Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 311 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

CHCreation

Match Penalty
A silver medal! But it's great! Why are not you happy? Because it is associated with trauma. That's why

:sad4:

EVERYONE know that the judges were going to give the gold to P/C if it was not for the dress. Just. The level 3 P/C got in Step Sequence in the RD costed 1.5 points in base value. Enough to push them marginally ahead. Gabby was fighting like hell but she lost balance during twizzle in Step Sequnce , we know why . And some people think better pair won. LOL Not in free dance when GG had no dress issues so they won. If some pair was better , they could have won free also.

Spot

On the Ice

Roast Toast

Medalist
It's a very bold interview. I'm happy to read that they felt the support of their entire coaching team and that they are moving on healthily. Gabi describing the dress mishap as traumatic is depressing. She always seemed to brush it off in interviews since then. Anyone who thought they didn't see it as the thing that prevented them from getting the gold was kidding themselves -- it's the most natural human reaction. "This one thing outside of our control messing up at the worst possible moment" is every Olympic athlete's worst nightmare, not "maybe not doing the team event lost us some momentum".

CHCreation

Match Penalty
It's a very bold interview. I'm happy to read that they felt the support of their entire coaching team and that they are moving on healthily. Gabi describing the dress mishap as traumatic is depressing. She always seemed to brush it off in interviews since then. Anyone who thought they didn't see it as the thing that prevented them from getting the gold was kidding themselves -- it's the most natural human reaction. "This one thing outside of our control messing up at the worst possible moment" is every Olympic athlete's worst nightmare, not "maybe not doing the team event lost us some momentum".

I feel sorry for her. I dont understans why a pair who won was happy so much when they saw what she felt and got through. I couldnt be so happy. But one has to have empathy.
I feel she blames herself a little?? I dont want her to.Maybe she wonder if she didnt touch that dress , she could forget about what happened in the beggining and perform ????

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was a very interesting read, even if I had to rely on Google translate because my French wasn't up to the task and Google translate is a bit iffy at the best of times. I like the balance they found between acknowledging their feelings in the moment, in the heat of competition, and their feelings overall, because time does give perspective and they've clearly gained that. It was a tough situation for them, they did their best and came through it with grace, and at least they can honestly say that their biggest problem was an errant costume that they'd done everything possible to keep in place beforehand but that was just determined to have its own way - not any unforced error on either of their parts.

And my, this season it's been very clear how they've learned and grown as skaters and competitors as a result of navigating the last two. I'm sure they'll have a fight on their hands for the Olympic gold next time round but they'll have experience, determination and eight years of growth to bring to bear, which will be a huge help. And I doubt they'll go with an even slightly risky costume design again!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I feel sorry for her. I dont understans why a pair who won was happy so much when they saw what she felt and got through. I couldnt be so happy. But one has to have empathy.
I feel she blames herself a little?? I dont want her to.Maybe she wonder if she didnt touch that dress , she could forget about what happened in the beggining and perform ????

Because they accomplished their goal, and their focus was on themselves, not the other team. It's exactly like Gabriella said in the interview when she talked about hoping they would fail during the FD - they were thinking about themselves, which is completely natural and expected. Both teams were focused on themselves and their goals, as they should be at the Olympics.

---

Anyways, I came here to say that I really liked the interview. I know some people in other places are mad about parts of it, but I found it very honest and interesting to read.

And I agree with Harriet about the costume design for the next Olympics. I was just thinking while reading it that they'll be ultra careful about the design.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Anyways, I came here to say that I really liked the interview. I know some people in other places are mad about parts of it, but I found it very honest and interesting to read.

Yeah, if you value your own sanity, don't go on Twitter, really. All hell broke loose, Gabi having to apologize for the interview :palmf: :palmf: ....rather watch one of their wonderful skates (I should've done this too).

Eleanor

On the Ice
Yeah, if you value your own sanity, don't go on Twitter, really. All hell broke loose, Gabi having to apologize for the interview :palmf: :palmf: ....rather watch one of their wonderful skates (I should've done this too).
Oh gawd, they can't get a rest, can they ?
Even the debate on FS universe is ridiculous. Some internet users just use that interview to spill their hate towards Gabriella (becausr you know, Guillaume being a man and the perfect skater, it's impossible to attack him. Way easier to attack Gabby-mediocre-big-nose-skater.

Gabriella is just so brave for speaking up about how they felt and still using a social media like twitter. This is just going wayyyy too far. I feel quite mad to see poeple onlie so high on their horses who are most likely to behave like brats in real life. Nobody is perfect. Besides, Gabby was respectful in that interview, she did not say anything rude or mean towards V/M. They made their mistakes in the SD and during the FD, they sort of wished that things would be even and each team had a mistake. It's not scandalous.

