Broadmoor Open 2014. June 25 to 28 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Broadmoor Open 2014. June 25 to 28

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am still really confused about the meaning of SP only v CE. For example, Jason Brown is listed for both the SP only & the CE event. He won't skate his SP twice, right? But will he skate his SP tonight @ 8:35 or tomorrow at 2:00? Why would he register for SP only if he's also doing the FS - so he has a day off in between?

@jasonbskates will skate his SP twice, per his tweet:
Thanks so much 4 all the support tonight! Means so much to me! Loved getting out there & competing again!Short #2 tomorrow & long Saturday!
10:17 PM - 26 Jun 2014
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/482392178006573056

Thanks I also saw that but found it confusing b/c it supposedly relates to events where there is a preliminary round, which I don't think is the case for the men. Maybe they don't know when they sign up b/c it cd depend on how many entries they get. Anyway, just saw that Jason tweeted that he starts competing again tonight so that answers one of my questions!

Sorry that my answer was nothing that you did not already know.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So Jason won this segment easily with 80.73 points.

Layout was 3F-3T, 3A (stepout likely <) and 3Z. I like the program so far. It sort of reminds me of his Money SP from when he was a novice (2009) but blues music makes it a more sassy, mature version. As always he was a crowd pleaser and performed during the whole SP. I loved his various blinks and nuances It looked like he was still getting used to the step sequence but I think it's going to be gold once he masters it! Overall it's a good start. I'm a bit curious about his jump layout...couldn't tell if the 3A was after the halfway mark. Can't help if he's thinking of a 4T, 3A, 3Z-3T layout down the road.

I thought Jordan Moeller's SP to Wakare No Kyoku (aka Chopin's Tristesse) was lovely and lyrical. He had some problems with his jumps and finished after the music amassing 3 deductions. However, I see some potential. 56.82

Trevor Bergqvist from Sweden skated to some jazz music (with lyrics). I didn't catch his jumps. 45.60.
Now I want videos!! :bang::biggrin:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So Jason won this segment easily with 80.73 points.

Layout was 3F-3T, 3A (stepout likely <) and 3Z. I like the program so far. It sort of reminds me of his Money SP from when he was a novice (2009) but blues music makes it a more sassy, mature version. As always he was a crowd pleaser and performed during the whole SP. I loved his various blinks and nuances It looked like he was still getting used to the step sequence but I think it's going to be gold once he masters it! Overall it's a good start. I'm a bit curious about his jump layout...couldn't tell if the 3A was after the halfway mark. Can't help if he's thinking of a 4T, 3A, 3Z-3T layout down the road.

I thought Jordan Moeller's SP to Wakare No Kyoku (aka Chopin's Tristesse) was lovely and lyrical. He had some problems with his jumps and finished after the music amassing 3 deductions. However, I see some potential. 56.82

Trevor Bergqvist from Sweden skated to some jazz music (with lyrics). I didn't catch his jumps. 45.60.
Now that I watched the video :biggrin: (thank you to karne in the programs thread), I can say that I liked it, overall.
The 3A is definitely in the first half, and if he includes a quad in order not to lose GOE points I hope it will be preceeded by steps (otherwise, he would have to plan a 4T+2/3T), but from the clip TSL posted one year ago there was a preparation before it some I'm not worried about it...
As for the program itself, it is very well-choreographed (again :bow: to Rohene Ward), but I'm afraid that this is one of those programs that when the skater is nervous and not able to perform the heck out of it lose their impact (Kanako's SP earlier this season :disapp: )... I hope Jason proves me wrong and that he'll be able to shine out there every time he performs it :agree:

TMC

Record Breaker
I think you are onto something Mrs P. I too got a feeling from the timing before the 3F-3T that it could be replaced by steps+4T when the quad is there. Followed by 3A & 3Z/F-3T combo. He seems more comfortable with the 3F-3T combo, though. Wouldn't it be glorious to see a 'tano 3Z-3T tho? :biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@jasonbskates will skate his SP twice, per his tweet:
Thanks so much 4 all the support tonight! Means so much to me! Loved getting out there & competing again!Short #2 tomorrow & long Saturday!
10:17 PM - 26 Jun 2014
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/482392178006573056

Sorry that my answer was nothing that you did not already know.

