Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Ender

Match Penalty
The first movement of moonlight can be cheesy depends on the performer though. It took me a long time to appreciate it. So many versions turn it into something so pop-ish. I hope they will use some good version.

oat

On the Ice
My vision just upon the music. I was disappointed when i hear that it was Moonlight Sonata, as you I understand the charge of monotony and i would liked to see them in gladiator music or sound of silence with a part of real silence or Bach's air (for the classic music). I like Moulin Rouge, I think it is a good choice for V/M.

Now, we have an interesting contrast between MR much modern and MS a classic. For me with MS, P/C must show => lightness, softness, purity and sadness and what else :scratch2: :biggrin:

all that

Final Flight
P/C don't have to show us anything but themselves: two angels descended from heaven to show us what real ice dance is supposed to look like. To make two such artists play characters or inauthentic emotions would be an insult. The Olympic audience deserves to see them just as they are, gliding on ice, the music swirling around as if the music is trying to dance to their rhythm, rather than the other way around.

maya1985

On the Ice
For me the important thing is that it is their choice, they wanted this music and not another. If it is actually moonlight sonata, ok there has already been a wonderful program but Gabriella and Guillaume will interpret it in their own way for them (and for us:luv17:)
3 days to wait

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
If it is indeed true they are using MS like G/G they can do wonders with it.Like G/G they have an ethereal lightness and flow over the ice that even A/P or D/V didn't have.They were more dramatic skaters so I think Gabby and Guillume will bring something new to the music.I can hardly wait till Friday.Can't wait to see this SS that goes totally with the music!

all that

Final Flight
P/C have been all about bringing a new style to ice dance, and I'm guessing that never will that style be more evident than in this free dance. The difference between this program and everyone else's will be obvious, and the Olympic audience will know they are seeing the dawn of a new era. 1st place will be the only place that is worthy.

alain06fr

On the Ice
Yep, as you found out, FD is Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig von Beethoven.

The sonata consists of three movements:
1. Adagio sostenuto, 2/2, C# minor (ut dièse mineur)
2. Allegretto, 3/4, D♭ major (ré bémol majeur)
3. Presto agitato, 4/4, C♯ minor (ut dièse mineur)

The 1st movement conveys a sort of soft sadness which is not surprising for a minor tune music. This movement fits perfectly to P/C effortless style and they have the talent to sublime it. Well, I saw them in Gadbois and there's a lot of emotions reflected by their moves and their face expressions but not only. They worked all kinds of details, especially with Jeffrey Cirio. I think of the arm movements, head movements, transitions and so on.

The second movement is relatively conventional and does not bring anything much thinking of a 4 minutes free dance

The stormy final movement is definitely great. It's in minor tune like the 1st one which makes a transition between the 1st and the 3rd movement very smooth. That was not the case with the Mozart Concerto 24 as the middle part of the FD was in major tune while the 1st and last sequences were in minor tune.

BTW, I saw them rehearsing some small parts (10 or 15s max) of the FD without music and that was just fantastic. Just the way they move their arms, their body, their face, the way they sync up together, the emotions on their faces, the softness of the whole thing plus their outstanding artistic and technical skills. all this combined makes this FD simply sublime. To get them fully impregnated with the Concerto 24, Catherine Pinard pushed them in 2014/15to perform their FD without any music (sometimes, I feel Catherine Pinard is just crazy but for the best. she brought so much to P/C). Instead P/C had to sing themselves the Mozart piece while dancing on the ice. Obviously, since then G&G improved a lot. When I saw them in Gadbois, Gabriella and Guillaume felt completely impregnated by the rhythms and music of the Moonlight Sonata. Be prepared for a powerful, a deep and contemporary/modern interpretation. The end of the FD was completely redesigned by Jeffrey Cirio and it's just stunning. Big thanks to him!

oat

On the Ice
Yep, FD is Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig von Beethoven.

The sonata consists of three movements:
1. Adagio sostenuto, 2/2, C# minor (ut dièse mineur)
2. Allegretto, 3/4, D♭ major (ré bémol majeur)
3. Presto agitato, 4/4, C♯ minor (ut dièse mineur)

The 1st movement conveys a sort of soft sadness which is not surprising for a minor tune music. This movement fits perfectly to P/C effortless style and they have the talent to sublime it. Well, I saw them in Gadbois and there's a lot of emotions reflected by their moves and their face expressions but not only. They worked all kinds of details, especially with Jeffrey Cirio. I think of the arm movements, head movements, transitions and so on.

The second movement is relatively conventional and does not bring anything much thinking of a 4 minutes free dance

The stormy final movement is definitely great. It's in minor tune like the 1st one which makes a transition between the 1st and the 3rd movement very smooth. That was not the case with the Mozart Concerto 24 as the middle part of the FD was in major tune while the 1st and last sequences were in minor tune.

