Maria Sotskova | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Maria Sotskova

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Hurray to the most elegant russian baby! I love her :clap:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The more I watch her new FS, the more I like it! :love: Her Pina was not extraordinary, but both her programs this season are really magnificent, especially because they're stylistically completely different from everything else the other Junior girls are presenting: they're intricate and refined, with unusual transitions. Her jumps are a lot better now, too, her flips were a lot bigger than in her first event and she looked less hesitant, but she definitely needs more speed and attack (and that will come with more training time). Congrats to Maria for making it to the final for the second consecutive year! :yes:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Here's an old interview of hers after she won JGPF!

Source: http://sporteveryday.info/pages/mariya-sotskova-sportsmenyi-eto-litso-trenera/ (I used our trusty ole google translate btw! Some sentences are a bit hard to understand but getting the context of her answers is manageable)

I also added some of my "interpretaion" in brackets -> ()

Maria Sotskova: "Sportsmen - a person trainer" [The face of his trainer]
This is an interview with Mary Sotskova we did the next day after her victory in the final of the Junior Grand Prix.Then the next target athletes were selected for the Junior World Championships in Bulgaria. "Contenders will be a lot, especially in the third place in our team," - says Maria.

On his way to the sport, and the support of my mother idols in an interview with Mary Sotskova FFKKR site.

"The coach did not lisp with us" [Coaches were very strict]
- Masha, the first arrival of the rink to disappoint you: cold, unfamiliar strict aunt, mom somewhere on the podium ... It was enough to raise a howl. But what hooked then?

- Used to. First lessons at an early stage I, frankly, did not like. Boring exercises that need to be repeated every day. But when switched to jumping, it has become much more interesting, and after the first competition tightened even more.

- Do you remember the first competition?

- Most recall another start. There had to go athlete who suddenly fell ill. I said instead. And I have no clothes, no program until the end of the set ...

Coped weekly completed the program and costume. I skated well, all single jumped. Took place the 30th of the 48. She did not understand, or be happy, or upset. But the coach saw that I skated clean, she liked it, and began to work more closely with me.

- Coach you Svetlana Panova. (And your coach, Svetlana Panova?)

- Yes, very serious, strict. No one treats us. But starts very worried. (She is very serious and strict. She also wasn't easy on us in at first because she was initially worried of my progress.)

- And apparently looks confident and relaxed.

- It only seems. All coaches are worried about their athletes. It's their job. Do not want the students were poor. We are their face. Athletes - a person trainer.

"During my performances mentally mom rides with me" (During performances, my mom mentally skates with me.)

- At first, who was more passionate about figure skating - you or Mom?

- Mom, I've never been a fan of figure skating. It now she picks for me costumes, music ... Because of this, the nights can not escape. Monitors the competition and travels to tournaments. But if other moms quietly sit and watch, my tries to repeat all the movements. As coaches at a side ... Mom like mentally riding with me. I can feel it, though not always see.

The first year of my mother most of the time took me to the rink. Remember, probably, as I cried at the first lesson. But you know, it happens in children: wake up in the morning and not in the mood, somehow it is not so ... Basically I'm happy to engage in sports.

Mom always supported, not crushed. There were moments when he let down his hands, saying that tired, I do not like ... In such cases, the mother replied: "I do not want to, let's take." I immediately came to himself.

- And sometimes, you want to quit?

- This usually occurs at the beginning of the season. After staying always hard to get involved in training. If not your body. Start jumping - nothing. On the ice, screaming, tantrums, because all awry.

This was the first season when everything was itself little by little. I had new skates, and our second coach, which is replaced by Svetlana Vladimirovna, given time to get used to them, to get involved.

- Because of what nervous at the beginning of the season?

- From misunderstanding. So many years of work, to go after the rest and ... nothing.

- But I guess that happens at many.

- I understand. But at the moment for some reason refuse to understand it. (She refuses, for some reason, to understand the reasons of giving up skating)

"In sports, it is necessary to be a human being"

- What events you remember the most?

- Last year's championship of Russia in Saransk, where I was the third. After the short program took 7th place. Although I hope that will triple, and then go up even higher. And now this! Why? .. Seems clean Squeezer.

