Maria Sotskova | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Maria Sotskova

Aleksey

Rinkside
And another interview, a little bit more extended: http://mir24.tv/news/sport/13901844

My translation for non-Russian speaking audience :)

Hello! Our guest today is the winner and medalist of international competitions, a talented figure skater, master of sports, member of the Russian national team, Maria Sotskova.

Maria, very soon you’ll take part in the Second Youth Olympic Winter Games, in Lillehammer. What do you feel before, perhaps, one of the main starts of the current season?

M.S.: I am very happy that I managed to qualify for the Olympics. And now I prepare for this competition actively, I train hard every day.

For many athletes the Olympics is a peak of career. Youth Olympic Games - is, maybe, a kind of rehearsal before the further Olympic Games.

M.S.: They say, that Olympic Games is an unusual sportive event. It is a completely different atmosphere there. Of course, it is very interesting to feel these sensations.

In Youth Olympic Games, besides skaters, other juniors in other kinds of sport will compete. What kind of activities you plan to visit there?

M.S.: After my performances, I'd like to go to hockey, bobsleigh, curling, may be.

We will not make predictions, but I am sure that members of the Russian national team will achieve the best results. And yet, what are your predictions for the tournament? How many medals can we expect?

M.S.: I don’t know how many medals our sportsmen will take, but I know that everybody prepared hard for these competitions. Our federation expects only victories from us. We will try to live up its expectations.

Every tournament is a stress for the athlete. Share your secret, how you cope with nerves and emotions?

M.S.: When I was younger, it was very hard for me to cope with my excitement. I worried very much before my performances, I could not tune. However, for many times I entered on the ice, did everything and then was very happy. But those 2 minutes before the start - were just hell for me. Now I realized that I love my business, so it is not necessary to torture yourself before the start.

Recently you participated at the competitions of the high level - the national championship of Russia. You managed to stand above 2 our Olympic champions and a world champion there. Is the heat of the struggle at the Olympic Games higher than at the Russian nationals?

M.S.: Our champions won their gold. They were tired after the Olympics, they are trying to return their previous level. And as for the Olympic games - everybody going to win. I think that it will be more difficult at the Olympics.

Were you waiting for these games?

M.S.: Of course! And I prepared much to the qualifying rounds.

Many people know that you grew up on an ordinary rink in Novokosino. All your sportive life you’re with your coach, Svetlana Panova. Share the secrets of successful work with her. How do you manage to find common language?

M.S.: We started to work together long time ago, when I was 3 years old. We have gone through so much together, that she knows how I react in different situations. I know how she will act either. It is much comfortable for us to work together. She is so diligent, she will try to achieve the desired result as long, as necessary. She is a maximalist. Even when I do my best in the competition, afterwards we look for and discuss the mistakes. There is no limit to perfection!

What did you sacrifice to achieve your level?

M.S.: Of course, I had to get up early. I, the little girl, was forced to get up at 6 in the morning ... My mother woke me, and I wrapped up in a blanket and said, "I'm not here ... leave me..." I came to the cold ice and had to work, because the competition is soon, and I had to perform well. But now it is, on the contrary, me, who awake parents, to took me to the rink. And after all the trainings I must not to forget about school. Because the figure skating can finish, but it is impossible to dispense with education.

Are the young athletes different from those children, who attend school every day?

M.S.: Athletes grow up faster. They are more responsible, dependable, diligent. They know what they want, they all have an aim.

Do you find common language with those, who are not involved in sports? Or your circle of communication consists only of the athletes?

M.S.: I quite rare communicate with non-sportsmen. However, at school I communicate with my classmates. But it seems, that we're as if from different worlds, sometimes, we do not always achieve mutual understanding.

Last summer your training was held in the USA. Tell us about it.

M.S.: I went there to see how to train in another country. It's quite different there. The main goal was to make my free program. I also went to a professional - Rafael Arutyunyan.

He coached some champions!

M.S.: He is a great coach, I really enjoyed the process of working with him.

What are the differences in the training process?

M.S.: In Russia, at the very first steps, children are forced to do sports. But in the USA child just wants to have some skate, comes to the rink, and have a success. Then he goes further and further, trains more and more and... he wins! I mean, that process is more natural, without outside pressure. Moreover, training-time is more limited there. A session lasts 45 minutes, and you must to meet the deadline. In Russia, the trainings last 1.5 - 2 hours, and during this time I can afford myself to work in half of the force. In the USA each session on the ice must be paid.

From whose pocket?

M.S.: Of course, my parents helped me financially. But from mine also. I paid for trainings by my prize money, earned in competitions.

What are your goals after the Olympics?

M.S.: I have to go to the World Junior Championships. After it I’ll have some other competitions, may be, but I do not know this exactly. The next season do want to go to masters. It’ll be much more serious there!

Can we say that the Youth Olympic Games is like a boundary, which separates youth and adults competitions?