Alain, for choregraphy, we have :
The SD => Christopher Dean
and the FD => Jeffrey Cirio
Dean, did he work a little upon MS ?
And Marie France ?
Après tout ce que tu viens d'écrire gare à toi si ce n'est pas aussi bien que ce qu'on est en train de s'imaginer/espérer. :laugh:
Je n'ai pas bien compris en anglais ce que tu évoques pour le 2nd mouvement

Who are A/P or D/V ?
Thank You

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
wow alain06fr thanks!:bow: sounds fantastic:clap: the music is so them! (& Im happy they dont repeat programs!:laugh:)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alain, for choregraphy, we have :
The SD => Christopher Dean
and the FD => Jeffrey Cirio
Dean, did he work a little upon MS ?
And Marie France ?
Après tout ce que tu viens d'écrire gare à toi si ce n'est pas aussi bien que ce qu'on est en train de s'imaginer/espérer. :laugh:
Je n'ai pas bien compris en anglais ce que tu évoques pour le 2nd mouvement

Who are A/P or D/V ?
Thank You

In the IceTalk interview with Christopher Dean he said specifically that he worked with them on the SD, so I'd say that he didn't do anything for the FD. Jeffrey Cirio is not a skater, he doesn't know all the rules, how to choreograph a level four step sequence, etc. I know when Davis/White worked with Derek Hough on their Olympic season SD, they said they weren't really using any specific choreo from him, because it's different doing it on the ice, but he really helped them with the general body movement and flavour of the dance. I'm sure Marie-France and probably Romain are both involved in P/C's free dance.

I'd guess A/P refers to Anissina/Peizerat.

CAS

On the Ice
According to wikipedia, 2008-09 season.

Checked youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUcsqOnXKgE) and it's safe to say that if P/C indeed give us Moonlight Sonata, it won't look anything like the F/S FD. (Seriously, those costumes. What the ef?!)

That was a charming FD by them and I thought them doing it as Pierrette/Pierrot was inspired as they were often associated with moonlight. I enjoyed the whole look and feel of that program.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frjDqRGQO3A ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhQz0hB2GA&t=238s

I recently read that Moonlight sonata comparing with Moulin Rouge is a worse choice because MR is very friendly music:scratch2: but a Beethoven's masterpiece is monotonous. I won't dispute with this silly statement.
Yes, this is just - I would insert a roll-eye emoticon if it was available on the mobile version. I really have no words for such a statement.

With regard to Moulin Rouge, I have no idea why anyone would want to go to Olympics, a once every four year event, and subject the audiences and the judges to Ewan MacGregor's horrific singing. I, for one, do not think that everyone has ability to completely separate what they hear from what they see; and if the judges being forced to listen to something that bad, it will likely influence their opinion of what they see. Beyond that, it communicates a lack of judgement of what is good, or even what is pleasant. It's just not a good piece music to choose. Full stop. And as I am going to watch every Virtue and Moir performance this year, I wish they'd chosen something different for purely selfish reasons.
The 'Moulin Rouge' soundtrack is not my favorite music or type of music. I love some of the songs in the pop-medley in their original versions, and was glad that they were paid homage to in this movie, I don't find the movie versions horrible either, but that's it.

Musicals are not my type of music in general (well, probably except the 'Dancer in the Dark' soundtrack by Bjork and the theatre musical with David Bowie's music, 'Lazarus', just because those were his songs). But, again, I don't find either 'Tango de Roxanne' or 'Come What May' that horrible. Yes, the first one is overused, but that's another thing + it can still be done better (in skating) than we are used to seeing. In my opinion, V/M are already doing it better even if they have yet to put their full force into it. That said, I understand that people (not all people) dislike McGregor's singing because it's over the top. But it's not off-key, and for some other people over the top = very emotional. As for the other 'Tango de Roxanne' part which quite a lot of people also find horrible, it's definitely not about beautiful/pretty singing, but about a "rough around the edges" macho man expressing his jealousy and emotions. In any case, I know quite a lot of people who like the 'Moulin Rouge' music, including on this forum.

Finally, so many skaters have already skated to 'Tango de Roxanne' which includes also Evan McGregor's singing, and I definitely haven't observed judges deducting them for it somehow - neither for McGregor's or the other actor's singing, nor for it being overused in skating by now.

So what you are saying about judges, as well as people disliking it, and also about it being a bad choice for Olympics in general because of those (seeming) reasons is really a moot point. 'Moonlight Sonata' is a more widely liked music, but it can be a less than ideal choice too depending on how it is skated and interpreted. Although I am totally sure that Gabriella and Guillaume will more than do it justice.

all that

Final Flight
Moonlight Sonata is famous worldwide hundreds of years after it was first played for this primary reason: it is loved by audiences! Will Moulin Rouge be loved by audiences 200 years from now? Doubt it, as it isn't much loved even now.

Moonlight Sonata needs the skaters to truly understand and feel the music to express the subtle purity. Who can do this besides P/C right now? No one. They've smartly worked all quad for this moment, each year building on their interpretative skills, challenging themselves last year with a difficult piece. They've always known what they wanted, which is the most impressive thing about them. So young, yet so sure of their art. I call it now...in a few years time, P/C will be acknowledged by everyone as the greatest ice dancers of all time, supplanting Torvill & Dean, K&P, G&P, etc.