Hi- actually it was very helpful & thx to you we now know he's performing it again today!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, it's hard to tell with Jason's program because so far it strikes me more as a charcoal sketch than a 'real' program. The music is great and it's definitely an audience-pleasing "performer's" program. My gut feeling is that this is a "road test" and the choreography will probably change significantly before the start of the season. The sprinkler has got to go--audiences will love it, yes, but it's a bit corny. That final spin is a guaranteed clap-inducer. So will the step sequence be, when it's set and he's got the muscle memory. It's not a program you can skate "halfheartedly"--it has to be Performed with a Capital P. But then Jason is a big ham (but not, thank goodness, an audience-pandering one).

Definite potential galore though and I love the contrast in music between the drama of his LP and the sass of this.

TMC

Record Breaker
Hmm, it's hard to tell with Jason's program because so far it strikes me more as a charcoal sketch than a 'real' program. The music is great and it's definitely an audience-pleasing "performer's" program. My gut feeling is that this is a "road test" and the choreography will probably change significantly before the start of the season. The sprinkler has got to go--audiences will love it, yes, but it's a bit corny. That final spin is a guaranteed clap-inducer. So will the step sequence be, when it's set and he's got the muscle memory. It's not a program you can skate "halfheartedly"--it has to be Performed with a Capital P. But then Jason is a big ham (but not, thank goodness, an audience-pandering one).

Definite potential galore though and I love the contrast in music between the drama of his LP and the sass of this.

100% agree with you re the sprinkler. I laughed and cringed simultaneously :laugh:

It's not even a bit corny - it's like in the top 5 corniest dance moves in the universe ever. All I can think of is Ross's moves in "The One with the Routine" :slink:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
100% agree with you re the sprinkler. I laughed and cringed simultaneously :laugh:

It's not even a bit corny - it's like in the top 5 corniest dance moves in the universe ever. All I can think of is Ross's moves in "The One with the Routine" :slink:

I was trying to be uncharacteristically polite. LOL! Epic fail! (Much like the sprinkler itself...)

LOL!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

Agree, and I would say the same about the finger guns at the beginning of the program. Both moves are very Jason and at the same time very "umm, maybe save for your exhibition". ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Agree, and I would say the same about the finger guns at the beginning of the program. Both moves are very Jason and at the same time very "umm, maybe save for your exhibition". ;)

Actually right now it kind of reminds me of the MC Hammer program (high energy & he finishes sitting on the ice) although with more complex elements.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I saw that Lukas Kaugers was on the competitor list for Sr. Mens, but haven't heard anything about him competing. Does anyone that watched have any info?

alexinga

Rinkside
I saw that Lukas Kaugers was on the competitor list for Sr. Mens, but haven't heard anything about him competing. Does anyone that watched have any info?

Lukas apparently injured his hip earlier this week on practice ice.

humbaba

Final Flight
Mirai Nagasu is on the list of skaters scheduled to compete in the SP tonight.

humbaba

Final Flight
Mirai was third in the SP behind Ashley Cain and Mariah Bell. Just about every one of her jump landings was wonky. Her final spin was spectacular and her interpretation of the music was wonderful. Overall I think Mirai's SP shows a lot of promise. Ashley Cain looks better every time I see her skate.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Mirai Nagasu has been skating in Colorado Springs lately, so possibly she will compete? ...

Mirai Nagasu is on the list of skaters scheduled to compete in the SP tonight.

Best to Nagasu. :yay:

[Cool :cool: that Doris correctly predicted days ago that Nagasu could show up at this competition. :)]

ETA:

Hi- actually it was very helpful & thx to you we now know he's performing it again today!

LOL, thx for your kind words ... but I have a feeling that you gave the announcement a much more thorough reading than I did. ;)

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Mirai was third in the SP behind Ashley Cain and Mariah Bell. Just about every one of her jump landings was wonky. Her final spin was spectacular and her interpretation of the music was wonderful. Overall I think Mirai's SP shows a lot of promise. Ashley Cain looks better every time I see her skate.

And the music was?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

Wonder if Tom Z is re-working jump technique. Sounds promising. Glad to hear Ashley Cain skated well.