Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well I thought there'd be a congratulatory post or two recognizing that Kaitlin and Jean-Luc won their second consecutive bronze medal at Nationals. It wasn't a sure thing, the competition for third was fierce, but they succeeded. :yahoo:
I liked Kaitlin's new dress for the free dance, it didn't look as heavy or clunky like the previous one. And I do like their FD, but not Marie-France's background story for it, history gets all twisted around in her version lol Anyway onward and upwards for Hawyek and Baker. :)

Ross74

Medalist
Well I thought there'd be a congratulatory post or two recognizing that Kaitlin and Jean-Luc won their second consecutive bronze medal at Nationals. It wasn't a sure thing, the competition for third was fierce, but they succeeded. :yahoo:
I liked Kaitlin's new dress for the free dance, it didn't look as heavy or clunky like the previous one. And I do like their FD, but not Marie-France's background story for it, history gets all twisted around in her version lol Anyway onward and upwards for Hawyek and Baker. :)

I'll join in! Congrats to my favorite dance team. I can't get enough of Jean-Luc's amazing dancing and look forward to seeing them at 4CC and Worlds! Woohoo!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

My babies! I congratulated them heaps in the other thread. I was sooooo sad for them at FOFS brunch because almost no one spoke to them except me. I mean they got a standing ovation...where are their fans? And when do we get to talk about them getting gold or silver at US Nats instead of praying for bronze?

For the love of God someone rescue them from Montreal!

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I dislike disagreeing with you, moonvine. But if they are happy and content in Montreal and feel that they are getting enough attention from the coaching team, I don't know if I want to rescue them. Training with your top competitors in the same rink didn't hurt Meryl and Charlie or Tessa and Scott. It spurred both of those teams onto greatness. Personally I think they might be lost in the shuffle up there, but if they are happy, I doubt things will change. I do wonder how much of a say they have in which choreographers work with them. P/C work with Christopher Dean, the same opportunity for outside choreography should be offered to Kaitlin and Jean-Luc even though they aren't world medalists yet. We'll just have to take a wait and see approach. H/B must know they have to keep improving because the USA's other lower ranked teams will certainly strive to improve.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I dislike disagreeing with you, moonvine. But if they are happy and content in Montreal and feel that they are getting enough attention from the coaching team, I don't know if t want to rescue them. Training with your top competitors in the same rink didn't hurt Meryl and Charlie or Tessa and Scott. It spurred both of those teams onto greatness. Personally I think they might be lost in the shuffle up there, but if they are happy, I doubt things will change. I do wonder how much of a say they have in which choreographers work with them. P/C work with Christopher Dean, the same opportunity for outside choreography should be offered to Kaitlin and Jean-Luc even though they aren't world medalists yet. We'll just have to take a wait and see approach. H/B mus know they have to keep improving because the USA's other lower ranked teams will certainly strive to improve.

Feel free to disagree! What I know about ice dance would fit on the head of a pin. I just love Kaitlyn and Jean Luc. I hope I never love another dance team. The scoring is far too confusing. Anyway, last year their placements were great and they made the GPF. I know a lot depends on which Grand Prix assignment you get and yadda yadda. But they were very, very clearly unhappy with their scores (if I never see that shell-shocked, confused, horrified look on my beautiful Kaitlyns face in the K&C it will be just wonderful). I would think (and I am no skating coach so take with a grain of salt) that a coach would at least be able to tell the skaters why they got those scores and how to improve. They are sinking. I guess if they like sinking fine, but I would not think they would like it. Yes, Meryl and Charlie and Tessa and Scott did well in Detroit. It seemed to be an unusual enough situation that news articles were written about it. And it was 2. There are currently 3 American teams, 1 French team, 1 British team and as of this 2018 article, “many” competitive teams from 8 different countries as well as 5 solos looking for partners. That may have changed somewhat, but I doubt it’s changed a lot. I don’t think they were happy with their placement at US Nationals and surely they can’t be happy struggling to remain in 3rd place among US pairs. I get asked where they should go. I do not know. But it can’t possibly be the only answer that all top and aspiring ice dance teams must go to Gadbois and nowhere else. They are clearly, clearly not a priority in Montreal. And if they don’t get outside choreography IMHO they will never be world medalists. I just love them so much and that look on her face in the K&C just absolutely broke my heart. Feel free to disagree. I just don’t want to see that look ever, ever again. And I don’t think they’d mind not medaling so much if they were happy with their scores.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's FD was gorgeous. I'm impressed that they choreographed much of it themselves with input from their coaching team of course, Considering that earlier in the year some of were wondering if Montreal was a good fit for them, Kaitlin and Jean-Luc managed to make lemonade out of this lemon of a year . I hope they keep skating very very well. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m so glad people are watching my babies and not sitting around waiting for their “inevitable” slide to 4th in the US.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing this team (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congratulations to Kaitlin and Jean-Luc on their bronze!

I just love this team, following them on Insta is much recommended, they always cheer me up.

Figure skating judging is difficult to understand and ice dance judging is the most confusing of all!

I'd like to say though, that their FD this season is pure magic. I love everything about it! The fact they choreographed it themselves is amazing, they're both incredible artists and performers :)

Also Kaitlin loves Dad jokes and paints beautiful art! Jean-Luc makes me smile. :)

Long may they grace the ice!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Kaitlin and Jean-Luc on their bronze!

I just love this team, following them on Insta is much recommended, they always cheer me up.

Figure skating judging is difficult to understand and ice dance judging is the most confusing of all!

I'd like to say though, that their FD this season is pure magic. I love everything about it! The fact they choreographed it themselves is amazing, they're both incredible artists and performers :)

Also Kaitlin loves Dad jokes and paints beautiful art! Jean-Luc makes me smile. :)

Long may they grace the ice!
The dad jokes are the best. “Hey Jean Luc hey Jean Luc hey Jean Luc...”