Philadelphia Summer Championships 2014 - Liberty | Golden Skate

Philadelphia Summer Championships 2014 - Liberty

Victura

On the Ice
Has there been any information on who might be registered for this competition?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Samantha Cesario usually does it I believe since it's close. Ross Miner's done it in the past as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A lot of Canadian skaters did it last year, including Veronik Mallet, who with Ashley Cain, were the pleasant surprises of the event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Official event website, BTW:
http://iceworkssc.org/liberty/
(But entries are not listed there, AFAIK. And lest anyone wonder: although Liberty still appears in the URL, the site has information for the 2014 event.)​

Samantha Cesario usually does it I believe since it's close. Ross Miner's done it in the past as well.

A lot of Canadian skaters did it last year, including Veronik Mallet, who with Ashley Cain, were the pleasant surprises of the event.

Some of the senior names apparently on this year's roster (although I do not claim to know for sure):

- Cain, Chiera, Mallet, Siraj, Shelepen ... (Maybe no Cesario this year??)

- Miner, Savary, Ma ...​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, Ashley Cain is sure being active this summer. It's great she's getting so much mileage on her programs....

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Wow, Ashley Cain is sure being active this summer. It's great she's getting so much mileage on her programs....
Yes, and I hope she'll be able to bring it to the GP, and that she won't do like Chen or Nguyen last year who were skating clean programs in their summer competitions and then almost bombed in the JGP (Chen skated well but miles and miles behind her summer skates; Nguyen completely bombed)... Most of all, she needs to prove to the USFSA that she is the right choice for that SA spot if she wants it, and the only way to do it is competing and presenting consistent outings, because the battle will be between her and Cesario, who both have one assignement so far... It would be great to see them facing each other here, it would become a kind of "SA selection" competition! :popcorn:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, and I hope she'll be able to bring it to the GP, and that she won't do like Chen or Nguyen last year who were skating clean programs in their summer competitions and then almost bombed in the JGP (Chen skated well but miles and miles behind her summer skates; Nguyen completely bombed)... Most of all, she needs to prove to the USFSA that she is the right choice for that SA spot if she wants it, and the only way to do it is competing and presenting consistent outings, because the battle will be between her and Cesario, who both have one assignement so far... It would be great to see them facing each other here, it would become a kind of "SA selection" competition! :popcorn:

To be fair, Karen dealt with injuries later in the season, hence her poor performances at Nationals/ Jr. Worlds. She actually had a pretty strong JGP season, making the final.

Nguyen, as in Nam Nguyen?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm surprised that Siraj is listed. I thought she was going off to school, and leaving competitive skating?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm surprised that Siraj is listed. I thought she was going off to school, and leaving competitive skating?

As far as I know, I think she was planning on continuing since she'll be at Harvard and can stay at SCOB.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
To be fair, Karen dealt with injuries later in the season, hence her poor performances at Nationals/ Jr. Worlds. She actually had a pretty strong JGP season, making the final.

Nguyen, as in Nam Nguyen?
Yes, I was talking about Nam: I remember watching a video during the summer where he skated a clean FS with two 3As and then I was really sad when he placed only 4th and 16th in his JGP events, where he could have easily been on the podium :cry: Karen had a good JGP season, but she never really skated as she could except for the SP in the second event... Then injuries came and prevented her from having a good second half of the season, yes

emdee

Final Flight
Yes, I was talking about Nam: I remember watching a video during the summer where he skated a clean FS with two 3As and then I was really sad when he placed only 4th and 16th in his JGP events, where he could have easily been on the podium :cry: Karen had a good JGP season, but she never really skated as she could except for the SP in the second event... Then injuries came and prevented her from having a good second half of the season, yes

I recall an interview with Brian Orser where he said that since Nam grew a great deal it took him much of 3013 to stabilize his jumps.
However I also recall that Nam did well in the second half of the season at Canadians, junior worlds which he won and also at senior worlds.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have gone several times, when there were skaters that I was interested in competing. Rink 2 is where most of the Junior & Senior events are held. It used to be that a really good group of skaters competed there-Patrick Chan, Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Ross Miner, Rohene Ward, Emily Hughes, Castelli & Shnapir, etc

However, last year the most notable competitor was Keegan Messing in senior men.

I don't know why the competition is less popular with skaters than it was, but that's how it is. This year the itneresting part will be looking at the Juniors for new up and coming skaters, and the Israeli skating team, and Ross Miner.

The good part is that there is no charge to attend, and the rink food is edible.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I have gone several times, when there were skaters that I was interested in competing. Rink 2 is where most of the Junior & Senior events are held. It used to be that a really good group of skaters competed there-Patrick Chan, Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Ross Miner, Rohene Ward, Emily Hughes, Castelli & Shnapir, etc However, last year the most notable competitor was Keegan Messing in senior men. I don't know why the competition is less popular with skaters than it was, but that's how it is. This year the itneresting part will be looking at the Juniors for new up and coming skaters, and the Israeli skating team, and Ross Miner. The good part is that there is no charge to attend, and the rink food is edible.

Thanks for the info! I am going to go.

RUKen

Rinkside
Thanks for the info! I am going to go.

Bring a cushion to sit on, as the bleachers are cold and hard. Also, be sure to have extra clothing to pull on, and perhaps a blanket; the rink can be very cold even when it is warm outside. (There are space heaters hanging from the ceiling in Rink 2 that are activated by feeding quarters into a box on the wall; have some change ready.)

For a number of years, the "main events" were the junior competitions; then more recently prominent senior skaters began to compete here as Doris mentioned (many of them had previously competed as juniors), but that changed last year for some reason. It should still be a worthwhile event, especially if you live close enough to "commute" to the rink.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Bring a cushion to sit on, as the bleachers are cold and hard. Also, be sure to have extra clothing to pull on, and perhaps a blanket; the rink can be very cold even when it is warm outside. (There are space heaters hanging from the ceiling in Rink 2 that are activated by feeding quarters into a box on the wall; have some change ready.) For a number of years, the "main events" were the junior competitions; then more recently prominent senior skaters began to compete here as Doris mentioned (many of them had previously competed as juniors), but that changed last year for some reason. It should still be a worthwhile event, especially if you live close enough to "commute" to the rink.

Thanks for the advice about the bleachers. I will definitely take it. I am right outside of Philadelphia so it shouldn't be a long trip. Because of work I can do the Saturday/Sunday events which I think are the Junior/Senior events.