Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 344 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Finally, some news!

It looks like while Gabriella and Alizée are currently in Montreal, Guillaume and Simba are visiting France to see family. An interview was just published in L'Equipe: https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...doigts-pour-les-championnats-du-monde/1193478

Key points:
  • Guillaume has been able to go back to see family in France because he got a Canadian residency permit in February and so can re-enter the country. Gabriella doesn't have the same kind of visa, so she has to stay in Montreal, which is hard for her because her grandfather died recently and her grandmother is isolating alone due to COVID-19 and she can't go to support her. Guillaume will celebrate his birthday with family before going back to Montreal for two weeks of isolation.
  • Because of the visa situation, they're not going to compete at Nationals, or at Europeans (if it even takes place), as the risk of being stranded outside Canada or stuck in different countries is too great. They're aiming for Worlds instead, to give themselves something as much like certainty as the situation currently allows for.
  • Both of them had COVID-19 in July (!) after contact with an infected person, but both came through it okay with no lung problems, just a slightly extended recovery time. But Guillaume still doesn't fully have his sense of smell back.
  • The federation is supporting them financially, so they've had a loss of income but are still able to keep training.
  • They're working on cultivating motivation, but understandably it's a bit tough.
There's another article too (https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...es-championnats-du-monde-cette-saison/1193447), but it just frames the same information a bit differently.

ETA: Jordan Cowan celebrated Guillaume's birthday by putting a P/C blooper reel up on Instagram. It's so cute! :laugh:

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing this team (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was a nice treat to see some of their training (the FD) on the Olympic instagram page stories yesterday - I don't know if they've been saved anywhere or someone was able to turn them into clips, sadly, but the tango looked good.

peepsquick

Final Flight
What programs do we think they'll do for the Olympics?
No idea! I would love to know ... I just hope that Gaby listening to the Bolero on Insta stories was not a hint! I hope they continue creating their own body of work and don't touch this one. It has already been done and it was good. Moving on ... . Just mho.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
No idea! I would love to know ... I just hope that Gaby listening to the Bolero on Insta stories was not a hint! I hope they continue creating their own body of work and don't touch this one. It has already been done and it was good. Moving on ... . Just mho.
I hope it's not Bolero either :laugh: I was looking forward to their Tango, but I hope they don't keep it. I'd love it if they learn to do something with Chinese music. They have the dance quality to do something beautiful, and I'd much rather see it from them than any other team (especially because I trust them to keep it tasteful, unlike some).

peepsquick

Final Flight
I hope it's not Bolero either :laugh: I was looking forward to their Tango, but I hope they don't keep it. I'd love it if they learn to do something with Chinese music. They have the dance quality to do something beautiful, and I'd much rather see it from them than any other team (especially because I trust them to keep it tasteful, unlike some).
The Olympics are tricky, I find. It's a more mixed public and people are more likely to fall for some razzmatazz.
I don't know what they should aim for ... . Chinese music? Why not! They'd excel at anything.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
The Olympics are tricky, I find. It's a more mixed public and people are more likely to fall for some razzmatazz.
I don't know what they should aim for ... . Chinese music? Why not! They'd excel at anything.
I guess, but I am not sure if I'd say the Asian crowds would react the same way to bombast vs something with quality skated to Asian music (here, Chinese music). Obviously, I am hoping for something beautiful from the very few Asian ID teams, but apart from them, I really only trust P/C haha. They didn't go the simple, trivial route last time either.

Jacey91

Rinkside
Is Guillaume's book going to be published in English? I am learning French, but I would prefer to read it in English. Anyway I am a new figure skating fan and it's all because of Gabriella and Guillaume. There's something about them that speaks to someone who doesn't understand all the technical things in figure skating or ice dance, but just appreciates the beauty of their dancing. It's weird because I used to watch figure skating in olympics before G&G, but I always found ice dancing boring and just watched the jumps in singles and pair skating. But there's something so mesmerizing about G&G. I have always loved ballet there's something similar about them. I can't wait for the new season. I hope they get gold in Beijing.