M.S.: I suppose, yes. The Youth Olympic Games is a maximum of junior sport.

Aleksey

Rinkside
New brief interview with Maria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSrB-v63FJY (OMG, she's prettier and prettier day by day :love:)

I suggest you to show all of us silver medal that you won in Lillehammer. Was it hard to take it?

M.S.: Of course, it is hard-won. Everyone can see this beautiful medal, but not everybody knows the real price of it. It is very difficult in fact. Just standing on the podium, I realize how hard it was given. You should get up early every day and go training an training. All this is very difficult to combine with schooling.

Internet tells me, that in December 2015 you occuped the line №27 in the international raеting of skaters. How much effort should be made to gain this?

M.S.: Very much effort... But I’m glad to be occupied in this kind of sport, because it is really beautiful and I’m happy every time to go on the ice and prove that I can.

It's hard to deal with contingent misfortunes?

M.S.: To take for example last competitions: I committed an absurd fall on rotation and got “0” for this element. After SP I was 8th. It turned to be difficult to tune emotionally on the FS and to get such an experience, moreover because SP and FS were separated by a 1-day break. I’m glad, that I managed to tune properly on FS!

Have you got an idol from the number of figure-skaters?

M.S.: I do like Carolina Kostner. Her manner of skating is the best example for me.

And from the number of Russian skaters?

M.S.: Many of our girls are very talented: Radionova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova - all of them are gifted and are my competitors in the future.

The question for the future: what are your plans after retirement?

M.S.: I don’t know how life will be: maybe I’ll soon finish, maybe I’ll continue to perform for many years. But in any case I want to stay in the world of figure skating: as a coach or to skate in shows!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maria Sotskova: "I looked at the fashion instagram Grisha Smirnov - and decided to have a glamorous pink"

Russian figure skater fifteen years, this year she graduated from high school, but to defend the honor in international competitions of the country it will not get used. At such a young age it is sensible, restrained in the estimates and reflects quite grown-up, though, of course, still a young girl, with all the inherent interests. A few hours before the start Mary Sotskova at the World Junior Championships in Debrecen, we offer you an interview of the Russian figure skater in which she spoke about the hard daily routine at the end of the season, about the difficulties of preparation for the feast, and about their hobbies.

- Youth Olympic Games have become the most challenging tournament in your life?

- Maybe not in life, but in this season - just. After a brief to be the eighth - very hard. Another day break, I felt awful. I understand that you need to get in the top three without options. But rivals are strong, it is not clear yet how I skated - pull yourself together or not.

- And yet you made an incredible jump from eighth to second - quite a feat.

- Actually, no deed was not just an arbitrary done everything that depended on me. We Pauline arbitrary - one of the strongest on the juniors, so we always recoup after a short, in pure skating, of course.

- In any case, it is not so easy to set up yourself and come up with a clear head after a ...

- Stupid mistakes, yes (smiling). This rotation I stood in the end arbitrary. I, of course, a very long time came ... Actually, not very well remember myself at that time, so I was uncomfortable the whole situation, I wanted to skate as soon as possible arbitrary and forget about these starts. In principle, the program has performed well, but still has blots, and score 116 points - it's not enough for me. When I came out after rolling into the locker room, the coach said to me: "Now wait." Ahead was even an entire workout, I sat there and was so worried that even did not go to the podium, because it was very hard.

- At the end of the Games were the mixed team competition, for which you did not get because of the drawing of lots.Probably not very upset about this, because longer able to rest?

- In general, it was interesting. On the one hand, I was not very pleased, that did not get - wanted to speak, maybe take another medal. On the other hand, I understand that I have no strength, and skate at the proper level, I could not.

- What these games do you remember most?

- Good and warm ambience. After the start, all were much friendlier and more sociable. We met new people. We had a special place, where we were going, and playing different board games. Usually after everything starts quickly collect suitcases, anybody especially with no one talking and leaving. And this time we had three or four days, we all talked together went somewhere.

- Do you now is the final stage of preparation. What does have to give?

- Now almost all the time I spend at the rink. Moral fully customized to work, I do not want anything to distract - or for a walk or something else. Now I just exercise and a school. I come home and I'll do my homework or thinking about starting. Right now I want to enjoy the atmosphere of the competition.

- Tell us a little more detail, what it consists of your day.

- For seven or eight in the morning I go to warm up, then about an hour - the ice, try to ride 45 minutes to make it as close as possible to the conditions which will be at the tournament. A short break, the ice again, followed by choreography or PFD.Then, in the region of three in the afternoon I go to school, a few hours training, then do my homework at home and sleep.

- Spartan schedule. In correspondence with the emotions remain friends?

- Yes. I also communicate with other kids who go to the world. Of course, we are all a little tense right now, getting ready, we want to perform well, with peace of mind to close the season.

- You always adjusts, renounce all?

