Marin Honda | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Marin Honda

pandatours

On the Ice
We'll see her standings after the season. She could be given a spot for the spring events. I highly doubt jsf will try to push her with that 15th placement and there's talk that they disapprove her coach change.

I’m sure they disapprove, but IIRC Raf said that he and Marin’s dad agreed that Raf would be allowed two years with her. Who knows though. I think being away from all the noise and attention is helpful right now so she can focus on her skating

rnois13

On the Ice
I’m sure they disapprove, but IIRC Raf said that he and Marin’s dad agreed that Raf would be allowed two years with her. Who knows though. I think being away from all the noise and attention is helpful right now so she can focus on her skating
Welp, that's too bad jsf views that way. Fans who also disapprove of the move thinks she deserved to be judged critically with an air of punishment to her and her family. Part of me wish she would skate for France but it's an impossible dream. Japan is her home and people mostly seem supportive no matter.
I hope she will believe in herself and grow out of what's setting her back.

combinationspin

On the Ice

Why would they disapprove of her coaching change? Would they have preferred her staying with Hamada? IMO it was clear that Hamada’s jumping technique started to fail her and thus she went to the best technician available. However, at Nationals it looked like she had little confidence in all of her jumps, which was a quite disturbing to see. They looked so much better at GP France a couple of weeks ago, I wonder what happened ....

No assignments for Marin. She's added to the cast of PIW in Nagano, Jan 19-20
No assignments is a tough but fair result considering what happened IMO. Marin needs a complete game changer for a comeback next season, though. I’m crossing my finger but I’m not sure about her motivation at this point tbh.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I think this is the perfect time for Marin to laser-focus on working on her jump technique whilst not having to worry about competing.
I am worrying about what her motivation is at this time though. I hope she looks over this nationals and see that almost everyone is rebuilding and that there is still time to work on things before Beijing.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Why would they disapprove of her coaching change? Would they have preferred her staying with Hamada? IMO it was clear that Hamada’s jumping technique started to fail her and thus she went to the best technician available. However, at Nationals it looked like she had little confidence in all of her jumps, which was a quite disturbing to see. They looked so much better at GP France a couple of weeks ago, I wonder what happened ....

Seems eerily similar to the case of Zhenya Medvedeva when she left Eteri to Brian Orser's team. Notice also that both Marin and Zhenya are struggling under their new coaches - which honestly is to be expected with major upheavals, adaptations to new training methods and new environment. Give them time. The Rus Fed leaders from what I understand are also not happy with Zhenya's switch even though Zhenya herself felt that her old techniques will no longer serve her in the longer run. Marin is facing the same challenge. I think we will see an improved Marin coming through next season - she has so much to show.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am heartbroken for Marin but i hope she will stay on with Raf, isnt a 2 year contract anyway? Its totally normal that in a pressure cooker situation, a new jump technique fails her, she needs more mileage but it must be so hard not to give up...

Tutto

Record Breaker
Just another thought, Michal didnt show any improvement in his first year under Raf, and look at him now!

Tsurara

On the Ice
can anyone translate what she said in this article? https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20181226-00000038-dal-spo

Let me skip the introduction part, there is nothing new if you're following her news.

(about ending up at 15th place at Nats), But she admits that this is where she stands now.
"I'm not at all satisfied with the result, but feels like I've actually skated more than I did last year," said Marin, as if she were trying to convince herself, and made a smile.

(a simple explanation on switching the coach and how she isn't achieving results)
"I knew it would turn out like this and I was prepared for it."
"I do feel frustrated that I want to be able to skate like the other top skaters as soon as possible. I've got so many different thoughts/emotions inside. I could perform the way I wanted to as a junior skater, but after moving up to senior, there are many things that just don't go well," she revealed her honest feeling, while trying to organize her thoughts.

Sometimes she finds herself wanting to escape from the reality. Then she remembers a phrase sent by her younger sister, actress and skater, Miyu, and she stops herself. "Miyu said to me, 'Escaping only leads you to a dead-end.'"

She did gain some in the last half year in the States.
"Before (leaving for the States), when I felt good skating, I had a great condition (for practice/training), but when I didn't feel so, it never worked and it felt like as if I wasn't practicing at all."
She used to be able to successfully execute what she couldn't when practicing. That is why she lacked some strong emotions that every athlete generally has. "I had never had a worse performance than how I did in practice before, and I lacked such emotions, like feeling disappointed/frustrated or pleased (at my performance)."

Under Coach Arutunian, who is known for his strict coaching, she feels, "Compared to how it was before, I'm doing better at practicing phase." That makes it even harder for her that she can't deliver it (in competition) the way she wants to. "I experienced for the very first time that I couldn't deliver what I could in competition. And because of that, I now understand what it's like to have this disappointed feeling for the first time, and now I finally think I really want to deliver a good performance that I can be pleased with from the bottom of my heart," she grew "thirst" required for an expressionist.

During the Nationals, Coach Arutunian said to her, "This is yet a preparation phase, until the season we're aiming for comes. This season is just a warming-up for the target season. Let's pile up experiences like this for now." And he recognized her performance saying "You did better than I expected this season."
"It didn't go as I wanted it to, though," she said with a bitter smile, "but for now, I'm throwing away my inclinations, and I just want to trust my coach and people around me and try my best," she looked ahead to the next season.

"I think what I need right now is to remind myself of happy feelings and how I wanted to win." Her ordeal may continue. But, "Even if it doesn't go well now, this is the path I chose for myself and I'm prepared for it. I want to believe in it and do my best without trying to get away." (She or the writer, unknown or both) believes that she can find a place to shine again beyond the thorns.

