots for Worlds since Kovtun finished 4th?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
No, I think they qualify for two spots next year. Kovtun would've needed to place in the top 2 to earn 3 spots.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Just curious- doesn't Russia have 3 spots for Worlds since Kovtun finished 4th?
I think it will be Kovtun and Voronov or Menshov, maybe Gachinski instead of Voronov/Menshov if he finally manages to stay on his feet throughout a couple of programs and Tarasova does what she can for him, but Plushenko won't probably compete seriously anymore and Pikteek can't be competitive without quads...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think it will be Kovtun and Voronov or Menshov, maybe Gachinski instead of Voronov/Menshov if he finally manages to stay on his feet throughout a couple of programs and Tarasova does what she can for him, but Plushenko won't probably compete seriously anymore and Pikteek can't be competitive without quads...
I'm not certain. As in, yes, he won't be a medal contender without quads. But that doesn't automatically mean they won't send him. If he skates super consistently over the next year while Menshov and Voronov do the exact opposite, they might send him to get three spots back instead of risking a 2012-style bomb. (Jason Brown got a top 10 Olympics finish without a quad, and he wasn't even pristine clean!)

DianaSelene

Medalist
Well, I do not know whether Pitkeev will have a quad this upcoming season and if he does if it will be consistent. However, I did read a few weeks ago that he is working on it so that shows Tutberidze definitely understands that she needs to teach him the quad in order for him to be successful on the senior stage next year. I would not be too surprised to see him trying it in competition next year.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
No, I think they qualify for two spots next year. Kovtun would've needed to place in the top 2 to earn 3 spots. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm a bit dusty on my qualifying rules. I thought he would have to place top 13 or is that only if multiple skaters from the same country compete?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm a bit dusty on my qualifying rules. I thought he would have to place top 13 or is that only if multiple skaters from the same country compete?

If it is one entry, they must place top 10 to get two spots. They must place top 2 to get 3.

If a country has two entries, they have to place in the top 13 in combined placements to get three spots. (example: 3rd and 10th, 6th and 7th, etc). They need to place like 26 or something else really high in combined placements to keep the two spots.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
If it is one entry, they must place top 10 to get two spots. They must place top 2 to get 3. If a country has two entries, they have to place in the top 13 in combined placements to get three spots. (example: 3rd and 10th, 6th and 7th, etc). They need to place like 26 or something else really high in combined placements to keep the two spots.

Thanks! I always think the 13 applies to everyone. I don't know why.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
You're fine! I've only known this stuff for a few years myself and basically learned it because of the Mirai / Rachael debacle :slink:

Me too. It was never an issue until Michelle and Sasha exited. Prior to that there was at least one American skater on the podium every year for more than a decade. I didn't even know the rule existed to be honest. :slink:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Me too. It was never an issue until Michelle and Sasha exited. Prior to that there was at least one American skater on the podium every year for more than a decade. I didn't even know the rule existed to be honest. :slink:

Lol that is pretty much why I don't know it either. It is crazy to think that MK won 9 straight World Championship medals....

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
If it is one entry, they must place top 10 to get two spots. They must place top 2 to get 3.

If a country has two entries, they have to place in the top 13 in combined placements to get three spots. (example: 3rd and 10th, 6th and 7th, etc). They need to place like 26 or something else really high in combined placements to keep the two spots.

And the placements come with a rule that qualifying for the FS but placing 17th or lower overall will still get a maximum of 16 placement points, while skaters not qualifying to the FS will get 18 points.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A Menshov/Gachinski Team Russia would make me so happy. :) (Not least because it would mean Artur is skating well again.)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

It will have to be Kovtun and another guy, unless Kovtun does awfully. There's no ignoring the fact that he came 4th, and he's a big reason Russia has 2 spots at Worlds, when it's likely but not absolutely guaranteed that Menshov/Voronov would have placed top 10.

I have a soft spot for Menshov and am really glad he got his Euro bronze. I'd also like Voronov to get more opportunities (IMO, he was screwed out of an Olympic team medal by Plushenko). Pitkeev's time will take a while. I don't think he'll get his quads as quickly as Kovtun did (essentially half a season to put in 2 quad toes, and one season later a 4S and programs with 3 quad attempts). Menshov can also easily do 4S in practice, so I'd love to see him bust out 3 quad programs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It will have to be Kovtun and another guy, unless Kovtun does awfully.

And even if Kovtun does do awfully they'll probably STILL put him on the team.

Besides, why does it HAVE to be Kovtun? What if he has a terrible season, his hideous jump technique comes back to bite him in the as$, and he finishes fifth at Nationals again?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^^Credit to Kovtun for getting fourth place, because yes, we don't know for sure Voronov/Menshov would've placed top 10. But we also don't know for sure if Russia will have Team gold had Voronov skated at the Olympics. The Russian Federation screwed him over, if you're going to use those terms. Not Plushenko.

Kovtun landed one quad at Worlds LP. Quads attempted =/= quads landed. I'd rather Pitkeev skates some solid, consistent programs than if he runs around attempting a million quads, because the latter probably won't work out for him (if it does, bye bye Kovtun, Gachinski, Voronov, Menshov, Plushenko, everybody. :laugh: Darn it, the Kovtun-Gachinski drama would've been over before it started).

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Oh no... Y/M are one more year on junior level. I really hoped that they would change their mind after I/K catastrophe.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Oh no... Y/M are one more year on junior level. I really hoped that they would change their mind after I/K catastrophe.

Maybe Y/M want to win the Junior Worlds, but i don't really think they need it. With this splits, Y/M could have a great chance to show themselves as a senior team. And in next season who knows how it will be and how strong will be the new pairs. I think they miss their real chance.