Marin Honda | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Marin Honda

NMURA

Medalist

Those attempts are about 3.3 revolutions, but the coach Mie Hamada says that Marin can rotate up to 3.5 revolutions in everyday practices. Her own comment (05:58) -- "even if it's not clean, I want to land it in this season". The goal in the immediate future is landing a 3.5+ salchow without falling, I guess.

Although there's no video, Marin is also practicing the 3A. In an interview in July, she has said that both the quad and the 3A are underrotated but she wants to include them in the programs as soon as possible. Therefore, she is not solely concentrating on the quad.

Meoima

Match Penalty
But I am not sure it's good for her body to learn the quad and 3A that young. I mean, look at Liza Tuk. :think:

shine

Record Breaker
Mie Hamada really knows how to develop things like arm placement, body awareness, posture, musicality, and soft and quiet edges in her skaters. Yukina Ota, Satoko Miyahara, now Marin Honda - all exceptional. I was definitely not surprised to find out Honda is coached by Mie Hamada! I'm also happy that Miyahara has someone in their camp to continue to push her!

NMURA

Medalist
I think learning difficults jumps ("quad" or 3A) is helpful to make easier jumps (like 3Lz-3T) more solid and perfect. Marin has one more year to push the technical boundaries without caring much about points and standings. How far she could get will determine her options when she makes junior debut.

angelfacehanyu

Match Penalty
there has never been a skater with spectacular jump abilities as young as novice like her. doing 3.5 revolutions at novice level is unbelievable for a female skater.

inskate

On the Ice
Asada landed her first 3A at age 12 and did 3F-3Lo for years, and no one is asking about how hazardous it was to her growing body.

Some people were complaining for years! :laugh: Curiously enough, both Mao and Miki (or rather, their coaches) said that the most damaging thing they did to their bodies was doing too many Biellmans when they were young. They both ended up with chronic back injuries because of that, and towards the later part of their careers they both mentioned that practising spins was more painful/difficult than practising jumps. One combo that didn't work for Mao was 3L-3L - she could land it and had planned to put it in her programs post-Vancouver, but it aggravated her back injury.

But I am not sure it's good for her body to learn the quad and 3A that young. I mean, look at Liza Tuk. :think:

I don't think practising 3A has hurt Liza's skating as much as sudden change of body type, too much pressure and confidence issues.

As for Marin - her basic triples technique is very good, so spending some time on new challenges shouldn't hurt her too much. It's a good time to try something new without too much pressure. I think her team has her safety in their best interests and hopefully they will keep Marin's practice sessions safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEgPt-faII

At the age of 13 or 14, Mao tried the 4S (about 3.5 revolutions).

IIRC she practised the quad when she was 12-13, at 14 she practised 4L (and wasn't attempting 3S in her programs anymore until 2008).

jkun

Final Flight
I think learning difficults jumps ("quad" or 3A) is helpful to make easier jumps (like 3Lz-3T) more solid and perfect. Marin has one more year to push the technical boundaries without caring much about points and standings. How far she could get will determine her options when she makes junior debut.

I disagree with this so much. Training Quads and 3A increases chance of injury and takes time away from other important combinations like 3-3s. For example, Mao had very solid 3-3 before she insisted on always doing 3A.

foruiz

Final Flight
She looks very promising indeed, I will be putting her on my radar from now on.:)

angelfacehanyu

Match Penalty
I disagree with this so much. Training Quads and 3A increases chance of injury and takes time away from other important combinations like 3-3s. For example, Mao had very solid 3-3 before she insisted on always doing 3A.

Thing with Marin is that her 3-3 jumps are almost perfected because her success rates are very high and she gets alot of GOE for her jumps anyway.
So the next thing on her challenge is really 3a and quads, because she mastered alll there is to master really. its textbook perfect for a novice skater.

NMURA

Medalist
Marin (and Wakaba) are virtually guaranteed spots at international competitions until 2017. They can afford a few mistakes and pursue technical ambitions. Higuchi's comment on the 3A was inspired by Marin. Even Miyahara is trying the 3A now (she had expressed a "wish" for the 3A two years ago though). In Japan, a "star" is expected to push technical boundaries even at the cost of immediate results. The 3Lz-3T is just a starting block. When you have it, the next step is obvious.