2014 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic

lcd

Match Penalty
Anybody who went have an idea how attendance was? This is the 3rd year for this event now, so hopefully steadily stronger, especially in the wake of the Olympics. Tickets were quite reasonably priced, though media coverage seemed somewhat modest.

GF2445

Record Breaker
From the videos, it seemed that the attendance wasn't as full like last season but it wasnt empty by no means. I hope that this ccompetition grows as they revisit salt lake city every year and maybe they will be able to move to a better complex.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If these scores are official Max will have a new Competition Personal Best as well as Short Program Personal Best after all is said and done.

My interpretation of the ISU communications is that Challenger Series events can count towards ISU SBs. From the revised criteria document:

http://static.isu.org/media/165576/1894-challenger-series_revised-criteria.pdf ...

Good news re Max Aaron:

At SLC 2014, Max earned new ISU PBs not only for Total Score and SP, but also for SP PCS and FS PCS -- as documented on his updated ISU bio pages. :yay:

Thanks to samson and BG for pointing out this benefit of the new Challenger series (and apologies again that I was unaware earlier).

(Ironically, Max had a higher SP score at SLC last year, but it did not count toward his ISU PB.)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Anybody who went have an idea how attendance was? This is the 3rd year for this event now, so hopefully steadily stronger, especially in the wake of the Olympics. Tickets were quite reasonably priced, though media coverage seemed somewhat modest.

Attendance was down from last year. No football game down the road this year so no tailgate party outside. No opportunity for cross promotion. I am told the USFSA wants this to be a low key competition. Fine with me. It was nice to sit at the men's event on Friday night and realize that every person there was there on purpose. No one wondering why Scott Hamilton wasn't skating. I enjoyed it.

Pleasant surprises for me

Brooklee Han - very self contained with a quiet style. I really enjoyed her skating.
Daisuke Murikami - I really like his programs. I hope he has good success this year. I will be watching for him again.

Off the Ice -

Mrs. Davis and Mrs. White were around for a lot of the weekend. I'm guessing they were there as part of a mentoring program. Two very classy, pretty ladies.

Someone mentioned that people looked winded at the end of their programs. We noticed that some of the skaters that looked the most winded were those who train at altitude. We concluded that it must be first of the season stamina issues.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have copied links to all the videos that I could find into the first post on the thread.

I could not find any vids of the pairs or dancers. Did anyone else find any?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
One disappointing thing about Mirai is that she actually lost a lot of points because of silly mistakes: had she made disastrous ones, her 5th place would have been acceptable, but not doing the 3Lo combo in the FS and the 2T in the FS were really points lost basically because of not being focused enough :bang:

marcolee925

Rinkside
One disappointing thing about Mirai is that she actually lost a lot of points because of silly mistakes: had she made disastrous ones, her 5th place would have been acceptable, but not doing the 3Lo combo in the FS and the 2T in the FS were really points lost basically because of not being focused enough :bang:

Yes. If she would just add a 2toe after the second 3loop, she would avoid the 30% penalty on the loop, and with the BV of 2toe would probably have done enough to vault to bronze position.

Also, was she running out of time in the end? The spirals appear to be perfectly timed. The level 4 layback would have been a simply point getter for her - but she only did a level 2 here.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have copied links to all the videos that I could find into the first post on the thread.

I could not find any vids of the pairs or dancers. Did anyone else find any?

Thanks as always, Doris. :)

Friday's Senior highlights video (SD; Ladies SP; Pairs FS; Men's FS):

[Not to be confused with the link below to Thursday's highlights video (Pairs SP and Men's SP) -- which already is in the OP.

Ladies' medal ceremony:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks, golden411!

I have 6 each of men's SP & LP and 5 of Ladies SP & LP . Plus one vid of Ronald Lam.

No pairs or dance :cry:

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
They were both enjoyable programs. They are still available On Demand on icenetwork.

Alas, I live in the wrong country for Icenetwork...... I will probably buy the pass anyway and see if it works with Hola.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Alas, I live in the wrong country for Icenetwork...... I will probably buy the pass anyway and see if it works with Hola.

It worked for me, if that's any encouragement :)

TMC

Record Breaker
It worked for me, if that's any encouragement :)

It is - also realising that I can cancel and get my money back helps a lot :laugh:

I've been testing Hola with random websites and so far the only ones it can't help me with are ABC's Dancing with the Stars videos ;)

humbaba

Final Flight
I'm :cry: too....I just really want to see Titanic vs. Gone with the Wind!

Both these programs were very enjoyable. I love how both the ladies referenced their character in the color of the costume, not the style. Not an Edwardian or 19th C. Southern Bell dress, but a "rose" and "scarlet" colored dress. So cool.