Tuned to an arbitrary quietly. The penultimate warm-up. Came out on the ice, the vacuum created around himself.

- How's that?

- Just set up itself, I have nothing to lose, it is necessary to relax and do what I can. After rolling went to the buffet, glad that the sixth - the team got. The buffet was a small television, where there was a live broadcast of the championship. And suddenly ... it does not matter one athlete skated, I climbed to 5th place. Then another - I was the fourth. After Julia Lipnitskaya left on the ice. (Yulia fell on the ice)

I am very worried about her, because I really like how Julia rolls around. And then shock ... She fell, and I wanted to Lipnitskaya the first. Of course, Lena Radionova likes me too, but Julia has more adult skating.

Announce points, Julia stands in the minutes after me. Do not believe me, I have a burst of emotion was, I walked very Lipnitskaya Julia!

In general, the third place on the championship of Russia was a surprise to me. It was great!

- In your story, sincere feelings for the opponents, but figure skating - it's an individual sport. Everyone wants to win!

- Of course, everyone wants to be the first. But we must remain human! We will leave the ice, forget about everything, we laugh, smile and walk together.

"Patrick Chan slides as if riding on the clock" Rolex "

- To closely monitor developments in the women's figure skating?

- Coach, whenever possible, try to take me to the adult training. For example, during the final of the Grand Prix in Fukuoka watched training singles. Incredible feeling of riding the Big Boys. All high-speed, high jumping ... To ride so, we must work and work.

- And the girls?

- All athletes are very artistic. As soon include music, they begin to live in this music. With jumps worse than boys. Mao Asada good "triksel." It is not always clean, but good.

- What else is said?

- Canadian Patrick Chan works fine foot. This is particularly noticeable in the track on the rush ... This quality is very much appreciated.

Chan not only, but also in American skaters similar manner: if they do not touch ice skates and glide gently, as if by the hour "Rolex".

- Do you think it's innate or tried and tested?

- Tested, of course.

- How, then, we have to work?

- So how Patrick Chan. I think he did not leave the ice. I remember what it was three or four years ago. Now it is an entirely different matter.

- What is the difference?

- Previously, Chan skated like everyone else, and now does not look like anyone else. Patrick's second no. The fact that he was so, there is a certain percentage of talent, but mostly, I think it's due to hard work.

- Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Chan, Assad ... Who else?

- I liked Johnny Weir. He was different from others. Johnny ridden soul. Out on the ice, as if to say: "I love you, the audience." Johnny did everything for fun. He had extraordinary costumes, music programs ...

One was held in Moscow Grand Prix, and we were given tickets in the school. We went with my mother. Weir spoke. He liked me so that I then asked to find any information about it on the Internet. Very enthusiastically followed the career of Johnny. And when he announced the conclusion, I was very sorry.

"Do not ride with an eye on the other" (Do not skate with an eye on your competitors)

- How to achieve the dissimilarity in figure skating?

- You do not need to ride with an eye on the other. If you really want to raise a hand like this, and raise it so, and not, as usual, through the third position. In general, it is necessary to always be yourself.

- So?

- How many can remember, always did everything wrong, like the others. All go to one side of the floor mats, I - in the opposite direction. And so on. However, now at the rink I'm the oldest, and have authority in young. They all repeat after me, so it is impossible to stand out.

- She came to thoughts about individuality?

- We choreographer Ilona Protasenya constantly talking about it. Ilona I. genius. And all the programs that it does with the story. Get at least my arbitrary.

I - Angel, who is looking for a man in the world, which it is necessary to help. People at risk. But Angela searches in vain. Remember my step sequence? At this point, Angel goes to the disco, but there is not a hero. In the end, after all saves. And in the last part of the program Agnello glad that everything worked out ...

Ilona Ivanovna always something comes up, looks, improved ... She a former dancer. Was injured. Began to work with the skaters. Overall, we were very lucky.

"Figure skating has given me a great life experience"

- What is figure skating for you now?

- Figure skating - it's a great experience. Competitions, training, travel ... If I do not exercise, you may not experience anything like this.

