Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 329 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Rossig

On the Ice
I love this new RD very much. I think in a couple of months it will be a masterpiece (if such a cheesy program can be called a masterpiece lol :dance2:), but I agree with the opinions that this time GG were overscored. It was unnecessary and GG didn't need it. They are such a great team that don't need the judges to help them win.

Bcash

Final Flight
The score was high, but looking at protocol I see fewer Level4s than last year, and not that many +4s and +5s, compared to what they got on average last year. So I can't straight away point to where they gained, or on which fronts the judges "overscored" them. 9.50 and 9.75 for PCS categories are also what they consistently get, and perhaps for Transition the score could be lower, but I think we agree that ideally PCS score shouldn't fluctuate much, as its makeup reflects the quality of skating honed over time. The protocol really wasn't bursting with 10s. The one noticeable flaw I saw, Gabi's flub in Pst, was likely noticed by the tech panel hence a Level 2, but then her position in that moment was kinda hard to see from the judges's angle.

Considering they are on home ice, their status right now, and the fact that their program felt and looked and sounded very different from what came before, with the crowd fully into it from the start, I wasn't surprised the judges were willing to give out good scores.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I mean at the end of the day it's ID scoring. It rarely reflects what actually happens on the ice. H/D got 84 at Skam, S/K will get 86 at Rostelecom, so they had to go 88 for P/C at IdF. Looking forward to the FD :love:

Bcash

Final Flight
I’m a little surprised that what we saw the first day of practice were really their costumes. Even to my minimalistic taste those look a bit too simple. But we’ll see how things go on camera.

Spot

On the Ice
Incredible. Honestly those two are not good for my health. I have to consciously remind myself to blink and breathe, haha!

Roast Toast

Medalist
I think this is the best build-up they've ever done in a FD, even better than the build to the RoLi in TBAH. So much emotion.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I think this is the best build-up they've ever done in a FD, even better than the build to the RoLi in TBAH. So much emotion.

Unfortunately the live stream was so bad that I have no clue how well they skated!:( Hopefully somebody will post soon ...

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
This program is so good, it's really supergood. I just love about everything. Specifically the choreographic movements they do. It's not skating, I know, but still, I love that stuff and they do it so superwell.

I do hope that they will work on the levels, and that they stop changing programs. While talking to my skating friend today, it dawned on me that in fact, I have always loved the earlier versions of their programs. All changes that I noticed, I didn't like. The first versions were for me always more with the music and more expressive and emotional and aesthetic. Obviously, the early performances were never as good or precise or mastered as the later ones, so in that sense the programs always improved. But I always preferred the first choreographies.

Even though I agree that these costumes are minimalistic, I find them good. They fit the program. I can come up with things I would like better maybe, but I don't care. The costumes here should be absolutely secondary, probably more like tertiary or lower. The less they take focus away, the better.

This program is so good. So really really good.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I do hope that they will work on the levels, and that they stop changing programs. While talking to my skating friend today, it dawned on me that in fact, I have always loved the earlier versions of their programs. All changes that I noticed, I didn't like. The first versions were for me always more with the music and more expressive and emotional and aesthetic. Obviously, the early performances were never as good or precise or mastered as the later ones, so in that sense the programs always improved. But I always preferred the first choreographies.

That's interesting! I think I agree on quite a few programs (IdF Swing SD > every other performance of that SD, GPF Oddudua > Worlds Oddudua, CoC MS is my favorite version of the program, Euros Yamagata > Worlds Yamagata). Worlds Tango RD is the obvious counter-example.

Even though I agree that these costumes are minimalistic, I find them good. They fit the program. I can come up with things I would like better maybe, but I don't care. The costumes here should be absolutely secondary, probably more like tertiary or lower. The less they take focus away, the better.

I think there is an obvious improvement... sparkles! Make it look like a starry night! :hap10:

Bcash

Final Flight
I've noticed too that I tend to prefer earlier versions of their programs. I guess such is the reality of a judged sport. You always have to take feedback from the judges which is not always best for the artistic integrity. But there are exceptions: I did find WC Oddudua the most compelling.

Speaking of compelling, their emotional commitment today, esp from Gabi, is really very much so. An uncanny mix of abandon and superior physical control. Or perhaps abandon through physical control. Their skating really fills the rink to the brim.

Gabi's choice of hairstyle today went very effectively with the simple black costumes. Made the whole look simple and pure with a dash of poetry.

esteticlove

Final Flight
I have no idea if this was the first time that GG showed their new programs, but I'm inlove with their FP.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am a bit confused about the Scores. Is it allowed to talk about it now?

Yes, as soon as their part of the competition is over it's okay to talk about the scores here.

i'm very happy with their FD. Not much to say, but very happy. Still would prefer it if they'd decided to go with Gabi in a bodysuit and a technical skirt, though.

peepsquick

Final Flight
My only "gripe" with their FD is their outfit ... the mood is already set by the music, text and movement. The black outfits are an overkill, imo.
I hope, they re-think this part ...

yuna13

On the Ice
I'm not worried about the levels cause look who was the tech controller!
Remember the infamous european 2017 sd event, you know when they had to change the ranking afterwards and no one understood the score. when i saw her name i knew G/F will get levels 4 and P/C won't.
The thing is now with the +5/-5 system it no longer matters. I remember how anxious i used to be everytime i saw her name or dotsani for tech controller.

I see the word pretentious used to talk about P/C FD and i wonder is it because they are french ? I know what people think of us or the way they talk about french art in general.
Yes in france we have different tastes and opinions when it comes to art but that doesn't mean we are pretentious.

With Gabriella and Guillaume a program doesn't feel like it lasts 4 min, i see everything , they let the movements breathe.
Right now i like P/C free and i can't wait to see it grow. Take Oddudua it's not my favourite program from them but their performance at the 2017 WC was everything . I have gossebumps just thinking about it.