Marin Honda | Page 57 | Golden Skate

Marin Honda

leoleo

Medalist
Marin was robbed of pcs scores (give her the SS points she deserves you cowards :curse:) but i am happy to see her skate clean and be so happy of herself. If she keeps the same energy in the free she can definitely podium. I'm really appreciative of how supportive Raf is of her, he seems to have really high hopes for her. He is very encouraging.
I'm sad she changed the biker princess dress:(, it fits the SP so well. This one not so much.

Go Marin, let's skate clean in the free!

laiyamanika

On the Ice
I really like Marin's SP. She was having fun with her program and it was wonderful to watch. Too bad about the UR but I am not really worried about it. She can make up for it in her FS. I just hope she also skates clean in her FS. She still can place in the podium.

Congratulations to Shae-Lynn Borne for another wonderful program.

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
I LOVED Marin's SP. It is amazing how artistic she is. Obviously she was robbed in PCS, I will not argue about TES because the technical panel was strict with practically (almost) everyone. Good luck for the Free :hap10:

pandatours

On the Ice
Hard to watch her FS. She looked very winded afterwards. Maybe her boot was rubbing against her foot awkwardly too?

I do love her hand slap with RAF in the beginning and I won’t give up hope yet. Raf is tough but I remember him saying in an interview regarding Marin’s previous coaches’ comments that it is up to a coach to help motivate a skater when times are tough. Every competition is just one part, one step of the journey.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I hope Marin takes this competition as a challenge to be better rather than beat herself up with the mistakes. There's no other place to go rather than go forward~

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
She's a beautiful skater. Definitely wins best dress for the LP. Hopefully she'll pull herself together. After Russia, Japan has soooo many contenders, I hope Marin isn't lost in the talent pool there.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
In the interview on Japanese TV, she said she rolled her ankle on the first jump.

I'm not surprised. You can clearly see the roll in the landing, especially in slow motion. It was a nasty fall. I hope it heals up quick because she is a much better skater and competitor than that free skate.

Even with the wonky jumps, that LP is still a beauty. Her bodily awareness and command of the choreo and musicality are all fantastic.

combinationspin

On the Ice
I brought myself to rewatch Marin’s LP from SA and yeah, apart from the jumps, it was still a very beautiful performance. I actually think the interpretation here was better than at Nebelhorn. Marin never let go of the performance nor started to omit choreographical details. Her movements were at no point frantic but always stayed serene. She even smiled a few times after the first couple of jumping mistakes. I guess she must be really into the programm. And it shows how she has grown from last season and her junior days.

Amef

Final Flight
She has the best skating skills in the business. Fast, light, perfect flow. It's the spins and the jumps that are the problem. Maybe she could gain more muscle to jump higher.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I brought myself to rewatch Marin’s LP from SA and yeah, apart from the jumps, it was still a very beautiful performance. I actually think the interpretation here was better than at Nebelhorn. Marin never let go of the performance nor started to omit choreographical details. Her movements were at no point frantic but always stayed serene. She even smiled a few times after the first couple of jumping mistakes. I guess she must be really into the programm. And it shows how she has grown from last season and her junior days.

I thought so too if it was a meltdown it was a very beautiful one, she just kept performing like nothing happened :thumbsup:

I hope she knows how special she is and that she will keep fighting.

She has the best skating skills in the business. Fast, light, perfect flow. It's the spins and the jumps that are the problem. Maybe she could gain more muscle to jump higher.

I am sure they are working on that too as well as the technique itself but Rome was not built in a day. I think Raf said from the start that it'd unrealistic to expect any results sooner than in an year or even two.
I think it must be tough to compete while re-working jump technique. Skates like that are expected but so hard on the skater's confidence :sad21:

ArgieFan

Rinkside
I can't avoid to see again and again Marin's FS in SA. She made at least 6 mistakes, the first of which was a fatal sub rotation of almost 180 degrees in the first 3T, which probably produced a "chain reaction". However, the program developed tinged with a paradoxical beauty. Marin was more beautiful than ever, the sequences of steps were pretty and the precious melody seems related more to the drama that Marin was living than the original story. Marin kept her dignity, like a defeated princess and did not stop. In my memory, the program seems to run in slow motion, under a lazy rain of rose petals. Only Marin can transform 95 points into tragic poetry. The most wonderful thing was her serene acceptance of the disaster. Marin seemed to mature at that moment and I could see in her expression and in her silence the acceptance of all the work she would have to do to reach the height that naturally corresponds to her.

Ballade88

On the Ice
I always thought Marin was a lovely skater but wasn't really a fan until I saw her SP this season. I think this is her best program so far. The music, choreography, and her performance of the program at Skate America were fabulous! There were tech issues but that SP deserved higher PCS.

skateyamada

On the Ice
Sometimes I think it is a mentality thing with Marin. When seeing her jump in practice clips and stuff like that her jumps have more strength in them. When I see her skate in competition it sometimes feels as though she pulls her strength in at last minute as she jumps like she is afraid.

ArgieFan

Rinkside
I think Marin simply lacks training. The training takes control of the body at the moment of the competition. The doubts that the skater may have at a conscious level cannot interfere with the sequence of memorized commands that reach the muscles. But when the training is insufficient the skater is directed by a conflicting mixture of conscious orders and the others, subconscious, recorded by the training. And that's when disasters happen.

For example: skaters feel when they don't turn fast enough to make a landing in line with the trajectory. They then brake the turn by extending the free leg and reduce the turns by 1 turn, degrading the jump but not falling. No doubt Marin felt she lacked angular speed in his first 3T of SA2018 (180° underrotated!), but she consciously ignored the warning, instead of degrading the jump. It is an example of conflict between conscious and subconscious control. That is fixed by simply training more.

Last edited:

RoseNightingale

Rinkside
Gosh, I really liked her FS! She is so graceful and beautiful despite the mistakes. And the dress is lovely. She has become my fave Japanese skater. I felt so bad for her at SA.