Women and the Quad | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw a rumour on instagram saying Young You is landing very clean 3A and 4S, but no video proof because videos 'aren't allowed'

Can you give a link? Was it a report from someone in the rink where she landed them?

And why wasn't the videos "allowed"? Was it a closed session or was it from one of the Japanese shows where fancams are known to all to be disallowed?

Thank you

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Videos aren't allowed and yet we've seen plenty of videos now. I doubt clean quad would not get its way out, from training at least (and saying there was no such jump in trainings if it allegedly was on the show is as realistic as saying that somebody climbed Everest in high heels).

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I think people might be taking this all too personally and are missing point - on both sides.

If people are saying that Medvedeva attempted a quad that’s great. (Though unless it was a very crowded rink it being under show lights shouldn’t make a difference to her, only to the audience. But I’m no expert.) It shows she’s willing to fight to remain on top. Let’s see what comes of it.

However discussing it in the context of the upcoming GP is premature. Landing a jump in practice or even on video is meaningless until it is successfully done in competition. So often we hear about people, and even see the video evidence, jumping stuff in practice and nothing ever comes of it. So it’s perfectly natural to be a little skeptical.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Videos aren't allowed and yet we've seen plenty of videos now. I doubt clean quad would not get its way out, from training at least (and saying there was no such jump in trainings if it allegedly was on the show is as realistic as saying that somebody climbed Everest in high heels).

No one sees videos of Yuzu's practices at TCC. Because no video rules are strictly enforced. They may or may not be enforced elsewhere, I don't know:scratch3:

But people saying that a quad didn't happen because they've not seen videos that show it to their satisfaction; I don't have time for that kind of argument, it doesn't make any sense. *That* makes as much sense as Everest in summer clothes :laugh:

Quads that matter are quads that are called clean in comps. For me, in senior international comps. But that doesn't mean folks can't talk about, be interested in, and care about practices and shows. Of course they are. As well they ought:agree:

ETA: and I am interested in the IG on Young You, so if anyone has it, please let me know.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
Can you give a link? Was it a report from someone in the rink where she landed them?

And why wasn't the videos "allowed"? Was it a closed session or was it from one of the Japanese shows where fancams are known to all to be disallowed?

Thank you

I have personally seen Young You land both jumps, but-and I'm sorry-I can't remember where I saw it. I think the video was taken in Colorado, posted by one of the coaching staff there. (It was last year fyi)

katymay

Medalist
I saw a rumour on instagram saying Young You is landing very clean 3A and 4S, but no video proof because videos 'aren't allowed'

PS The video I saw of Young You she was landing 4T and 3A. The 4S is news to me, but I wouldn't doubt it. She is a powerful jumper, only hampered by a growth spurt last year.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight

Thank you

It was on @skater_on_ice 's story, not sure if it'll be there anymore. Videos weren't allowed because it was a training camp I think was the reason stated.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I wonder if Alysa is working on 4toe? I know she said the 4sal hasn't been successful, but her 3toe is automatic and I think she could add an extra rotation to it.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think Young You landed 4Lz before, TomZ posted video:biggrin: IIRC. it was very tight air rotation.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I think Young You landed 4Lz before, TomZ posted video:biggrin: IIRC. it was very tight air rotation.

Yes, I have seen it as well. It was slightly UR but it was a few months ago so I imagine what it may look like now :) I love Young, I hope she coped with her growth spurt and is ready to slay the quad and the 3A :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm really worried about these young women training so many quads. So many top female skaters have been sidelined (or saw their careers end) because of skating-related injuries, and I don't think any of them trained quads that much: Lipinski (hip), Kwan (foot, hip), Kim (back), Mao (knee), Medvedeva (foot), plus many others. I hope this generation of quad-jumpers will still be able to compete at 18, but I have doubts.

Tere19

Rinkside
I'm really worried about these young women training so many quads. So many top female skaters have been sidelined (or saw their careers end) because of skating-related injuries, and I don't think any of them trained quads that much: Lipinski (hip), Kwan (foot, hip), Kim (back), Mao (knee), Medvedeva (foot), plus many others. I hope this generation of quad-jumpers will still be able to compete at 18, but I have doubts.

But injuries are going to happen always Anna S. got injured in a triple...wel yes after having been doing quads so maybe she was tired and fell hard and very bad...but she is now fine and well

Kittosuni

Medalist
She did 3Lo+3T and 3F+3T at the Moscow Cup, but fell on both. She did a successful 2A+1Eu+3S though.
She also did 3Lz+3T(<) with negative GOE at the Moscow Open.

She can do an easier triple combo of 3T-3T in the SP and with her 3A, her layout would still be very competitive.

and for the LP she can still just do an easier combo of 3T+3T with a layout something like this and still very competitive.

3T+3T
2A+Eu+3S
3A+2T
3A
3F
3Lz
3Loop

if she is not comfortable doing two 3A she still can repeat one of her other triple jumps

Unfortunately for her she is in Russia and has to compete for a spot to even get an outside assignment.