Women and the Quad | Page 81 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Elucidus

Match Penalty
11 y. o. Veronika Zhilina just landed 4T in her "New Year 2020" competition -
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/650626256475389953/656484601824411648/nika4T.gif

Here is Zhilina's full skate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGGrzggPbvM :biggrin:
Her last two jumps weren't counted btw - since in this comp format for novices only 5 jump elements are allowed. In fact she would get more if she wouldn't attempted them due to falls deductions. Also, for those who loves to criticize Eteri skaters labeling them as wielders of so called "Eteri technique" - this Eteri's student jumps is worthy answer ;)

That costume is questionable.
Nah, comparing to original Sia's costume - for which performance this program was made - it's pretty much innocent. At least she is not looking as nude nymphet :rolleye:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...a-figure-skating-nationals-championships/amp/
Bianchetti thought the idea of limiting the number and types of quads women can do in the free skate “has merit” as a form of preventive medicine.

“There is no doubt that the health of all these ‘kids’ must be taken into serious consideration,” Bianchetti said.

Bianchetti is chairman of the ISU singles and pairs technical committee - so it seems it's serious enough to be sure that it will be included in ISU congress this summer. I think it's discrimination against women in pure form though. If they are so concerned about women's health - why they are not concerned about men? Well, of course wise ISU officials should know better than I what is best for the sport, right? :rolleye:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...a-figure-skating-nationals-championships/amp/

Bianchetti is chairman of the ISU singles and pairs technical committee - so it seems it's serious enough to be sure that it will be included in ISU congress this summer. I think it's discrimination against women in pure form though. If they are so concerned about women's health - why they are not concerned about men? Well, of course wise ISU officials should not better, right? :rolleye:
You must have missed the rules that were implemented after the Olympics 2018 where the ISU removed the 8th jump from the mens FS programs and implemented the rule that only one Quad can be repeated in the FS program (e.g. 2×4S + 2×4T was therefore no longer allowed), therefore stopping men from jumping too many Quads after the Quad craze in the men's field. That the ISU is not concerned for the men's health in regards of jumps is therefore not true.

Amei

Record Breaker

Bianchetti is chairman of the ISU singles and pairs technical committee - so it seems it's serious enough to be sure that it will be included in ISU congress this summer. I think it's discrimination against women in pure form though. If they are so concerned about women's health - why they are not concerned about men? Well, of course wise ISU officials should know better than I what is best for the sport, right? :rolleye:

Agree that it's discriminatory against women. I would be in favor of limiting quads but only if it was for both men and women

ruga

Final Flight
Well, I'm not exactly against any limits, but only if they apply them for both men and women.

However, it seems that ISU got played in their own game. I mean, they gave quads pretty big values (with the previous scale, 4Lz+fall would give you more points than 3Lz with max GOE, now it's not as extreme, but a quad is still a game changer) and got surprised that all skaters want to jump quads? There is literally no way to increase your score. Spins are already lvl 4 even for non-top skaters, PCS depends on your consistency, TES and, well, on your skills, but if you gave the first two, the latter doesn't matter that much. What a skater, who already has all triples and decent PCS, should do if not train quads?

And if they limit them, we will reach a point where there is a whole bunch of skaters who do the same technical content, even if some of them could do better. It would be so artificial, seeing a skater do the same content as their weaker competitor even if, thanks to social media, everyone would know perfectly that they can do better.

Now the limit is 7, and I believe it's perfectly enough. I would even argue for the abolishment of uhh 'Chen Rule' and let skaters repeat 2 quads again. Like c'mon this rule really does bad 3A jumpers dirty. The 3A is not much easier than quads, some skaters struggle to get it even after quads (see: Trusova).

lzxnl

Final Flight
Well, I'm not exactly against any limits, but only if they apply them for both men and women.

