Women and the Quad | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

zounger

Medalist
From top of my head, I think Alexandra's quad is around 63-65 cm and second highest are Tomoe's 3F or 3Lz with around 58cm.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
To push themselves? To give them something to aim for?
I don't agree that just because we haven't seen footage of it means they can't do it. Tursynbaeva came out of nowhere in the later half of last season and landed her rumoured 4S in competition.
And in terms of Jason, not to derail the ladies quad thread, but there he has landed his quad salchow in warm-up and confirmed by brian, he just struggles with consistency and particularly performance nerves. But he doesn't completely lack the ability to do it.
Anyway, I think we will see more and more ladies adding jumps like this to their layouts, because the sport is moving forwards and quads/triple axels are becoming more of a threat, particularly with the rise of the russian juniors. As with the men, at some point (maybe soon) good triples won't be enough to win, so kudos to all these ladies pushing themselves to be as good as they can be.

Elizabet was landing her quads and quad combos since 2016 on videos, she also landed 4S+3T in the beginning of February this year, few weeks before 4CC, so her quads were never „rumored“, they were quite very real the whole time and everyone knew about them.

I disagree, from my experience of watching FS by this point, when skater lands a jump, at least in some form people are made aware of that, so if Satoko had a 3A or a quad, we’d probably know :)
It’s not about Jason, he was just an example of this behavior that makes no sense to me, sort of like Vasiljevs/Dimitriev strategy: announcing and putting a jump/jumps in programs that we all know they’re not going to land.

Pushing yourself is good, or at least was good when you could rotate and fall from a jump and get enough points. Last season this kind of strategy proved to be disadvantageous, since a clean triple will give you way more than a fall from a quad, so does a clean 2A vs a fall from 3A.

And I honestly don’t think it’s about „pushing yourself“, just seems like not a very wise strategy from people who struggle with consistency and URs even on triples. Just my opinion.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Do we know that they don’t do it in practice? As far as I know, Kaori has been working on the 3A for years, on and off/not consistently, and same for Gabby and the 4T.
Kaori has been training 3A since her junior years, but its not consistent and mostly UR back then, you can look up youtube to see her attempt. Satoko have been talking about practicing 3A since a year ago. Gabby have trained 4T since 2017 when she still with Orser and publicly said planned to attempt it in Canadian Nationals 2018 but she dismiss that plan.

I mean we saw Wakaba landing 3A years ago but didn't include it in programs
She got injured last season and stop training it so we wont see it soon sadly

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Elizabet was landing her quads and quad combos since 2016 on videos, she also landed 4S+3T in the beginning of February this year, few weeks before 4CC, so her quads were never „rumored“, they were quite very real the whole time and everyone knew about them.

I disagree, from my experience of watching FS by this point, when skater lands a jump, at least in some form people are made aware of that, so if Satoko had a 3A or a quad, we’d probably know :)
It’s not about Jason, he was just an example of this behavior that makes no sense to me, sort of like Vasiljevs/Dimitriev strategy: announcing and putting a jump/jumps in programs that we all know they’re not going to land.

Pushing yourself is good, or at least was good when you could rotate and fall from a jump and get enough points. Last season this kind of strategy proved to be disadvantageous, since a clean triple will give you way more than a fall from a quad, so does a clean 2A vs a fall from 3A.

And I honestly don’t think it’s about „pushing yourself“, just seems like not a very wise strategy from people who struggle with consistency and URs even on triples. Just my opinion.

While it didn't work out for them, I give these guys credit for actually following through with their intentions to put such elements in their program, even with the unlikelihood of landing it. Especially Artur's 4A, which I didn't actually think any skater at this point would have had the guts to go for in competition.

Same goes for ladies and their quads. I mean, obviously train safely, but in some competitions you end up surprising yourself with your ability to execute (see: Tursynbaeva's 4S, or Midori landing a second half 3A).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

andromache

Record Breaker
For a 'starter', it looks solid and dependable already. Only one quad thrown in warmups, though several run ins were made. She will only grow into her quad while the season progresses. Just don't fall and injure yourself, Kamila.

Yes, I am very (pleasantly) surprised at how solid it looks!

The speed she has in and out of it is incredible, especially compared to other attempts (like Alysa Liu's 4Lz).