Women and the Quad | Page 72 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Orlov

Medalist
I disagree about the comment quoted as being spam; I personally don't consider that a skater 'has a jump' till they are putting it as planned content in a competition program, but on the other side - they have to practice them before they compete them and practice usually starts with the harness

A skater who makes a jump in training is in a qualitatively different state than a skater who cannot make a jump even in training. Gravity remains gravity even in training. The reaction of Radionova'a former coach.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
No, you are wrong. Actually Liu never did 3.25 rotations in the air. To do it she needs to land fully rotated quad - which she never was able to do. All her quads have less than 3 rotations in the air.

Yep, exactly this. Unless those people will begin to complain more often and more strongly about Shoma and Zhou quads first and foremost and/or have long history of such complains long before Trusove entered the scene - I will never see them as anything but sexists hypocrites.

But Shoma and Zhou have had pages and pages dedicated to dissecting and critiquing their quads. --It's all here in the archives. It's been one of the most hotly debated subjects in past seasons. --I think whenever there is a high-scoring element it will be scrutinized, for ladies and men. -As it should be. This does not touch on the possible health hazards training jumps at a young age can cause in skaters. --there does not seem to be enough study on it and that in itself is telling. Nobody wants to look into it for fear of what they will find.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Honestly, quads so early seem pointless. Sure, you will be star at local novice competition and blow up the internet... but will your hips and bones even make it to juniors? Let alone seniors?

Seems too much pounding on developing bodies.
Well, she has Akatieva on a novice level to struggle with - who has 4T and 3A. So it's not pointless.
That, and in that age bodies are extremely light - making quads similar to triples in height and force of impact. They are much less dangerous than they will become when you try to learn them in a later age, with more body weight. As for repeatable and accumulating damage - tbh, I don't see any difference whether hypothetical Zhilina will be jumping 100 triples each day-every day or 90 triples and 10 quads :confused2:

Happy Skates

Final Flight

Thats a beautiful quad sal! Its interesting to see both her and Akatieva get their quads at age 11. Zhilina's jumps are so strong in general that I think its likely she'll also get a quad toe and 3A, maybe even also a quad lutz (or flip) - she certainly has the height but she would need to not delay the rotation like she does. I believe she is now the 7th lady from Team Tutberidze to get a quad. Impressive! I wonder if they would ever send her or Akatieva to an international novice competition to get the "youngest to do x quad in international competition" title. Either way, it will be interesting to see whether getting quads this early helps or hurts. It may very well be that doing the quad for a while will help them become more consistent with it in the future.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Honestly, quads so early seem pointless. Sure, you will be star at local novice competition and blow up the internet... but will your hips and bones even make it to juniors? Let alone seniors?

Never underestimate "local novice competitions" in Russia.

Amei

Record Breaker

Well I think the group they want to emulate is Shcherbakova/Trusova/Kostornaia who were stars before they ever turned senior and getting paid (I assume) to do shows in Japan with adoring fans; potentially some endorsement deals. I believe Shcherbakova was even doing shows in Japan before she competed internationally as a Junior so only based off her domestic competitions/performances that ended up online, unless Japanese figure skating show producers scout at Russian Novice competitions.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Well I think the group they want to emulate is Shcherbakova/Trusova/Kostornaia who were stars before they ever turned senior and getting paid (I assume) to do shows in Japan with adoring fans; potentially some endorsement deals. I believe Shcherbakova was even doing shows in Japan before she competed internationally as a Junior so only based off her domestic competitions/performances that ended up online, unless Japanese figure skating show producers scout at Russian Novice competitions.

I don’t think that there were any scouts at the competitions. Coming into her junior eligible season, Anna had a lot of hype around her because of her quad toe and her dream catcher long program. I think that there was more anticipation about her during that season than Sasha. Sasha at that point had an under rotated quad salchow. Alena was injured the season before, so she was kind of a wild card until her first russian local competition of that season. Too bad Anna has to miss that first season.

colormyworld240

Medalist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CKG5GKXTI
Alexandra Trusova and Yuzuru Hanyu parallel 4T at Skate Canada :biggrin:
...And you know what? Trusova's quad here is actually higher than Hanyu's :eek: To all naysayers who so loves to criticize ladies quads as pseudoquads comparing to men's I would say - serves them right! :laugh:

This. I never understood how so many could say Sasha's quads are tiny and based on rotation speed. Her 4T has always been huge. Finally there is a SBS with a great skater that no one would ever accuse of having small jumps.

Also it was very cute when Yuzuru rubbed Sasha's head.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'm not in favour of the Ladies doing the quad, especially not if they're are sacrificing artistry. Tracy Wilson said there's already discussions about how the quad could impact artistry in the Women's Discipline just as it did in the men's.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I'm not in favour of the Ladies doing the quad, especially not if they're are sacrificing artistry. Tracy Wilson said there's already discussions about how the quad could impact artistry in the Women's Discipline just as it did in the men's.

Consider it a short-term revolution. As soon as many men adopted quads the overall quality and artistry began to ascend gradually.
Same will eventually happen in female skating too. Some female quadsters and virtually all of trixelists are on the uphill toward better and better skating. Like Kihira, Koistornaya, Scherbakova.
Trusova is the one kind of an icebreaker so she had to sucrifice something.

Not sure if the next OGM will be a quadster or a trixelist or whoever but pretty sure the upper jumps will be a mandatory right after the OG (and in SP too).