Marin Honda | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Marin Honda

blackey

On the Ice
Quad? Oh... She's a fighter..
Is she going to get 3A?

Didn't mention that in this interview. But I think on a interview after she won WJC, she said she will practice 3a and 4s this summer.
:scratch2: don't know if she is going to have growth sprout next season? She seems already grew a lot last season..
Anyways, I'm looking forward to see what she will do in the future:agree:

yhmafan

Medalist
I am getting excited to hear that.
Maybe it is easier to get a 4S than to get a 3A...but I am willing to see those big jumps, especially a 3A from Marin in the future :luv17:

ioanna

Record Breaker
In my opinion she doesn't need to practice quads or triple axels right now... it's not like she is consistent with the current layout. I'm not sure if Mie Hamada will approve of her plans since she isn't entirely pleased with the way she's practicing.

yhmafan

Medalist
In my opinion she doesn't need to practice quads or triple axels right now... it's not like she is consistent with the current layout. I'm not sure if Mie Hamada will approve of her plans since she isn't entirely pleased with the way she's practicing.

But if Marin wants to get them for her layout, it will be too late if she doesn’t practice now? Since Mao landed her 3A when she was 12 y/o in competition already as the example. :think:

Last edited:

mcq

Record Breaker
I love her. And to be frank, if the new upcoming junior ladies don't come up with big technical elements (like 3A or quads), would the judges even look at them? There is already medvedeva and tsurskaya (in junior) internationally and Miyahara and Mao in Team Japan, so I can see why she try this approach if she wants to be a podium contender once she compete in senior.

ioanna

Record Breaker
But if Marin wants to get them for her layout, it will be too late if she doesn’t practice now? Since Mao landed her 3A when she was 12 y/o in competition already as the example. :think:

The rules were different then. Right now consistent 3-3 combinations are worth more than 3A attempts. Especially 3-3 in the second half of the program. Back then most of the ladies were jumping 3-2 combinations. I'd have no problem with Wakaba Higuchi practicing 3A because she has solid jumps and she's been pretty consistent for 2 seasons in a row. She actually practiced the 3A and even said she planned on introducing it in her programs this season but it didn't happen. It's not that easy. Marin on the other hand, she may have peaked at the most important competitions this season but she had terrible results domestically. I don't know if that can go on forever.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Marin's triple salchow is very solid and has a good distance and height. If she tries 4S, even though there is no guarantee for the attempt, she could get better results than attempting 3A. However, her toe jumps are much weaker than her edge jumps, so I think she needs to stabilize her toe jumps first.

blackey

On the Ice

I think nobody is really consistent now, they all make mistakes here and there, try to think of someone who did two perfect programs in one competition? Very few. Marin's inconsistency (She is not really that inconsistent compare to some other junior kids lol) this season is partly due to her growth sprout, and she is still a kid. The guys are doing crazy thing to day, I kinda wanna see that in ladies, too. If the new generation is not going to quad and 3a, it's just boring. Plus, Marin already practiced 4s last summer, there was a video about that.

yhmafan

Medalist
The rules were different then. Right now consistent 3-3 combinations are worth more than 3A attempts. Especially 3-3 in the second half of the program. Back then most of the ladies were jumping 3-2 combinations. I'd have no problem with Wakaba Higuchi practicing 3A because she has solid jumps and she's been pretty consistent for 2 seasons in a row. She actually practiced the 3A and even said she planned on introducing it in her programs this season but it didn't happen. It's not that easy. Marin on the other hand, she may have peaked at the most important competitions this season but she had terrible results domestically. I don't know if that can go on forever.

Thanks. I am kinda sad since the rules doesn't encourage the hard elements as much as they deserved.
I feel like there is no ladies would challenge a 3A and even a quad in the future and slightly getting boring at the ladies field, unlike men's, after Mao retired.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Video from April 28th - could somebody translate what Marin said and what kind of awards were those?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mySTTiX4yYc

JSF end of season awards for skaters with remarkable results this season. They asked Marin about her opinion on this season and she said that overall, her season was regrettable. While she won Jr Worlds and medaled at GPF, she mentions that her performances at Jr Nationals, Sr Nationals and other competitions were regrettable.

boskil

Match Penalty
JSF end of season awards for skaters with remarkable results this season. They asked Marin about her opinion on this season and she said that overall, her season was regrettable. While she won Jr Worlds and medaled at GPF, she mentions that her performances at Jr Nationals, Sr Nationals and other competitions were regrettable.
Ambitious girl. World championship, bronze medal at GPF and she is not satisfied. Wow. :thumbsup:

bluelutz

On the Ice
That doesn't really makes sense....Why use something you don't like to overcome your weakness?

Or am I missing the point here?

Because the music she did not like were not bad music, but she did not like the genre.
Her coach selected several pieces of music for her,
and they listened to them together for her new competitive programs.
She did not like some of them as she did not dig them, or she was not familiar with them.
It is natural that most of 14 years old girl do not understand how good Jazz, blues, tango or many other types of music are.

Her this season's SP was "Spring Sonata" which was very pretty music, and could please everybody.
On the other hand, her LP "Beatle Juice", which I think the choreographer, Tom Dickson's choice, was not for everybody's taste.
However, the latter was very unique, intrigue and intricate piece, which could help skaters to develop their own skills of expression/interpretation.
If skaters skate to only one type of music all the time, it would limit their ability to express themselves.
That is why coaches throw different types of music to their skaters, hoping they would grow as an artist.

"She would like to overcome her weakness" means that she would like to be a skater who can express/interpret any kind of music, or an artist who can express/interpret many different types/styles/genres of music, not just pretty ones or pop ones.
And she and her coach like to do that by choosing the genre of music she does not dig very well or she is not very familiar with.

Does it make a sense to you now?

Last edited:

tinnychan

On the Ice
Her SP music will be "Smile":)
as same as Mao Asada 2013-14 (Sochi Olympic) season exhibition music