Marin Honda | Page 60 | Golden Skate

Marin Honda

CeciGaby

Rinkside
After I heard Michael Brezina talking about how hard Marin trains I kinda feel more confident that she is in the right path, after all Raf said that Michael at first he was kinda lazy (just like people say Marin is/was) but one that he understood that only with hard training he would achive the results then he changed, in the particular situation of Marin I feel like she is surronted by people that value her, It sounds kinda ugly but I wanna see her fight for her spot on GP, not with stress or extremely nervous but with determination. I also desire new programs, just because I feel she has not reach her signature program like SEIMEI of Yuzu, my best wishes to Marin on this next season.

rnois13

On the Ice
I'm honestly happy with Michal saying good things about Marin in Jack Gallagher's show lol Though not everyone is patient with her work, I hope she's patient with herself and continue to keep trying in surmounting each difficulty, so she becomes stronger and self assured with her jumps. I'm looking forward to her new programs. There's a rumour that she is doing Ave Maria :confused: we'll see
Looks like she's heading back to California from her latest story.

rnois13

On the Ice
Marin is in RTC getting a new program by Lori Nichol. She posted a porcupine sticker under her boot Lori gave her for luck.

CeciGaby

Rinkside
I agree with you

This was from Lori's instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/BwKpwoAHezM/

That's an ambitious plan with the 3F3Lo but I am confident she can do that next season.

I think the same, I found 3F3Lo a lot more realistic that 3lz3Lo, I kinda feel Lutz is her least favourite jump , now that we know that Lori is doing her FS I'm more intrigued if Marin will keep her SP, if not I'm 100% she'll return to Shae for a new short, after all Marin loves Shae programs styles

rnois13

On the Ice
Marin dropped a nice easter egg a few days ago, her new program is La La Land: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwgkEaJHXM7/

I hope her main track is Another Day of Sun. I think the theme suits her fun, exuberant, spontaneous personality. Marin lights up to music that creates a joyful spectacle. It may also inspire her since she trains in SoCal for a year now. Add Marin's magnetic charisma and skating skills, I think it could be wonderful.

rnois13

On the Ice
JSF won't be giving initial priority for Marin next season which isn't shocking. She's already moving forward, training everyday to improve and aiming for the long run.

It's annoying that the media still unnecessarily put her name and photo up on the headlines as clickbait. They don't worry about her feeling scrutinized and pressured when she's just trying to figure it out like everybody else.

pandatours

On the Ice
Despite everything, I am still hopeful that Raf is a good fit for her. His new rink will provide a good environment for Marin to focus and we know his team has prepared a thorough two year plan. I will trust the process (for now) and just hope that Marin is happy

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Despite everything, I am still hopeful that Raf is a good fit for her. His new rink will provide a good environment for Marin to focus and we know his team has prepared a thorough two year plan. I will trust the process (for now) and just hope that Marin is happy

Hope so as well. Marin is such a beautiful skater. She has so much talent. I hope he can help her with her jumps. I have trust in him.

rnois13

On the Ice
Marin will keep 7NA as her SP, as she should. I think it's great that she is settling with Shae and Lori.

According to fan reports her La La Land medley in order are:
-Someone in the Crowd
-Planetarium
-Another Day of Sun

vitamintea

On the Ice
So Marin's World Standing right now is 28 and her SB is 32. Given that she wasn't on the list of Japanese skaters (the strengthened/special skater list), does that mean she won't get any GP assignments? I don't suppose they would use the host pick on her for NHK? That would be such a shame though, if she were to miss out! :(

Happy Skates

Final Flight
So Marin's World Standing right now is 28 and her SB is 32. Given that she wasn't on the list of Japanese skaters (the strengthened/special skater list), does that mean she won't get any GP assignments? I don't suppose they would use the host pick on her for NHK? That would be such a shame though, if she were to miss out! :(

At a SB of 32, with so many Russians ahead of her on the SB list that (sadly) won't get GP spots due to there being too many of them or being a junior, and so much overlap between worlds competitors and SB list, she has a great chance of being assigned a GP spot imo, and hopefully she'll get at least one. I think there were people this year who were lower than that on the SB list and still got 1-2 GP spots, so she should be alright I think.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
At a SB of 32, with so many Russians ahead of her on the SB list that (sadly) won't get GP spots due to there being too many of them or being a junior, and so much overlap between worlds competitors and SB list, she has a great chance of being assigned a GP spot imo, and hopefully she'll get at least one. I think there were people this year who were lower than that on the SB list and still got 1-2 GP spots, so she should be alright I think.

I'm hoping that JSF at least gives her a host spot on NHK. A Marin-less GP season feels wrong to me.

Do you guys know why Marin has been having not the best past 2 seasons? I only discovered her this past year and I love her skating so much. She has so much charisma! I love her SP and her past Junior Worlds performances I watched.

Is it the change in coaches or puberty? She seemed pretty consistent in her Junior Worlds that I watched, but it was so hard for her to have clean programs this season. I would love for her to start skating clean. She has great potential IMO.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Do you guys know why Marin has been having not the best past 2 seasons? I only discovered her this past year and I love her skating so much. She has so much charisma! I love her SP and her past Junior Worlds performances I watched.

Is it the change in coaches or puberty? She seemed pretty consistent in her Junior Worlds that I watched, but it was so hard for her to have clean programs this season. I would love for her to start skating clean. She has great potential IMO.

