Women and the Quad | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

A full list of other attempts and successful landings on quad jumps can be found here.

While one can find, analyze, and critique landings and edges in various videos on the internet, it doesn’t detract from the fact that ladies’ figure skating, in general, has come a very long way. Each generation brings new talent to the ice, pushing the boundaries further and further.

Which ladies do you feel have the best quad jumps? Who else has joined these ranks?

Franklin99

Medalist
Didn't Surya fall after she landed her quad? I remember her celebrating when she landed, only to splat on her face immediately after. I know it's wrong, but that splat always has me :rofl: when I watch it.

starlight97

Final Flight
Well we all heard about the fact that Sotnikova wants to try it or that her coach believes she could do it... so maybe her, even though I don't think she's actually gonna go for it

Amei

Record Breaker
Well we all heard about the fact that Sotnikova wants to try it or that her coach believes she could do it... so maybe her, even though I don't think she's actually gonna go for it

Sotnikova needs to get more consistent about landing the doubles/triples in competition before she tries quads in competition.

The one thing that concerns me about a lady trying the quad in competition is that she'll become like Mao Asada and become married to the move and get to the point where she 'has' to do it and the rest of her skating/program suffer.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yulia Lip is rumored to be practicing the quad. She loves watching guys with quads, so it's understandable that she wants one for herself.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Mao's been doing the triple axel since she was a little girl. I don't think Adelina starting a quad at 17 would have the same connection with the jump as Mao did with hers. Not to mention, I don't think the triple axel was a bad thing for Mao. She made history with it, twice, at the Olympics (first woman to land 3 triple axels in one competition; first woman to land 8 triples, one of every kind, in the LP).

Speaking of Mao, to add to the OP, Mao has landed quads in practice, I believe.

My take on it: If it's decently stable in practice, by all means, go for it! It's an exciting prospect, but I don't want people splatting day in and day out. And considering the penalty for URs... I don't think anyone will attempt it. Liza and Adelina could potentially do it, if they stay injury-free and can hold their nerve.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Surya was training it before the Nagano Olympics. (I remember reading that she was landing 4S but unable to land a 3F in practices at her home rink.)

Of the active ladies, I would think Adelina has the height but not the technique to land it. While she jumps big, her 3T is often leaning in the air. She is able to land it, but I think adding another rotation would throw her off. Perhaps Julia could do the 4S because she rotates so fast.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Mao's been doing the triple axel since she was a little girl. I don't think Adelina starting a quad at 17 would have the same connection with the jump as Mao did with hers. Not to mention, I don't think the triple axel was a bad thing for Mao. She made history with it, twice, at the Olympics (first woman to land 3 triple axels in one competition; first woman to land 8 triples, one of every kind, in the LP).

Speaking of Mao, to add to the OP, Mao has landed quads in practice, I believe.

My take on it: If it's decently stable in practice, by all means, go for it! It's an exciting prospect, but I don't want people splatting day in and day out. And considering the penalty for URs... I don't think anyone will attempt it. Liza and Adelina could potentially do it, if they stay injury-free and can hold their nerve.

There are videos of Mao as a young girl attempting the quad salchow but I guess she never quite got it

Looking at the girls right now maybe Adelina since her jumps are big but personally I think she's only going to be doing it in practice, too risky for her.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I think Mao has spoken about wanting to a quad after Vancouver, but between reworking her jump technique and everything, I don't think she could've had enough energy left to get a quad too...

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
the ladies with potential for a 4T in my opinion are: Sotnikova, Meite (she attempts 3A in run through in Euros and Oly), and Osmond.. all three girls 3T are HUGE and so potent! maybe Murakami, but she needs to fix her URs

Meoima

Match Penalty
the ladies with potential for a 4T in my opinion are: Sotnikova, Meite (she attempts 3A in run through in Euros and Oly), and Osmond.. all three girls 3T are HUGE and so potent! maybe Murakami, but she needs to fix her URs
If it's Meite, then I would jump with joy! I love her style! :love:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Here's a relevant video, ladies' 3-3s, 3A, and quad collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-IT72GWrWE

Seems to have omitted lots of people from the older era (Yamaguchi, Ito, Harding), but it's still worth a watch. The Japanese ladies seem to really be bringing it with the tech content, between Mao, Shizuka, and Miki! Any chance one of them could bring the quad or 3A to competition, especially if they feel like they need it to challenge the Russians? (Outside of the obvious choice of Mao herself, who absolutely refuses to compete without 3A ;)).

starlight97

Final Flight
I agree, Sotnikova is the only one that comes to my mind who has the height, but (therefore) she's lacking the speed to quadruple it. .. and also maybe the technique to land it if she were to make the rotations.
And also she would need to have the absolutely perfect timing and therefore would need nerves and consistency and I agree since she struggles to reliably land triples I don't think it's gonna happen.

Lipnitskaya on the other hand has the speed, but her jumps are some of the 'lowest' so ....And I don't think Gracie or any other top women could do it either..
But you never know ;)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I can't see anyone currently skating landing quads in competition. And frankly I don't want to see quads. If JuLip starts trying them I will scream. She's an injury already waiting to happen with her flexy moves. I'd rather see better spin positions, current take-off edges, and attention to detail than a quad in the ladies' comp. Unless someone is a Midori Ito I just don't want to see someone who shouldn't be attempting them in practice doing so.