Good luck to them; they are going to need it to survive the nasty internet :dev2:

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Oh gawd, they can't get a rest, can they ?
Even the debate on FS universe is ridiculous. Some internet users just use that interview to spill their hate towards Gabriella [...]
Good luck to them; they are going to need it to survive the nasty internet :dev2:
Yeah, it's so ridicilous I wouldn't believe it hadn't I seen it... Actually, Gabby having to explain this on Twitter and still being attacked was the last straw for me and I deactivated Twitter...

Just a thought: People are pointing out how every team praised the positive atmosphere v/m brought with them and are accusing Gabby/Guillaume for not appreciating them... But they fail to see that p/c and v/m were each other's greatest rivals. Let's be real were there other teams with such a huge chance to win gold? I don't think so. So, the other Gadbois teams probably had more time to appreciate v/m without inevitibly thinking about them as greatest rivals. (I don't know much about ice dance so I see similarities with TCC before Olympics. On one side there are all skaters (including Jun) and on the other side Yuzuru and Javi who had a realistic chance to win gold and even though they had been training together for six years at that time their coach changed their schedule because the pressure of coming Olympics is simply there). And it must have been a huge change when suddenly a new team came... Dozens little things change, not for worse, but they change, you have to adjust. And Gabby & Guillaume have always been very professional in handling this.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I replaced the dead video links in the OP with working links. No WTT alas.

Enjoy before youtube takes them down?

buchjager

Rinkside
i was on twitter and if you read the comments properly you see just 3 or 4 ( maybe 5) hateful posters...they just posted ALOT so it seems there are more than the actual 5 persons... the same fanatic stans of V/M as always. - many others actually the overwhelming majority of posts are very supporting. it was good to see because I find the interview honest and raw and very personal. I appreciate athletes not being mainstream and everybody's darlingish but being honest. (even if you know you won't make new friends in Canada if you don't adore the floor V/M are walking on.) it was a brave move imho. if it is possible I adore them even more now because they let us see a little bit of them as private persons and what I see I like a lot.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
i was on twitter and if you read the comments properly you see just 3 or 4 ( maybe 5) hateful posters...they just posted ALOT so it seems there are more than the actual 5 persons... the same fanatic stans of V/M as always. - many others actually the overwhelming majority of posts are very supporting. it was good to see because I find the interview honest and raw and very personal. I appreciate athletes not being mainstream and everybody's darlingish but being honest. (even if you know you won't make new friends in Canada if you don't adore the floor V/M are walking on.) it was a brave move imho. if it is possible I adore them even more now because they let us see a little bit of them as private persons and what I see I like a lot.

Absolutely, Gaby is also right to point out the translation because many seem to misunderstood the verb "se planter" which doesn't mean to plant. It doesn't imply someone falling at all, it just means making a mistake but she uses a very common slang expression here with a mild meaning which could explain it being lost in translation. Anyway, it is refreshing and I'd be ready to bet many athletes have had conflicting thoughts when adrenaline is running so high with such a stake as an Olympic gold. As for the training environment, well again who are we kidding, I'm sure they handled it as peacefully as they could yet no way it was not tense at times on both sides. Hopefully, she'll have a great off season, and this will be water under the bridge by then. I can't wait to see what they'll choose for the RD because I have no idea which direction they gonna go with this. I'm hoping for a come back of quirky Gaby like during their Lindy Hop amazing non touching step sequence they performed best at Internationaux de France. Her facial expressions and their fun were infectious imo.

buchjager

Rinkside
I can't wait to see what they'll choose for the RD because I have no idea which direction they gonna go with this. I'm hoping for a come back of quirky Gaby like during their Lindy Hop amazing non touching step sequence they performed best at Internationaux de France. Her facial expression and their fun was infectious imo.]

me, too. but I have to confess I am a little scared thinking of what programs we have to expect from the field... I foresee a lot of hello dolly and anything goes but I wonder what G and G have in mind. I have no clue in which direction they are going to go... I hope it will be a fun program. I was one of the few who really liked their Lindy hop/ blues Sd. I thought they were the only team that really caught the mood and character of the dances. you are so right with the non touching steps: loved it but unfortunately they never skated the program clean and they lost momentum because of that.

Bcash

Final Flight
I wonder if any Sondheim pieces could fit the required pattern. His stuff is certainly the most sophisticated.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder if any Sondheim pieces could fit the required pattern. His stuff is certainly the most sophisticated.

Sondheim's written so many things that there's bound to be something that fits - maybe from Follies or Sweeney Todd, or the patter sections of 'Not Getting Married (Today)' from Company. But I'd love them to skate to something with non-Anglophone lyrics (French, or something else unexpected).