Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 333 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Roast Toast

Medalist
The order of the GP events for next season has been released: SA -> SC -> CoC -> IdF -> Rostelecom -> NHK. A nice late start to the season for Gabi and Guillaume!

Escarbille

On the Ice
Country
France
Indeed ... if they continue on the same pattern IdF and NHK. Don't they once want to participate at SA, SC or Rostelecom ? This would be good for their voucher card :laugh:, but probably more difficult if we take into account the assignment rules and schedule.
By the way, do you know where the next IdF will takes place (Grenoble was planned for 3 years 2017, 2018 2019)?

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Indeed ... if they continue on the same pattern IdF and NHK. Don't they once want to participate at SA, SC or Rostelecom ? This would be good for their voucher card :laugh:, but probably more difficult if we take into account the assignment rules and schedule.
By the way, do you know where the next IdF will takes place (Grenoble was planned for 3 years 2017, 2018 2019)?
If no Canadian team makes it to the podium, they could start at SA for a change. It would be a nice challenge and not much travel.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I don't really see the point of switching events... It's not like they can collect all of the titles since they'll never ever set foot at Rostelecom. And I know we don't like to think about that but as we inch closer to the Olympics the strength of competing at a home event cannot be underestimated. You can bet every other relevant team will be getting those season bests.

cuiniel

Rinkside
I don't really see the point of switching events... It's not like they can collect all of the titles since they'll never ever set foot at Rostelecom. And I know we don't like to think about that but as we inch closer to the Olympics the strength of competing at a home event cannot be underestimated. You can bet every other relevant team will be getting those season bests.

Why won't they ever go to Rostelecom?

Roast Toast

Medalist
Why won't they ever go to Rostelecom?

I don't see them not being seeded alongside a Russian team in the years they have left in the sport. Except maybe in a comeback post-hiatus type of situation, but even then it'd be foolhardy to throw themselves in the lions' den. They'd probably do CoC in that case, since they have history at that event.

lupina015

Rinkside
Another new interview, this time from Europe on Ice, with a bit more detail about how they put together the music and spoken word piece for the FD. I like their concept of skating in 'chapters' in this piece, and how the spoken words and musical sections are linked to each other. https://europeonice.com/2019/11/20/papadakis-and-cizeron-expanding-horizons/

This is something I really like about them. Their musical cuts - not just in this piece, imho - esp. for the Free are always like a Symphony. You get the feeling that things "happen" here, which keeps you to the edge of your seat for the entire performance (apart from their excellent movements).

Roast Toast

Medalist
I really like that paragraph about being worried that the rhythm dance felt "flat" in practice and that they were relieved that they could bring in the energy of the audience. Tbh I think they were a little bit burned by the swing SD since they could never really get the crowd on their side with that program after the first performance at IdF and it kinda ruined the effect (imo of course! Ik we have Swing SD lovers ITT ;)) I think they're so used to skating more internally, like in their FDs, and to connect with the audience through the sharing of something tender and intimate rather than ostentatious, that it must have been a challenge to train. Just the uncertainty of designing a program to feed off the energy of the crowd... expect there isn't a crowd in practice. You can tell they're really starting to stretch their RD muscles! Now fill up that midline step :ddevil:

Overall a much better interview than the NBCsports one, which felt a little generic.

LaArdilla

Medalist
They're skating second to last in the RD. I've just seen Mae-Berenice's Insta stories and couldn't help but laugh, the jet-lag is a struggle for poor Gabi :laugh:

Roast Toast

Medalist
Is there seriously not even a single picture of the practice let alone video? NHK ain't playing around :shocked:

Spot

On the Ice
I simply adore this RD!!! Their FDs make me hold my breath but with this RD, I am just smiling from start to finish!!

And that score!!!

All in all well worth staying up to nearly 7 am for...as they always are.

Bcash

Final Flight
Pity that the camera angles aren’t great this time. And NHK broadcast feed always washes out the colors.

Interesting performance. It seemed to me that the first half was sharper than the second, where a lot of small losses of sync happened (between them, and between them and the music). Not sure who went a bit off in the first set of twizzles. First thought it was Gabi but then on the replay Guillaume seemed a bit off.

Interestingly the final tech score came out a lot higher than what it was immediately after they finished. Anyway the score says to me that the judges are all in with them this season.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
the final tech score came out a lot higher than what it was immediately after they finished. Anyway the score says to me that the judges are all in with them this season.

It came out higher because they were originally called at Level 2 on the pattern but went to Level 4 on review. A few teams got extra levels on review, actually.

The twizzle desync looked to me like Guillaume compensating for a balance issue, but the camera angles are making a lot of things hard to judge. At least it happened after the levels were established and so only affected GOE. But with those small errors happening, I'm side-eyeing the GBR judge immensely for giving them 10.00 in SS. This was not a perfect-skating-skills-on-display day, I'm afraid.