I believe she also had some recurring injury - foot or ankle - I don’t remember exactly to her flip/lutz picking foot. I’m not sure if she is still suffering from it or not.

Tsurara

On the Ice
Here is a translation of an article from Nikkan Sports published last month
---
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201904290000716.html

Marin Honda: Demoted in the first year of Reiwa, but vows to "Be Myself" [April 30, 2019]
(Photo taken on December 21, 2018)

<Skaters (who are ready to) fly high in Reiwa: Marin Honda>

In this serialization of "Skaters fly high in Reiwa", we have featured athletes who swear to revenge themselves for their last season results in Heisei era. The last article is on Marin Honda (17 yrs old, JAL) from Ladies Single. In her second year after relocating to the United States, she continues to seek a path to success, taking a lot of perseverance again in the coming first Reiwa year.

In December, 2018, when the year was coming to an end, Japan National Figure Skating Championship was held at Towa Pharmaceutical Ractab Dome in Osaka. Honda had a rough start in short program, placing 18th, and finished 15th over all. It was two years ago in the same rink that she competed with senior skaters and placed 4th. Even though the place she now stands is not something we could imagine before, the 17 years old high school student spoke out honestly without running away.

"I knew this was going to happen and I was prepared when I made the decision (to relocate to the US). I'd like to continue to strive, not allowing myself to rot. I couldn't perform well this season, but I hope I'll get used to it little by little. I may need a bit more time, but I think I've been able to engage with figure skating more than I was last year."

At 2017 Junior World Championship, a year before PyeongChang Olympics, she placed 2nd behind Alina Zagitova (Russia), who later won the Olympic gold medal. Attracting a great amount of attention beyond the skating world, she debuted on the senior, but she couldn't make it to the Olympics. "I want to develop my potential. I now know how hard it is to participate in the Olympics. Casually wanting it doesn't work. I have to work extremely hard for 4 years." With such a determination, she crossed the ocean in spring 2018 with her brother, Taichi (20 yrs old, Kansai Univ), who also dedicates himself to skating.

Currently they are based in Los Angeles, USA, training under Rafael Arutunian (61 yrs old). He's been coaching Nathan Chen (19 yrs old, USA), who won two consecutive world titles, and others. (They say that) his consistent coaching based on his policy has something in common with her ex-coach, Mie Hamada (59 yrs old). On the other hand, the jumps he teaches has a significant technical difference, as if trying to climb up the same mountain from the complete opposite direction. Taichi, who's also been struggling in the new environment just like his sister, says:

"To be honest, I never imagined a jump could be this much different. Even if it (the jumping method) doesn't fit me perfectly, I had expected myself to manage landing (a triple axel) somehow. But I can't even do that. I'm sure Marin finds it tough, too"

The time difference between the two time zones is either 16 or 17 hours depending on whether it's DST or not. Her sister and actress, Miyu (14 yrs old, Kansai Univ Junior High in Osaka) said, "Our time is completely opposite, and we always end up calling them at midnight. The one and only good timing is our afternoon at 3 pm, but it's quite hard (to find time to make a phone call then)..." 3 pm in Japan should be either their 10 or 11 pm the day before in Los Angeles.

Honda spends every day committed to skating, devoting time from morning to night, and her time to be in touch with her family and friends in Japan is limited. At home alone with her brother, she realized that they started talking about figure skating more, which is hardly a topic they used to choose when they were in Japan. They discuss their opinions on technical or mental things, and often stay silent otherwise. She's been to Angel Stadium of Anaheim about 20 mins drive from home to watch baseball, but her time is limited to enjoy a breather. Behind the smiles they showed in public, the two were facing the gap between ideal and reality.

Coach Arutunian has always said to them, "The first year won't go well. It'll take 2 to 3 years." They understood it well in their heads, but it must have taken them time to actually shift completely to the reality. After the Japan Nationals that represented their struggles in the States, she put aside her pride, and said, recollecting what her coach told her:
"Still I was somewhat impatient too and wanted it to go well. But I got over with it after Nats. I'm starting from scratch. Little by little, I would like to be able to demonstrate in competition what I've been doing in training."

Both 2019 4CC held in Anaheim in the vicinity of her current home and 2019 WC hosted by her home country were out of her reach. She is demoted from the list of JSF designated skaters for the next season in the first Reiwa year. Yet, she is not demoralized. She showed her new free program for the first time using the music from "La La Land" at an ice show at the end of April, and made a vow, "It's a well-known number, but (I want to perform) joyfully, like myself. I'd like to step up more."

When Honda was still a junior skater, I once heard her say, "I was called 'a master mud ball crafter' when I was in kindergarten." To avoid ruining her mud ball by rain, she hid it in a secret spot to herself in the kindergarten's playground and spent a week crafting a perfect one.

"To make a nice mud ball, it's better to find soil found deep beneath the feet instead of sand on the surface. So, I tried hard and dug deep in the sandbox... Devoting a week, you can craft a real shiny one."

Perhaps she is currently just like the mud ball that is long waiting to become "shiny" in a hidden spot, putting up with the rain. She is now hardening the soil, along with her brother, who failed to advance to the free at Nats this season.【Wataru Matsumoto】
---

I'm sure you all have seen her instagram photos and a lot of fan tweets on her with Shoma and Tomono at PIW, but she looks great as ever.
I hope she'll shine again in competition too soon.