Takahiko Kozuka | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Takahiko Kozuka

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
First of all, this may be late but kudos to ionap for starting this fanfest thread for Takahiko.

Takahiko had a rough skate at the Japan Open (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EchBc_MZ5yE). Despite the falls, two-footed and popped jumps, however, his was a beautiful program with the vocals seemingly an organic part of it, rather than an added effect. There were also beautiful moments there like his spread eagle (3:05), which gives me the same kind of thrill as Yuzuru's Ina Bauer. Hopefully Takahiko will be able to perform this program as it should be in his GP assignments and get a PB.

I must disclose my personal interest in Takahiko: it started when I saw him in tears at not making the Olympic team for Sochi (not the brightest moment for Japanese media who persisted in interviewing him). My heart broke for Takahiko, and I so wanted him to do well in his future competitions. This is how Yukari Nakano beautifully expressed the challenge before Takahiko this season as quoted in this blog (http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/masqueradewaltz/folder/368964.html):

Takahiko has announced to be a competitive skater in the future.

In this season, while Dai-chan taking a rest, Takahiko is the oldest skater in Team Japan. He may have many troubles by getting older and needs to talk much to his body than before. Hereafter, every single day would be valuable moments to him and I hope him to keep challenging.

He is going to fight a last-ditch battle(as if he draws the sword and throws away the scabbard). The new season is coming soon, where Takahiko turns his regret into the power to rise up.

He often called me “Mom in Yokohama,” because I took care of him so much, although I’m around the age in his elder sister.(chuckle) With the feeling of his sister, I will keep watching on “my young brother” Takahiko, until he reaches the height of figure skating and burns himself out.

To save this post from accusations of being "maudlin," here's the reaction in turn of the blogger to the foregoing sentiments of Yukari which the blogger posted in smaller font:

btw, how many mom-like persons does he have...?
his own true mom
big mom in Shin-Yokohama = Kumiko Sato
little mom in Shin-Yokohama = Yukari Nakano
boss mom in Chukyo univ. = Miki Ando
little boss mom in Chukyo = Mai Asada (but same age of him)
:
his beautiful aunt = Shizuka Arakawa
his aunt of warm heart = AKiko Suzuki
his cheerful niece = Kanako Murakami

And how will man become if he has many moms?
maybe he will never look after himself.

And i still wonder "what kind of person is Mao for him?"

;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Someone said Kozuka had a fever at JO, so no wonder. I hope he a steady recovery before the season starts.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think it's very brave of Takahiko to keep going. He represents the last of that generation of Japanese figure skating.

I can't believe what happened to him at JO... I hope that motivates him to only fight harder from here on out. Maybe we'll see an incredible Japan 1-2-3 podium this year. :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
His FP this year has the potential to be the best he's ever done...I'm crossing my fingers that we'll get to see it clean and get Kozuka on the podium again. Gamba Kozuka!

Barb

Record Breaker
I really want the best for him. Why there is much drama with Japanese skaters?, Mao and Dai retire without an olympic gold when they are so great and hard workers, Miki with her personal dramas, Kanako with a terrible program in her last season, Akiko and her injuries and not so good performance in olympics and worlds, Yuzu winning with a subpar performance. This is so stressful for me, they are so adorable and talented.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^ Chapis, I agree there were undeniably moments that were "stressful" for us, the fans of the skaters you mentioned, but there were also many and more moments to remember and cherish about them and their skating.

And I tend to think all of them, despite of or maybe because of all the "drama" and pain, would looking back, like Mao, say figure skating (which can be a metaphor for life really) is wonderful. And that is why I am fan. :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
I also heard he was feeling sick and I think that is what happened because he usually never skates such weak programs. He may have his technical problems but his health was clearly in bad conditions at JO.

I agree with Newbiespectator and think this may the best FS he has ever done (and one of my favorite Team Japan programs this season, along with Satoko's FS) so I hope he manages to skate to his fullest potential in the near future.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Not the skate I was hoping for Takahiko at Skate Canada's Men's SP, but it was lovely to hear Simon Reed saying that Takahiko has 'zillion of fans and that he (Simon) loves watching Takahiko skate. Hoping for a better performance from Team Japan's captain in the free.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Mostly 7.50 and 7.75 for his SS... I won't even comment on it :laugh: One of the judges also gave him 5s for PE and IN. Ridiculous.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think of one the reasons is his jumps have been so off these days. I don't understand. I hope it's just he is still getting used to his new blades.

mikaboo

Medalist
I set the alarm to 5:15am, ignored it, but I kept on dreaming that Kozu did well, he did bad, he did well, he did bad… so I got up to see the results and the 2nd group was doing their warm-up!
Anyway, he did in between good and bad I guess. Not as bad as I thought. Too bad about the scores though.
TV Asahi tweeted yesterday that he seemed to have problems on his left leg (or foot). They asked Coach Sato about it and Sato said the he's injured a little, but it's getting better. I hope he does better on the FS. I like both his programs and the EX too.

ioanna

Record Breaker
The judges have hit another low with this one, in my opinion.

Giving 5s to a skater like Takahiko Kozuka once again shows the relevance of PCS these days.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The judges have hit another low with this one, in my opinion. Giving 5s to a skater like Takahiko Kozuka once again shows the relevance of PCS these days.
We shouldn't blame it all on the judges, though. Kozuka did badly in practice. I am actually glad that he didn't fall. Watching him in practice scared me a lot.

You know judges watched them practice as well, they might have bad impression from that time.

ioanna

Record Breaker
We shouldn't blame it all on the judges, though. Kozuka did badly in practice. I am actually glad that he didn't fall. Watching him in practice scared me a lot.

You know judges watched them practice as well, they might have bad impression from that time.

Well, judge #3 thought his IN was worth a 5.75 mark while judge #7 thought it deserved a 8.00. Were they even watching the same person?

unico

Final Flight
I hate the politics of this sport, because that's the only reason to explain Kozuka's stupidly low PCS. Even if his "performance" isn't your cup of tea, it's hardly enough to look over his stunning skating skills. He really suffers from his inconsistency, and even more-so, never being "the number 1" of his federation. :no:

I mean, at least let him hit 40/80 PCS for a decent skate :cry:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, judge #3 thought his IN was worth a 5.75 mark while judge #7 thought it deserved a 8.00. Were they even watching the same person?
Maybe judge #3 had bad impression on him in the practice and judge #7 didn't.

Remember Takahito Mura is not well-known as Kozuka, also from Japan fed, and his PCS here is still higher than Kozuka.

Look at the protocol, I do think that politics has a lot to do in FS, but both Kozuka and Mura are from the same fed, and Kozuka has more international exposure. Tell me why Mura gets higher PCS here?
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2014/gpcan2014_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

I can't tell for sure but in my opinion, Mura's Carmen SP is not memorable, why higher PCS? And Mura is definitely not Japan's No1.

I feel bad for Kozuka and hope he gets better PCS, but I don't think the judges are playing politics this time, though.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
He's PCS is beyond undermarked that even a newcomer like Brown get better components scores. His scores are around Brezina's and some random guys I don't even know about.