However, it seems that ISU got played in their own game. I mean, they gave quads pretty big values (with the previous scale, 4Lz+fall would give you more points than 3Lz with max GOE, now it's not as extreme, but a quad is still a game changer) and got surprised that all skaters want to jump quads? There is literally no way to increase your score. Spins are already lvl 4 even for non-top skaters, PCS depends on your consistency, TES and, well, on your skills, but if you gave the first two, the latter doesn't matter that much. What a skater, who already has all triples and decent PCS, should do if not train quads?

And if they limit them, we will reach a point where there is a whole bunch of skaters who do the same technical content, even if some of them could do better. It would be so artificial, seeing a skater do the same content as their weaker competitor even if, thanks to social media, everyone would know perfectly that they can do better.

Now the limit is 7, and I believe it's perfectly enough. I would even argue for the abolishment of uhh 'Chen Rule' and let skaters repeat 2 quads again. Like c'mon this rule really does bad 3A jumpers dirty. The 3A is not much easier than quads, some skaters struggle to get it even after quads (see: Trusova).

I don't mind if they force people to jump axels better. After all, axels are the only jumps at senior level that have to be included anyway. Also, from my own perspective, axel takeoffs are one of the least controversial here, so I'm happy with that.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
New Year update:

Quads count: 99(Clean 47, Landed 62, Rotated 71)

Quad Queen 50(30-35-35)
Shcherbakova 24(10-15-18)
Akatieva 5(1-2-4)
Liu 5(2-4-2)
Tursynbaeva 3(1-1-3)
Valieva 3(2-2-3)
Zhilina V. 3(1-1-2)
Berestovskaya 2(0-2-0)
Khromykh 1(0-0-0)
Kihira 1(0-0-1)
Tarakanova 1(0-0-0)
Tuktamysheva 1(0-0-0)

Types(Clean):

Lutz 42(21)
Toeloop 37(21)
Salchow 16(4)
Flip 4(1)

Season:

17/18 - 10
18/19 - 36
19/20 - 53

Locations:

Moscow - 12
Saransk - 10
Torino - 10

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Ok... A question. Why is Anna's quad lutz 3.25 rotations? I watched many times... Yuna's triple lutz is 2.75 rotations and Kolyada's quad lutz is 3.75 rotations. Where is the missing half rotation of Anna? No bashing. I thought she is doing this half rotation on the ice, but it is not even there...

McBibus

On the Ice
Maybe a bit OT, but with quads jumps tends to have a very big impact on the totals scores.
While for PCS it's possible to work on the multiplayer to maintain balance so that the best TES score is similar to the best PCS score, Spins and Steps are the real victims.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Maybe a bit OT, but with quads jumps tends to have a very big impact on the totals scores.
While for PCS it's possible to work on the multiplayer to maintain balance so that the best TES score is similar to the best PCS score, Spins and Steps are the real victims.
No, they aren't. Do you imply that quadsters are having bad steps and spins? It's not true. Scherbakova, Valieva, Liu - have one of the best spins among all skaters combined. Tursynbaeva, Scherbakova have very complex, intricate, sophisticated and interesting steps as well. It's no doubt that they are spending much time to train these elements despite having much more valuable quads in their arsenal. And it's obvious why they needs them if you think about it. Competition. With high level of competition even insignificant details of your performance becomes important. So even with low cost of spins and steps - if one wants to be on top level - one needs to do all elements as best as he could. Moreover, good steps and spins adds even more points that they cost formally - because they influence PCS score indirectly. You can't be considered artistic skater with bad spins and steps - it's one of the reasons why Tuktamysheva is struggling with her PCS score, btw.
Thus, I don't see any problem or inbalance with current scale of values - each element serves its purpose like it should.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ok... A question. Why is Anna's quad lutz 3.25 rotations? I watched many times... Yuna's triple lutz is 2.75 rotations and Kolyada's quad lutz is 3.75 rotations. Where is the missing half rotation of Anna? No bashing. I thought she is doing this half rotation on the ice, but it is not even there...

There are plenty of triple lutzers and quad lutzers whose jumps are respectively less than 2.75 and 3.75 rotations. There's some pre-rotation on the takeoff of Anna's, but she does get the lutz around with pretty much no doubt for underrotation on the landing (which is far more important than the takeoff).