Please keep in mind that the writer blurs the line between what she actually said and what the writer interpreted or altered to make it sound fancy, and it's very hard to tell if the writer's interpretation is correct or not or if her words with quotation marks are used in the right context. That said, I'm sure that the writer loves Marin.

I'm wishing her the best of luck, hoping to see her again with a strong come back, no matter what people say. Be patient, Marin!

combinationspin

On the Ice
Let me skip the introduction part, there is nothing new if you're following her news.

(about ending up at 15th place at Nats), But she admits that this is where she stands now.
"I'm not at all satisfied with the result, but feels like I've actually skated more than I did last year," said Marin, as if she were trying to convince herself, and made a smile.

(a simple explanation on switching the coach and how she isn't achieving results)
"I knew it would turn out like this and I was prepared for it."
"I do feel frustrated that I want to be able to skate like the other top skaters as soon as possible. I've got so many different thoughts/emotions inside. I could perform the way I wanted to as a junior skater, but after moving up to senior, there are many things that just don't go well," she revealed her honest feeling, while trying to organize her thoughts.

Sometimes she finds herself wanting to escape from the reality. Then she remembers a phrase sent by her younger sister, actress and skater, Miyu, and she stops herself. "Miyu said to me, 'Escaping only leads you to a dead-end.'"

She did gain some in the last half year in the States.
"Before (leaving for the States), when I felt good skating, I had a great condition (for practice/training), but when I didn't feel so, it never worked and it felt like as if I wasn't practicing at all."
She used to be able to successfully execute what she couldn't when practicing. That is why she lacked some strong emotions that every athlete generally has. "I had never had a worse performance than how I did in practice before, and I lacked such emotions, like feeling disappointed/frustrated or pleased (at my performance)."

Under Coach Arutunian, who is known for his strict coaching, she feels, "Compared to how it was before, I'm doing better at practicing phase." That makes it even harder for her that she can't deliver it (in competition) the way she wants to. "I experienced for the very first time that I couldn't deliver what I could in competition. And because of that, I now understand what it's like to have this disappointed feeling for the first time, and now I finally think I really want to deliver a good performance that I can be pleased with from the bottom of my heart," she grew "thirst" required for an expressionist.

During the Nationals, Coach Arutunian said to her, "This is yet a preparation phase, until the season we're aiming for comes. This season is just a warming-up for the target season. Let's pile up experiences like this for now." And he recognized her performance saying "You did better than I expected this season."
"It didn't go as I wanted it to, though," she said with a bitter smile, "but for now, I'm throwing away my inclinations, and I just want to trust my coach and people around me and try my best," she looked ahead to the next season.

"I think what I need right now is to remind myself of happy feelings and how I wanted to win." Her ordeal may continue. But, "Even if it doesn't go well now, this is the path I chose for myself and I'm prepared for it. I want to believe in it and do my best without trying to get away." (She or the writer, unknown or both) believes that she can find a place to shine again beyond the thorns.

Please keep in mind that the writer blurs the line between what she actually said and what the writer interpreted or altered to make it sound fancy, and it's very hard to tell if the writer's interpretation is correct or not or if her words with quotation marks are used in the right context. That said, I'm sure that the writer loves Marin.

I'm wishing her the best of luck, hoping to see her again with a strong come back, no matter what people say. Be patient, Marin!

Thank you so much, very interesting and informative!

Tutto

Record Breaker
@Tsurara -many thanks for your time and effort! I am glad Marin is realistic about her situation and not going to leave Raf

sun110

Final Flight
Thanks for the translation. Wow so before she always competed better than she practiced? That must be very rare but also may affect her mentality during practice.

Tsurara

On the Ice
Thanks for the translation. Wow so before she always competed better than she practiced? That must be very rare but also may affect her mentality during practice.
That's what the article says she said, though I can't vouch for it.

ArgieFan

Rinkside
Thank you for your translation. I'm worried about Marin, and I was afraid she would get depressed and give up her career. She is my very favorite skater.

pandatours

On the Ice
Thank you for your translation. I'm worried about Marin, and I was afraid she would get depressed and give up her career. She is my very favorite skater.

I worry about this too but Raf has said before that part of being a coach is helping to motivate, but the rest is the athlete. I think she is learning that her natural talent is only going so far...switching coaches was a signal to me that she is prepared to fight for her career.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
^

I hope you’re right. As a skater she has so much to give, talent like that shouldn’t go away. :(

ArgieFan

Rinkside
I think she is realizing that her natural talent is not enough, that she also needs to train hard. To put it simply: Marin needs more physical strength. For the last two years she has been gaining weight (and becoming more beautiful) due to growth but her strength has not grown. That's why her subrotations. She has also gained psychological strength: in spite of the last disappointments, in the last K&C she has been serene.

rnois13

On the Ice
Thank you for your translation. :pray: I realize this season is a good experience for her even though the result is not good. I can't believe Raf said it turned out better than he expected lol
I'm also afraid of her quitting but she seems to be aware of the progress that she's making and she has repeatedly said she trusts Raf.
Speaking of Raf, did anyone catch Michal's Instalive on the new ice rink? It looks almost complete. I thought I might get a solid confirmation from Mr. Kwu if team Raf is moving there and he replied, "Possibly." :sarcasm:

Nagoya Festival happened this weekend and fans gave Marin positive reviews. She received so many gifts and interacted with everyone. I hope there's a telecast.