- Usually not just the start - most likely the last major of the season, while still in charge, so I want to speak very good, good to skate and do everything not worse than in the beginning of the season.

- At the beginning you have a very well turned out - won two Grand Prix. But the finale in Barcelona you can hardly remain satisfied?

- In principle, I can be happy. An arbitrary skated very well, and silver - too bad. It is clear that there is only one place, but apparently at the moment I am weak.

- This season is for you - a constant struggle with Pauline Tsurskoy. Do not get bored that almost all tournaments, the same rival?

- No, I just want to have to win, but, apparently, I'm not ready. I do not know what it is connected, but it turns out that it is always superior to me. In any case, when we are on foreign competition or the championship of Russia, we are as close to each other is estimated.

"For about a month before the tournament start thinking, what should I wear to the banquet" retweet

- Championship will be held in Debrecen. There will be time to see the city?

- Yes, on the first day after arrival we have time for a stroll. And the next day - already exercise, and go somewhere I personally do not want to, usually a rest in the hotel. During the launch, of course, not going anywhere, and after the event in the evening to collect things, and flying the next day.

- So, shopping only on the first day?

- Normally, I go to the shops on the first day, but if something like it, buy after the starts, I do not like to do it before the race.

- Banquets - an integral part of the international tournaments. How much time killing the choice of dresses and make-up?

- For about a month before the tournament starts to think, "So what should I wear to the banquet? If anything does not fit - go to the store. It so happens that before a banquet put on a dress and realize: "Oh my God, that I took with me ?!" persuade yourself to put it on, I go, and then I do not say it - very cool and everyone liked it. Make-up - all this in general is difficult. I can make up, I do not like it, will cleanse everything and start anew. In general, it's very difficult, so at least for the start of training, even for the feast begin two hours, three.

- Do you like to take pictures?

- Well, it's my not very successful, but take pictures when I'm ready, why not?

- Participated in the photo shoots?

- Yes, for a sports magazine. I'm a little late, so I quickly make up, quickly picked up something from the clothing, and somehow got all crumpled. But still it was a very interesting experience, I liked it.

- You have two instagrama, one of them "pink". What's an idea?

- I moved into a new apartment, I have there white-pink room, and I'm really addicted to pink. Everyone says I'm crazy, that they are already sick of my pink, but I do not care. I post the pictures there, which she did, there is not one picture. I thought, why not? At the same Grisha Smirnov very trendy instagram , all in one color, cool pictures, but I do not like my own, so I decided to create here is a glamorous option .

- Realize that you have a public person?

- Oh sure. I understand that you should always look good, be well dressed, speak correctly and beautifully, beautifully behave, and social networks too. Although many of our skaters lay out everything, and they nobody says anything.

- You closed "VKontakte". So many posts?

- In fact, after the Olympic Games in Sochi, a great many people were added to the Friends of only one request - to acquaint them with Julia or Adeline (Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova - ed..). The day has come for a thousand applications such messages.It seems that two years have passed since the Games, but people still can not calm down, they write, so I closed the message.

- Look, but now all communication is in social networks. Here you will want to meet a great guy, and you have a page is closed.

- When you send a request to friends, then you can write a message (smiles).

- Did you really read them?

- Oh sure! However, when I do not have time, and applications in a lot of friends, I was just looking at the names. Sometimes accidentally I reject requests from friends, and then they have to find and add. But anyway, I got used to communicate and get to know in life, because the Internet is still dangerous, it is not clear who is behind this account. Always I communicate only with your friends, and you do not always know if it says your friend to you, or a hacked page. I am for live communication!

Author Leonid Shlikov

sneakers

Match Penalty
very nice skate by Masha :clap:

If she can skate clean tommorrow in the FS, I think she can win
good luck to Masha tommorrow :hap10:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
For me she was the best. I dont understand her scores. I like Alisa so much but Maria's performance was so matured she deserved higher scores too. I'm in the arena

Last edited:

sneakers

Match Penalty
For me she was the best. I dont understand her scores. I like Alisa so much but Maria's performance was so matured she deserved higher scores too. I'm in the arena

her PCS was underscored :angry1:

she can still score higher in the FS
hopefully she skates clean tommorrow

Aleksey

Rinkside

I Agree with you completely! She is very persuasive in her images. Support her tomorrow, pleeease!:cheer:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
poor Masha. :( she lost all her ease on the ice after Russian Nationals. her skating today was really slow. I can not congratulate her for second place, because all that is below the first place - a very bad result. horrible day today :(

Aleksey

Rinkside
I can not congratulate her for second place, because all that is below the first place - a very bad result. horrible day today :(

Can't agree with you. Her programs are more interesting, her skating is more mature, than Marin's. Moreover, in FP her jumping content is more difficult. According to the words of her coach, Maria was bothered by an injury. Real fighter, she skated under such pressure, being the only skater to get 3 quotes - and managed to do it WITH HONOUR! BRAVO MARIA! YOU ARE THE BEST!