And 11 years of skating. About three years ago decided that the sport is no longer throw. I can not. Often, sick, the first day sit still at home, type of forces, and the second starting to shake her mother, saying, Let us go to the gym. The legs themselves are jumping. I start jumping around the room, to dance, but would not lie ... The work became passion, and passion for work.

- This season, the main task for you - to be selected for the Junior World Championships?

- It will be very hard. Many bidders. The main thing that the nerves did not disappoint.

- Where can I get nerves of steel?

- Just before the start did not have much to be nervous. I'm crazy, but when the latter has to start. The hardest part - waiting. The coach does not allow to sit, so I go, leaping, lying ... At this point, different thoughts in my head.

- But in the final itself was able to adjust?

- I helped to deceive themselves. Come up with a story about fear crumpled, hidden in a backpack. And I forced myself to believe it.

- In the end, won the Grand Prix and was satisfied.

- Only because of what was upset that I did not give toys. After the competition, saw the bags of toys, came and asked about her. His long sought. Not found. Then run about Japanese, gives the package, and there is a flower. She understands my mood began to calm, they say, is better medal than toys. And I still hurt.

Then he came to the hotel. Met Sima Sahanovich. She says: "Mary, there coach brought your toys." I had so much fun!

I loved in Japan. All the people are smiling, happy. And fans! You hand them pomashesh they happiness fall into a swoon.

In Japan, people on the streets smiling. They'll give you, you tell them. In Moscow, this is rarely seen. I think I have in my life did not smile much, but for those few days.

fsrussia.ru​

Notes:
-love her stand on individuality and being herself :agree: you go girl
-love that bit about her being a Weir fan and being a Yulia fan! this girl is charming
-love her for being grounded and still wanting some toys :D I would prefer the toys as well

edit: added what Snow63 said!

Snow63

Record Breaker
Maria Sotskova: "Sportsmen - a person trainer"
Sportsman is the face of his trainer.

"The coach did not lisp with us" (No coaches treated us/took care of us - my take)

The coach (she means her coach) is not easy on us.

P.S. It's a very interesting interview! Really funny. But unfortunately I have no time to translate it.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Sportsman is the face of his trainer.

The coach (she means her coach) is not easy on us.

P.S. It's a very interesting interview! Really funny. But unfortunately I have no time to translate it.

I knew something was up with my interpretations! :laugh: Thank you for clarifying :) Now I really want to learn how to understand the Russian language

Snow63

Record Breaker
I knew something was up with my interpretations! :laugh: Thank you for clarifying :) Now I really want to learn how to understand the Russian language

Well, sometimes it's hard to understand russian even for russian people :laugh: Too many nuances. But it's never too late to learn. I can help you if you want :)

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
She's my favorite junior lady skater. I like that she's different from the others from the musical choices to the costumes and her skating style, she stands out. Reading that she was upset no getting her toys is delicious. Love her!

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Dear oh dear, I have to post something before I can post a link... or they ban me otherwise! APOLOGIES!!!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Look out Anna and Polina, Maria is also using a 3-1Lo-3S combo with a lutz! She does need to work on it more as she stumbled on the 3Lz but came back and did the 3S at the end.

She recently competed in one of the Cup or Russia events and overall, she finished third!
SP
LP

She is definitely on a good track for JGPF and Russian Nats.

gotoschool

Medalist
This girl is studying the right stuff!

I was just thinking that Maria's posture, presentation and step sequences reminded me a little of Mao. Thanks so much for the video.

In this season's LP, I think Maria is elegant, soothing and smooth in her movements and presentation. Her performance reminds me of the old-timey musicals of Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers and Cyd Charisse, with variations on melodic themes and choreography that include upbeat and snappy jazz with quick multi-directional steps and lovely pirouettes that along with Satoko are the most seamless I have seen this season. Then, she concludes with a melancholy interlude as Moon River closes out her program in a feeling of wistful longing. She combines the wonderful qualities of balletic grace, musicality and agility.

I hope she can develop just a little more speed, and a little more height and slightly better posture on landing her jumps now that she is over her injury. But, this is being too picky because I already enjoy Maria's skating so much already. I think overall her posture and extensions are finely drawn out and quite picturesque. I am also really impressed with her full layback into a flexible Biellmann at the end of her programs.