Women and the Quad | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

mathlike

On the Ice
I think she skates like a guy. And I kinda love that about her. Why not? She really is the Simone Biles of figure skating.
Could she skate with men according to the ISU rules? :think:

Maybe they never expected girl like Sasha to appear and didn't bother to specify gender in men's category rulebook. :biggrin:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Could she skate with men according to the ISU rules? :think:

Maybe they never expected girl like Sasha to appear and didn't bother to specify gender in men's category rulebook. :biggrin:

Current ISU rules:
https://isu.org/inside-isu/rules-re...13-constitution-general-regulations-2018/file

It doesn't explicitly say that female skaters may not enter the men's event, but I think that is implied:

rule 3 b) The Figure Skating Branch includes the following disciplines (Gender Categories indicated in parenthesis if not included in the discipline title):
i)
Single & Pair Skating disciplines:- Ladies Single Skating- Men Single Skating- Pair Skating (1 Lady & 1 Man);
ii)
Ice Dance discipline:- Ice Dance (1 Lady & 1 Man);
iii) Synchronized Skating discipline Synchronized Skating (Team composed of Ladies and Men as per Special Regulations Synchronized Skating, Rule 800, paragraph 2.) .
iv)
Figure Skating Team event consisting of one (1) to two (2) Lady/Ladies, one (1) to two (2) Man/Men, one (1) Pair Skating Couple, one (1) Ice Dance Couple (see also Rule 300, paragraphs 1 and 2)

rule 131 a) ii) In respect of information about Personal Data that they declare and agree:- that personal data are collected by the ISU and such data are stored and used by the ISU, and when necessary, third parties, for the purposes only of, and to the extent necessary only in relation to facilitate their participation in, and/or organizing competitions; personal data may include but will not be limited to full legal name as per national identity documents, address, date of birth, nationality, and sex

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Can be a good idea for Scherbakova to go for two 4lzs tomorrow, since it seems judges won't give her the GOEs and PCS.
She already landed two 4lzs in a program. Even if it was in a domestic competition.

readernick

Medalist
I mean she could go for two 4Lz but the 4Lz didn't look great in practice so she would really run the risk of 4Lz(UR)+rep which would be pretty bad for her scores.

Amei

Record Breaker
I mean she could go for two 4Lz but the 4Lz didn't look great in practice so she would really run the risk of 4Lz(UR)+rep which would be pretty bad for her scores.

There have been videos of her practicing and landing a 4F - she could go for 1 of each and maybe plan 1 as a combo but if she falls on either or both turn around and tack the second jump of the combo to another jump like 1 of her 2a's

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
How does that work? The judges are not all from the home country. I don’t think there is a built-judging advantage for home country skaters.

But there is, in every existing sport in the world. When judges are unsure about the 'objectivity' of the decision they need to make, they will always judge in home country favour. It's unwritten sport's rule. As the way to thanks home country for organizing the competition, probably. And that doesn't mean home country athlete/team wouldn't win or placed exactly the same otherwise/at neutral ground. Or that the judges were 'cooking' the win/exact placement for them (that they won just because the judges).

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
But there is, in every existing sport in the world. When judges are unsure about the 'objectivity' of the decision they need to make, they will always judge in home country favour. It's unwritten sport's rule. As the way to thanks home country for organizing the competition, probably. And that doesn't mean home country athlete/team wouldn't win or placed exactly the same otherwise/at neutral ground. Or that the judges were 'cooking' the win/exact placement for them (that they won just because the judges).

Source? I’ve never heard anything like that before.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Source? I’ve never heard anything like that before.

Watching different sports for many years (and listening commentators), reading the articles and writing about it. You can google it. Also, there is a statistic about countries medals at big competitions, and you can compare country results at home with the competitions at neutral ground. Now with more technology involved to help judges to make the right decision, it's less likely for them to judge in home country 'favour' in those 'delicate' situations (where you need to give yes or no decision and there were 50% chances for both things to have happened in 'your eyes'. I'm not saying that judges premeditatetly are judging in some favour, just in complicated situations where they are not sure about objectivity of it).

lzxnl

Final Flight

Japanese singles skaters would like to say hi from Saitama.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Watching different sports for many years (and listening commentators), reading the articles and writing about it. You can google it. Also, there is a statistic about countries medals at big competitions, and you can compare country results at home with the competitions at neutral ground. Now with more technology involved to help judges to make the right decision, it's less likely for them to judge in home country 'favour' in those 'delicate' situations (where you need to give yes or no decision and there were 50% chances for both things to have happened in 'your eyes'. I'm not saying that judges premeditatetly are judging in some favour, just in complicated situations where they are not sure about objectivity of it).

Ah so there isn’t any evidence? Gotcha.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Who else put 36,92 + 33,98 for SP with 1A? Has this ever happened before? Do you really think the LP was 152.59? The judges did everything they could for Japan.

Alena Kostornaya got over 70 points last season during the JGP in her short program despite a 1A<<. She got 39.47 in TES and 30.77 in PCs. So yes, it did happen before

Arbitrary

Medalist
Nepela Memorial 2019

Sasha Trusova landed 4Lz, 4T+3T and 4T, all three with GOE+ across the table. Ironically she failed to deliver the same 3Lz3Lo (doubling 2Lo and stepping over, no crash, with GOE-).

4Lz received 14.72 COP score.

Some may update Wikipedia again.